Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:52:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 67
Total: 67

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hepatitis c risk?  (Read 10514 times)

Offline anxietyx10

Hepatitis c risk?
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:18:13 am »
Hello everyone,

I am a 20 year old man from Canada. I think I might have had a risk for hepatitis C that I cannot stop worrying about. About a week ago I shared 4 marijuana pipes at a party. There was about 5 of us who used them in total (no crack pipes were used and no drugs of that sort or injected drugs were present). I have a habit of picking my lips and I had picked my lips a bit earlier in the day so my lips were rough and maybe possibly bleeding? But none that I was aware of. I also did not notice any blood on the pipes or on the mouths of any people there. The next day, I was picking at my lip again (out of nervousness over this incident) and then I squeezed my lip to see if it could cause bleeding. Once squeezing my lip very hard, a drop of blood did appear. I am nervous that I may have gotten hepatitis C on my hand from the party the day before and then it transferred from my hand to me when I squeezed the drop of blood out of my lip. I also took out and put in my contacts. I did not notice any blood from anyone else besides my own that I squeezed out at any point on my hands or the pipes. I also got my wisdom teeth out about a month ago, but those have not bled since that time I do not believe. My cheek is also a little sore but I do not believe it bled either. I have never injected drugs or used a crack pipe.

Do you think I need to get tested over this incident? I asked a doctor on Medhelp, and he told me that this was not a risk for hepatitis c and I did not need to get tested. I am very anxious over this incident and im not able to relax. I understand that I think I could have had a theoretical risk but the question is really where to draw the line with my fears. I mean, even getting a manicure is considered a risk but I don’t believe that people who receive one should be panicking about HCV as I am right now. Recently I’ve become kind of obsessed with the idea of getting a disease and I did test for Hepatitis C and all STDs just a few months ago – all negative. The thought of going through another three months of anxiety absolutely terrifies me.

Offline sweet_susie

Re: Hepatitis c risk?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:32:42 pm »
Hi Anxiety,

Welcome the forums.

Hepatitis C is spread through blood-to-blood contact. It doesn't sound like there was any blood interaction with the pipe so I'm inclined to agree with your medHelp doc.

But at the end of the day it's your life, so if you feel the need to get tested again go for it. Better safe than sorry.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
Re: Hepatitis c risk?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:42:49 pm »
I doubt there is any risk at all...  My wife and I kissed more than a few times, and I have Hep C our entire 25 year marriage, and she does not. 

However, the incubation period for Hep C is six months, so schedule a blood test in September and stop worrying.   Perhaps more care in your lifestyle might be a good mirror discussion at some point?  :)

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.