Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 93
Total: 93

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any updates on treatment for those who are co-infected?  (Read 19158 times)

Offline d-boy86

Any updates on treatment for those who are co-infected?
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:56:26 am »
I keep reading some post here which I find to be discouraging. However, this may be due to the fact of the information being out dated. Any luck with treatment updates for those who have both?

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
Re: Any updates on treatment for those who are co-infected?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:41:48 pm »
The most recent treatment update is from March:
Incivek Improves Outcome and Halves Treatment Time for HCV in HIV-Positive Men
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/Incivek_HIV_2501_23658.shtml

The 7th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention (IAS 2013) just wrapped up in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I asked our editorial team if they had seen any new co-infection treatment updates and they said no. If anything pops up I'll post it here.

The next conference where news may be announced is the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC 2013) in September.

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:24:11 am »
The most recent treatment update is from March:
Incivek Improves Outcome and Halves Treatment Time for HCV in HIV-Positive Men
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/Incivek_HIV_2501_23658.shtml

The 7th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention (IAS 2013) just wrapped up in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I asked our editorial team if they had seen any new co-infection treatment updates and they said no. If anything pops up I'll post it here.

The next conference where news may be announced is the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC 2013) in September.

Thanks! Any idea on when this will be available for use for those who are co-infected?

Offline fullof?

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:31:14 am »
Hi d-boy,

Have you seen the TAG pipeline report?
http://www.treatmentactiongroup.org/sites/tagone.drupalgardens.com/files/201306/2013%20Pipeline%20Report.pdf

It's got a ton of information on HCV treatment drug development. Jump to page 181 for the HCV/HIV information. Here's some of what they have to say...

HIV/HCV Coinfection
HCV coinfection increases AIDS-related, liver-related, and all-cause mortality among people with HIV, despite use of antiretroviral therapy (ART).37,38 The incidence of HCV-related complications has been rising sharply among HIV/HCVcoinfected people. Since 1996, the incidence of cirrhosis among HIV/HCV-coinfected patients in care at the Veteran’s Administration (VA) has risen from 3.5% to 13.2%, and hepatocellular carcinoma from 0.07% to 1.62%— a shocking 23-fold increase.

Clearly, people who are HIV/HCV-coinfected ought to be a priority population for DAA trials, since they are at risk for more rapid HCV progression. Sponsors stand to benefit from supporting these trials, since systems that deliver ART to HIVpositive people could be expanded to include DAAs for both HCV-coinfected and HCV-monoinfected people. But development of peginterferon-free trials has been lagging: as of May 2013, only one peginterferon-free trial (sofosbuvir and ribavirin) was open to HIV/HCV-coinfected people; ongoing trials with simeprevir, faldaprevir, and daclatasvir are peginterferon-based.

But there is welcome news: initial reports that HIV does not appear to be a prognostic factor when a DAA is added to peginterferon and ribavirin have been supported by data from trials of telaprevir-based treatment, as well as interim reports from STARTVerso 4 (faldaprevir-based treatment) and the TMC435-C212 (simeprevirbased treatment) study.

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 01:12:44 pm »
Hi d-boy,

Have you seen the TAG pipeline report?
http://www.treatmentactiongroup.org/sites/tagone.drupalgardens.com/files/201306/2013%20Pipeline%20Report.pdf

It's got a ton of information on HCV treatment drug development. Jump to page 181 for the HCV/HIV information. Here's some of what they have to say...

Thanks. None of this looks promising for those who are coinfected though, or am I reading it incorrectly?

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 09:39:36 am »
Here is some news out of the International AIDS Society (IAS) Conference in Kuala Lumpur. Unfortunately it isn't good.

Hep B or C Coinfection Spells Worse Response to HIV Meds
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/coinfection_treatment_2501_24270.shtml

People with HIV who are coinfected with either hepatitis B or C virus (HBV/HCV) experience diminished response to antiretroviral (ARV) treatment for HIV and have a greater risk of death when compared with those monoinfected with HIV.

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:26:24 pm »
I read that. However, I believe this is only for those who are just starting treatment. My HIV has been well controlled and undetectable for over 3 years. Even after testing positive for Hep C. So that I'm not worried about.

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 12:02:11 pm »
Finally some good news...

Victrelis Ups Hep C Cure Rates in Those Coinfected With HIV
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/Victrelis_coinfected_2501_24273.shtml

Looks like it was just for folks new to treatment.

The investigators conducted a double-blind, randomized, controlled Phase II trial of 99 coinfected adults who had untreated genotype 1 of hep C and an undetectable HIV viral load.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.