Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:21:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 142
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 152
Total: 152

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Manicure Question  (Read 32511 times)

Offline Curious23

Manicure Question
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:45:34 pm »
Hello. I have a situation that I would like an opinion on. I received a manicure from a place that does not appear to sterilize their instruments between customers. Unfortunately, I realized this too late for it to matter. I did not see the tools (clippers/cuticle trimmers) come out of an autoclave or sterilization liquid. Unfortunately, they also clearly reused buffers/ files between customers. I am only worried about the cuticle nippers because the rest of the tools did not touch my skin in any compromising way. However, I did get a cuticle trim. I did not notice any blood on the tool (that was obvious, at least) and I did not get noticeable, bleeding cut a far as I can tell. However, I have heard that hep can be transmitted through clear fluid that the cuticles can release when being cut or through microscopic particles of blood. Do you think this is a realistic mode of transmission for hep? Would I have to have an obviously bleeding wound or would microscopic particles matter? My NP says that she wouldn't be concerned as I didn't get an obvious cut/subsequent infection and therefore do not need a hep test. What do you think? I apologize if this is a silly question. Thank you!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Manicure Question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:54:19 pm »
It is not a silly question. It is a very remote possibility and one that I have ached over. However, your NP is right - if you didn't see blood it is unlikely hep C was present. Best way to sleep better is to do your own manicures or get your own professional clippers and bring them with you to your appts. Although the risk is very small, I just couldn't stand the way I felt, so I gave them up. However, the first thing I did when I became nondetectable was get a manicure and pedicure. I didn't realize how much this meant in terms of feeling free.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Curious23

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:59:17 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it! Yeah, she said that if I wasn't visibly bleeding or infected after the manicure, that I shouldn't be concerned. Do you think testing is unnecessary then? I would be much more concerned if I had actually gotten cut, which I've read many people do. Ugh! I definitely will not be continuing them unless I am able to find a place that is much more sanitary. Yikes. Anyway, I'm really glad you were able to get a good mani/pedi and that it made you feel free! That's really important! :)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:32:29 pm »
Hi - I misunderstood the question - I though you were more concerned about transmitting hep C than getting it. As for getting it, with no cut then no way. However, if you were born between 1945 and 1965, the CDC recommends one time testing for everyone. If you fall in this category, I'd wait 6 mos and then you can really know for sure about the manicure issue. BTW, to my knowledge, there has never been a documented case of someone getting hep C from a manicure. It is only a theoretical risk.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Curious23

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:12 pm »
No worries at all! Yeah, I am worried about the possibility of acquiring Hep C through cuticle clipping w/o an obvious cut/bleeding wound. I had read that it could be transmitted w/o visible blood through cuticle clipping, but I am not sure how realistic this is, since it seems like a substantial amount of blood (re-visible) would need to present for there to be a concern. What are your thoughts? I have been tested (Neg) for Hep in the past (I wouldn't need the one-time test), so would you recommend testing for this event? Thank you!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:53:01 pm »
In short, no I would not.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Curious23

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:14 pm »
Thank you very much, I appreciate it! I definitely let the internet scare me. Can I ask you about one more scenario? Can I get Hep C from scratching the inside of my nose (to the point that it bled a few droplets from being dry) if I have microscopic hep particles under my nail after sharing a pen with a client that has it (and may have microscopic blood particles on his fingers)? I shared a pen with this clt, washed my hands, came home, washed my hands again (but didn't pay specific attention to the nail area b/c I wasn't thinking about it at the time) and then scratched the inside of my nose and accidently made it bleed a little? Would this be a realistic mode of transmission? Should I get tested or is this ridiculous? Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:27:08 pm »
Ridiculous is not the word I'd use - I'd say it was quite imaginative, and although not impossible, it is highly unlikely/
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Curious23

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:39 pm »
Thanks for being so nice! :) It isn't testing worthy then, right?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 08:47:43 am »
right - not worth testing
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Curious23

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 06:30:07 pm »
Thank you for your reply! I have one final (and probably very far-fetched scenario) to ask you about. I shared a clipboard/pen with a person who is hep c /hiv positive. I washed my hands as I normally do after I was leaving. I then picked up the clipboard/my phone and went home. An hour or so later, I was eating candy and cut my lip badly and it was bleeding. I then touched it with my hand and accidentally wiped it off with with the paper towel I had used to wipe stuff off of my phone earlier. Is it possible that microscopic particles of hep could have gotten onto my hand from my phone/clipboard/ paper towel and then gotten into my bleeding cut to infect me? Are microscopic particles actually infectious in this manner? I'm sorry to ask you this, but want to make sure and you were very helpful to me before. Thank you!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 07:21:41 pm »
These situations you are describing are extremely unlikely - asking if these are possible is like asking me if it is possible to get strangled by a chimpanzee while you are on your way to work - yes, it is possible but very unlikely. Honestly, life is way too short to be thinking about these scenarios, and I hope you can find a way to put this into perspective.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Curious23

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »
Thank you! I appreciate the analogy! :) So not even if I wiped invisible particles from my phone and then used that same paper towel to wipe my bleeding lip cut? It's so difficult to distinguish fact from actual risk online. I am looking into therapy for this issue, because I am recognizing that it clearly isn't normal to focus on things this minute. You've helped me a lot in the meantime though, I appreciate it.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 06:55:14 pm »
If it was passed that easily, everyone would have it. Therapy sounds like a great idea - congratulations to you for taking this step.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.