Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:03:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 143
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 92
Total: 92

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep c  (Read 16249 times)

Offline Marcopolo24

Hep c
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:52:10 am »
Hi. I would like to have your opinion if it's possible about something that bothers me ... My dad has Hep C and he cut himself with a knife a few days ago... It's a knife that we use to do some construction jobs inside the house...I used the same knife today and I skratched my finger with the same knife ... It was not a deep cut and it certainly did not need stitches ...I saw some blood coming out of my fingers but I only noticef 5-10 min after I cut myself... So it was not deep at all... From what I understand... Hep C virus needs to have access to your veins ... Which is not really possible in my case because my cut was not deep.. Do you think there is a risk of contracting the virus ? Should I get tested or can I move on? Thx a lot!!

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
Re: Hep c
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:50:58 am »
Not sure of your age, but don't you get some sort of schedule check-up annually?  I would suggest you get tested, but the incubation period is months, so I would wait until at least May.  You probably are fine, but silly not to test for the anti-bodies, but that should be routine in most blood tests. -jack

Offline Marcopolo24

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:19:21 am »
Yes I do get tested at least once a year. Last time I got tested was last june and everything was fine. I just wanted to know if HEP C can have access to your bloodstream by superficial wound and how long does the virus can live once exposed to oxygen... You said that i'm probably fine... Is it because this situation was not really a risk? I will get tested in 3-6 months... But in the meantime i would like some peace of mind ... Thanks

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:52:32 pm »
No one can answer this question really.  Could it infect you? The answer is yes.  Hep C is hard to kill as the IV drug users using bleach learned the hard way. Good luck and let us know.

Offline Marcopolo24

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 07:35:45 pm »
I agree with the fact that the virus is hard to kill and that it is possible that the blood on the knife was still infectious. I was directed to your website and I was told you guys were the best in regards to Hep.  My question is about my superficial cut... I was told by SIS -HEP (from france) that even if the blood was still infectious... My wound was too "superficial" and the virus could not get into my bloodstream like that. To enter the bloodstream, the virus has to access your veins (injecting drugs... Really deep cut, blood transfusion, tattoos, etc) i just want to know why 2 big website about hep C like  hepmag.com and like SIS HEP ( http://www.sis.asso.fr/?Hepatites-Info-Service&v=mobile )  don't agree about superficial wound and HEP C transmission ....  Thanks a lot for clarification

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.