Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:16:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 147
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: dr called today and said i need a blood transfusion like tomorrow  (Read 15937 times)

Offline Marilyn666

This is my third post and by far my most interesting i think.  The dr called today and said i need a blood transfusion like tomorrow.  I knew this was a remote possibility but i was really surprised by this.  My hemoglobin baseline was 146 and it is now down to 69, but im 9 weeks into treatment, in other words this didn't happen overnight.  i was just wondering if there was anyone else out there that this happened to and what this means to my treatment (i have already reduced my ribivirin because i was told to) and also what i can expect tomorrow.  im not gonna lie, feeling nervous.

thanks for listening,

Marilyn

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
Re: dr called today and said i need a blood transfusion like tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:16:54 pm »
Hi Marilyn,

Can't speak from experience of your situation but did want to wish you luck tomorrow and let you know everyone here is rooting for you to slay the dragon.

- Ian

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:38:00 am »
How are you doing Marilyn? Just thinking about you and sending healing thoughts.
Lucinda
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Marilyn666

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
I am doing great thanks for asking. The blood transfusion helped alot and made me feel a lot better.  It wasn't nearly as scary as i imagined so now we all have experience with that on this forum as well.  I just took my last dose of Incivek about 2 hours ago as well and that has improved my mood considerably.  I f$%%$#% did it.  Yipppeeeeeeeee!!!!!!  I do not consider myself a particularly strong willed person and I did it so if I can, anybody can.  There really is a light at the end of the tunnel and even if my viral load is not undetectable, im still really proud of myself for following through and committing myself 100%. i know i still have 36 more weeks to go but i think i got through the hardest part of it. 

Wishing everyone encouraging thoughts and prayers,

Marilyn

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:28:09 pm »
I love your attitude! Congratulations.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline nsgirlie

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:06:05 pm »
i to have low hemoglobin numbers and had 3 transfusions since Sept 2013. My hemoglobin went from 14.5 to as low as 6. Can't breathe and huffing and puffing all the time. Feel good for about 10 days after transfusion and then awful again. It has never gone above 9 since i began treatment. Genotype 3. 24 week treatment with pega and riba. Had to reduce riba after 4 weeks from 1200 to 600 per day. Was worried that i wouldn't stay Undetected with dose reduction but just had 16 week PCR and i am still UND! Losing hair now but don't have long to go. Still working but hit the bed for the night at 5 pm and all weekend. Just drag myself around all day but thankful i don't have a manual labour job. In sales, so can do a lot in the office. Best of luck to you and if you have to have a transfusion, well i found that the benefits are worth it. Breathing is good.

Offline Marilyn666

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:22:43 pm »
hey there,

I agree the benefits did outweigh the experience.  Thankfully, i haven't had to have another transfusion but i know what you mean, about the breathing thing.  i feel bad for you to have to keep going through it though.  This treatment experience comes with so much more that anyone can ever imagine.  I am in week 21 now and undetectable thank goodness.  Keep fighting the good fight. We are all 100% behind you.

Marilyn

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:51:05 am »
WOW! You two are awesome to go through this and yes it will be worth it. The side effects are something that you really have to experience, aren't they! Really not fun.  I lost like 35 pounds my first 48 week go around, and had to get both white and red blood boosters, but transfusions, OMG... all I can say is keep going and beat this virus!  BTW, I am older with grey hair, and my hair thinned a lot, but came in chestnut brown, which was funny.  The interferon interferes with the natural peroxide that greys your hair.  Didn't last long unfortunately.

Letting out a cheer for you both.  Do keep us informed too.

-jack

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.