Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:56:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 143
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 117
Total: 117

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sofosbuvir Monotherapy  (Read 12540 times)

Offline ninja

Sofosbuvir Monotherapy
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:45:05 pm »
I've been crunching numbers and can only really see a small 7-8% leg up with using Ribavirin  for genotype 2s, treating with sovaldi & ribavirin, even if it is not officially approved. I was wondering what people's thoughts are with regard to monotherapy and ditching Ribavirin in the case of those at too much risk for multiple side effects.
I could only find one subject in a large study who experienced resistance, which then reverted.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Sofosbuvir Monotherapy
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:24:01 pm »
 My personal (not professional) opinion is that you think like I think. I think that ribavirin is actually every bit of a challenge as iinterferon.i don't know if ledispavir will be used with solvaldi for gen 2, but if you can wait, it might be worth it to see what some of the drugs in the pipeline will be offering for gen 2
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:50:03 pm »
We posted this piece earlier in the year around how tough it has been to remove Ribavirin from the treatment paradigm. Although as Lucinda points out, the pipeline is filled with contenders trying to make the jump.

The REAL Drug to Beat in Hepatitis C Treatment: Ribavirin
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/ribavirin_hepatitisc_2502_12232.shtml

Offline ninja

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 11:18:33 am »
First of all, Lucinda, thank you so much for replying and for your insight. I have been reading you since shortly after I was diagnosed five years ago, and it has been incredibly helpful. I am now fully sensitized to the challenges providers face with limited options and the judgment calls that doctors and patients have to make.
On the other hand, much like how it was with HIV meds, patients have to conduct their own risk assessments and crunch their own numbers.
 Somewhat off topic, the truth is that genotype 2s will become the consumer guinea pigs for geno 1s with Sovaldi. Also I'll bet, because of the cost, Sovaldi will soon start getting restricted by staging until it becomes generic, which is a long ways off.
Thanks also Iana for that article, I hadn't seen it. Ledispavir looks good as did Daclatsavir, but that seems 1-2 years down the road. Sovaldi seems to be for now the stronger of the one-two punch. It's like banging a piece of wood, if you bang it too hard it splits. All hypothetical of course.  Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:24:14 am by ninja »

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 09:29:38 am »
Hi,
Just a quick reply- Gilead announced it will go to the FDA in the first quarter of 2014 for approval of ledispavir with Sovaldi, so I guess it wll be available before the liver meeting in 2014. However I don't know if they are going to get an indication for geno 2
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.