Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:26:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 105
Total: 105

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: geno type 3 just started treatment  (Read 25936 times)

Offline kickinhepc

geno type 3 just started treatment
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:55:24 pm »
Hi
Is there anyone on this forum who has recently started treatment for hep c geno type 3? Im finishing my first week of interferon alpha and ribavirin combo therapy. I have one shot a week and take 7 ribavirin capsules a day, so far I've had minor nausea but feel tired a lot and after my first shot I woke up 5hrs later with some vicious chills. Please share your treatment experience. Thank you

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
Re: geno type 3 just started treatment
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:37:37 pm »
Hi kickinhepc:
Your forum name says it all! As you will see browsing this forum the dual therapy side effects are lots of fun, and you just need to be strong and tough it out.  24 to 48 hours after the interferon is the roughest time, so get rest, drink fluids and remember your best friend is ibuprofin.  I have done 72 interferon shots (and am allergic to ibuprofin and relatives!), and some here have done more than that, and you should be facing 24 weeks and can get through this and get cured.  The blood test at 4 weeks and 12 weeks will be important indicators of your progress, so let us know.  Interferon will cause mood swings so have friends and family informed to support you.  Stay positive and remember the goal.  Good luck! -jack

Offline kickinhepc

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:43:19 pm »
Thanks jack! Your encouragement is so appreciated.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:56 pm »
No problem! Time will pass quickly.  Just seems like a bad distant dream to me now.  Note: Wipe with an alcohol swab, pinch some tummy flab firm and tight, insert the needle at a 45 degree angle, plunge, and pull straight out... wiggling is bad!  I found this made the shot near painless.  Take a couple of ibuprofin and go to bed! (I always did my shots Friday night so I felt reasonably OK by Monday morning.)  Let us know how you are doing and your blood test results.  -jack

Offline Marilyn666

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:49:26 am »
i wish us all health and healing.  i want to slay the dragon more than ive ever wanted anything and i want it for everybody here.  positive thoughts and encouragement are essential to our healing.  this might be the hardest thing we ever do but it will be the most worthwhile gift we can give ourselves. I believe in all of you to heal.

Marilyn

Offline nsgirlie

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:14:57 pm »
I am genotype 3 and on same treatment. 24 weeks and will take shot 21 tomorrow ( Friday ). My first two shots made me very ill with chills and stayed in bed. I agree to take on weekend and sleep through it. I was undetected at 4 weeks but hemoglobin dropped to 6 and had to reduce riba from 1200 to 600 a day after 4 weeks. Just had PCR at 16 weeks and am still undetected. Had 3 blood transfusions since i began and hgb still low. At 19 weeks my hair is coming out in handfuls. But...to clear this virus will be worth it all. I worked full time throughout the treatment but hit the bed as soon as i got home and all weekend. I find the riba is what is making me so ill. Interferon got better as the weeks passed. All the best to you and hoping your treatment gets betterand SVR at the end :) BTW...so far have lost 30 lbs. I

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:27:07 pm »
nsgirlie,
Congrats on being so close to being done!  4 weeks UD means really good chance of cure.  The blood test in 16 weeks will be the magic one!  Is your hair coming back a different color?  Mine did, but I am all grey.  Your hair will come back, and unfortunately so does all the weight!  I was 182 pounds and went down to 147 pounds my first time, but that was 48 weeks.  The Riba seems to be what cause blood counts to drop, but none of the side effects are fun! You will recover very fast after you stop the meds, and feel so much better...  Let us know in 16 weeks!  -jack

Offline nsgirlie

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 01:32:18 pm »
Thanks Jack...i will let you know. They say that if you are und at 4 weeks and 16 weeks, that you have a great chance of svr. Fingers crossed. I hope i don't gain back the pounds. I look so good :) I was 175 going in and now 145 or a bit less. I thought the weight loss might have been from the fact that i gave up alcohol of course and eating like a bird. Gonna try and keep it off if at all possible. My hair just started falling out a few weeks ago so no new growth. But i did notice that i haven't had to dye and touch up roots for quite some time. Don't really see any grey. That's a positive along with the virus being undetected. Its a rough go, but will be totally worth it in the end to achieve SVR.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 02:35:03 pm »
Interesting tidbit that the interferon 'interferes' with the natural peroxide production that greys your hair. My hair came in as a very fine chestnut brown.  Unfortunately the effect does not last.  Cant wait to hear your good news! -jack

Offline kickinhepc

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 04:46:44 pm »
Hi nsgirlie,
I think weight loss is a huge silver lining through all these side effects!I'm hoping to lose some weight as well...I was also concerned about the hair loss I already have very fine hair and really have nothing to spare LOL so far i'm doing well with week one it's been up and down tired, weak,nauseous and a weird build up oh phlegm in the back of my throat started on day 4 and has not gone away I find ice cold club soda helps. This first week has been tough mentally as I struggle with depression and staying home alone all day sleeping and feeling sick has left me feeling like I have no purpose.Before treatment I was very busy going to university and working part time now i'm on medical leave and no plans other than treatment and getting rid of this virus! All the best!

Offline karenhoyt

• IHelpC
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:52:44 am »
The hair loss can make you feel bad even on a good day! It is so temporary and a small price to pay. I ended up with a wig, but I was on the Incivik for 43 weeks. Hopefully you won't lose as much!
Now my hair grows so fast and thick. It's unbelievable how our body begins to heal the minute we finish treatment. Try and avoid shampooing as much. Be really gentle with your hair. I also used a satin pillowcase so it wouldn't pull it out at night.
All my best to you!
Karen:)

Offline Sally

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 03:33:11 am »
Hi, I to am Geno 3a and I just started the same treatment as you only I take the shot (Tuesday nights) and 2 pills morning and 2 more at night, I started Jan 14th..I take 1000mgs of Tylenol extra strength, I figured my Dr would have had me on Advil but she said it doesn't have as much effect on the pain as the TY does..I drink 8-10 glasses of water every day and I haven't had much for side effects. I'm wondering as time goes on will I get any sicker? So far so good although I am tired a lot! Good luck with your treatment :)

Offline Sally

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 03:34:15 am »
Sorry I meant to say I take 1000mgs of extra strength Ty 4 times a day keeps the body aches away lol

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 10:35:21 am »
Sally,

Good luck with your treatment. Stay positive, take your meds religiously, and know that every day is one day closer to being cured.  I would never go against doctors orders, but I am shocked by the statement about tylenol.  Acetaminophen toxicity to the liver is a known warning, and most liver docs ask that you avoid it.  I am allergic to aspirin & derivatives like ibuprofen, so my doctors put me on a strict maximum dosage of acetaminophen, and I think it was 1500 or 2000 mg per day.  I would try to stay under 1000 mg if I could, taking just one extra strength pill twice a day, but often that wasn't enough. I would ask the doctor again, because I have to believe you are better off with ibuprofen. Again, the doctor gets the final say, but this struck me as curious.  Best wishes, and keep us informed. - jack

Offline Sally

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 02:26:23 am »
I thought the same thing when the Dr said Tylenol but she said Advil doesn't do anything for the pain and that's why she recommends the tylenol like she said we're well on our way to getting rid of my liver problems once my Hep C is cleared up I will go back to taking advil if ever needed.

Offline elvis

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 03:18:15 pm »
hello and good health. I just joined and wanted to share and read comments on treatments so we all can help each other however we can.
I have HepC genotype 3. I am 51 yrs old and have known about this since I was in my early 20's. I tried the Ribaviron and interferon and it's a tuff go however for me I gave up the treatment.
As of Jan this year 2014 the FDA approved a miracle drug that is a gamechanger with NO side effects called Sovaldi by a company called Gilead.
I am on Sovaldi once a day along with Riberviren (may have spelled that wrong) twice a day.
It's been a little over a month and my Viral count is going down.
The research shows a 93% to 98% cure rate.
I have a 24 week treatment and will be interesting to see results.
Downside is you need good insurance, $1000 a pill. However if you cantact Gilead corp they have a program there comping people $24,000.
All the best.
Elvis

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 03:51:01 pm »
Good luck to you and keep us informed.... from the dark days of 72 interferon shots and 20% success to 24 weeks of pills and 90% success in under 25 years is amazing!  Do let us know on the side effects, as I have no doubt they are diminished without the interferon, but I am guessing there will still be mood swings, possible rash and blood count issues, and maybe others - but very manageable for someone in decent heath.  Can't wait to hear how it goes.  Get cured!  jack

Offline Sally

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 01:11:36 pm »
Hi Peeps, I just got my blood test results and I'm 100% CLEAN YAYYYYYYYYYY I'm soooo excited :) My doctor can't believe it, I'm to finish all 24 treatments but that's fine, I can take being tired for another 17 weeks. I haven't felt this good in many years!

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 01:29:38 pm »
Sally,

Awesome news!  Getting to UD so fast means you are really responsive to the treatment, and it means you have a better than 90% chance of being cured if you successfully complete your treatment.  Remember that the best blood test available cannot detect a few viruses, so the continuation of the treatment is to make sure you destroy every damn one of them!  That is why we have to wait for a 3 month incubation period after you stop the meds to see if treatment worked.  But, I remember the tearful joy I had when I went UD at 4 weeks my 2nd time around, it means the drugs are working and you can get cured.  Stay positive and keep us informed!  -jack

Offline Sally

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 09:15:22 am »
Second time around? Now I'm worried! I figured when she said it was gone it means IT'S GONE!~ Not a true fact?? The doctor said I had to finish treatment to make sure it doesn't come back but how could it, IF IT'S GONE??? I'm confused lol

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 09:41:45 am »
Sally,
Don't be worried, just successfully complete your full treatment regimen.  As I said, blood tests cannot detect whether the virus is truly gone or not.  Look at the results they gave you, and you will likely see a 7< next to the HCV quant test, or could say HCV Not Detected.  But think about what '5' viruses in a tiny blood sample means even undetected there still could be lots of viruses in your system - probably not, but this is why the treatment continues - there were billions of viruses in your body, and they want to get them all.  True cure as defined by the CDC is a blood test 180 days post treatment as a viral incubation period, and if UD then, you are considered cured.  Most hepatologists now believe a 90 day incubation period is all that is warranted to measure SVR (Sustained Virologic Response), hence, as in my case, you will likely get a blood test at 3 & 6 month post treatment.  The incubation period gives the virus time to reproduce after the meds have stopped - hence you wait, which is not fun.  I did dual therapy (peg-interferon/ribavirin) in 2004 for 48 weeks, went UD at 24 weeks, then had a 5 mil HCV load 6 months after my treatment.  I did Incivek triple therapy in 2012, was UD at 4 weeks! - and UD at 3 and 6 months post treatment - cured!  Your being UD at 4 weeks, as I said, bodes incredibly well for you - you need to feel incredibly great about your progress - but you & I am going to really celebrate in about 28 weeks, when that test is UD!  And it will be...  Hydrate, ibuprofin, take your meds religiously and KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE! Good luck, jack

Offline karenhoyt

• IHelpC
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 07:59:41 pm »
Sally,
Congratulations!!!
I agree with jberlin. That 4 week UND means a lot more now in terms of SVR than it did when you and I treated. I am so happy for you. It's tough during the cold months when you just feel ratty and tired. Yes! The hair grows! The energy returns! Life will come back even better than before.
Hang in there Sally!
xo Karen
www.ihelpc.com

Offline Sally

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 11:20:48 am »
Thanks sooo much, I have absolutely NO family support, so having positive feedback from you guys here is very important to me...I almost didn't start treatment, only 2 people know and my daughter was told, and I flipped out 7 years of NO ONE finding out I even had this, and my mother tells my daughter who has a big mouth when she's mad, the night before I started treatment, my 16 year old moved out, my 20 year old went on nutty, and my mother told me she was to sick to help me with my child that is only 5 I was devastated, then 4 weeks into it I wasn't that sick but very very tired, home work wasn't getting done, I was to tired to cook come supper time I just wanted to quit, every tuesday I get another shot done, and boy did my out look change when I got those results back I am so glad I was strong enough to continue I'm not a quitter but I felt so lost, now I'm glad I didn't give up, I feel like I have my life back, I'm starting to lose hair, 3 brush fulls this morning :( but that's ok!

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 12:10:44 pm »
Sally,

I am so proud of you.  Having been through this twice I know how tough it is.  Remember, other than us, ibuprofin is your best friend.  I do hope you get a little family support, it is much easier having a cheering section, and someone just to help once in a while.  You will get more tired, lose weight and hair as this goes on, but the hair will come back, and the weight comes back way too quickly, and you will have made your future self a whole lot healthier and happier!

One suggestion, let family members read through this forum, even ask a question if one comes to mind.  Having Hep C is nothing to be ashamed of and you are what you choose to do next, period!  You can and will beat this nasty virus, and I do hope you will check in with us often.  (Do seek out the youtube videos I have posted in the past, they are very useful experiences to share as well.)  And, when you post again, start a new topic - this thread is too long!  Best wishes, jack

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.