Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:18:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are anti-HCV tests conclusive for everyone?  (Read 17531 times)

Offline confused49

Are anti-HCV tests conclusive for everyone?
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:05 pm »
Hi, I have recently read on a Polish website that up to 7% of immunocompetent infected people do not have anti-HCV antibodies, if that was true then testing for antibodies would be useless for as many as 7% of people. I have not seen such information on any other site (including CDC) and I am worried as I tested negative for HCV antibodies at 13 weeks post exposure and now I do not know what to think. I was inclined to repeat the test at 6 months after exposure as CDC suggests but now I am clueless. Has anyone heard something like this? Is a PCR test the only way to rule out the infection? Please help.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Are anti-HCV tests conclusive for everyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »
I have not heard that, and have no reason to believe this, esp with that high of %. I do know that some people who have spontaneously-cleared HCV may lose HCV-antibodies after many decades, but these are just small #s. Please send the link and I will look at the source data. PCR or TMA would rule out infection. I would go with your inclinations and retest. I also would not worry about it.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline confused49

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 03:16:26 pm »
Thanks so much for the reply. As for the source I am affraid it will not do you any good as the link listed on that website opens some sort of medical e-book store and there is no telling which book it refers to. I guess I should assume that this information is inaccurate. By saying  you would not worry about it you mean I have a good chance of retesting negative again after 6 months? Thanks again for the reply, best regards.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »
Yes, you have a good chance -ideally it is best to wait a full 6 mos before being sure, but after 8 weeks post-exposure, it is unlikely you will have antibodies. 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline spider123

• Keep On Keeping On.....Pay It Forward
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:29:32 am »
Spider123 Here....
(Patrick)
           I, treated,  2008 thru  2009,  with Peg-Interfuron and Pegusis (Ribavirin)
for Leval  (2) two fibrosis, Fatty Liver.  I, had all the Side-Effects, Chronic Fatigue, Leukopenia Anemia, (Low) white Cell Count, Aches and Pains in Muscles and Joints,
Loss of Oxygen while walking up Hills, Could not sleep in a regular Bed, had to sleep in a recliner because of Being Nautious, had to take all the Helper Meds, Neupogen-1, ..Procrirt, Etc  I, suffered this all thru my Treatment and still suffer 24/7,  today !  I, was turned down for Disability Twice !
I, went to Two (2) Cancer, Doctors who tested me for everything you can Think of and they Blame the Nasty Meds I, took,  Peg-Interfuron, attacks the Brain Stem Cells,
this,.  is why they are Looking for New Drug,  and This is why the Doctors tend to Stop Short,... of telling you, that you are "Cured"  ...As not to Create a False...Hope !!!!!     I, am Not a Doctor, by No-Means, but, I can tell you from my Experience...That there, Is not much Else Out there, for Choices !!!!   Would I,  choose to Treat Again ?   Probably.....Because it is Better than....Dying with Liver Cancer !!!!   Now....I can tell you that I, am having Problems with my Digestive System, and I, have decide to Educate myself on a "Holistic Approach"  on Feeding my Liver, and Eating what is Good for my Liver,  to Help make it more Healthy !!!
Please...do not let this,  Discourage you...In your Decisions !!!  Discuss things with your Hep-C Team of Doctors and try to Educate yourself, First !!!       :) :)

Keep On Keeping On,

In Good Health,

spider123
(Patrick)   IN,.... Danielson, Connecticut 06239
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:33:03 am by spider123 »

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:10:43 am »
This is for "Confused 49" - Found the info you were referring to:  In addition, HCV antibodies may be undetectable in persons with chronic HCV; in particular, advanced immunosuppression owing to HIV infection at CD4 counts of <200 cells/µL is associated with chronic HCV antibody-negative disease.(12) Therefore, HCV RNA screening is a useful diagnostic tool for persons in whom acute HCV infection is suspected and for HIV-infected individuals with either advanced immunosuppression or a high degree of suspicion for HCV infection despite a negative HCV antibody test result. All individuals with HCV antibody positivity should have a confirmatory HCV RNA assay to determine whether HCV has cleared spontaneously or whether hepatitis C viremia persists. Source:http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-05-03-05#S3X
So, if you have HIV, esp with a low CDC count, a viral load is recommended.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.