Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:45:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: advice???  (Read 9974 times)

Offline offroadingmama

• never give up
advice???
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »
Hi every one my name is polly im 25 years young and recently found out I have hep c gen 2 ..I was a iv drug user for 14 years been cleen almost three now , my mom also has hep c gen 2 same story as mine but for alot longer, she has been clean alot longer too and she is in her late 60s  .. we are both getting ready to start treatment...interferon free .....im trying to start a support group for her cause shes really scared...she is unsure aboit starting the treatment..I keep telling her its only for 12 weeks but she thinks shes to old she is also late in stage three I told her treatment is alot better then what she is facing if she gets cirrhosis. ..I also told her if she wants to wait till I do it first so I can let her know what she is in for....but from reading on here I know that it affects every one diffrently ...has any one started the 12 week treatment...any advice???? :)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: advice???
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:20:11 pm »
Hi Polly,
Thank you for diving in and introducing yourself. I just did that treatment and I am 60 - I know someone who did well and she is almost 80. These new treatments are much easier. It was my 3rd treatment, and by far the easiest, and I am now hep C free. There are lots of resources on this site and the HCV Advocate. If you want to start a support group, there are manuals for how to start one on this site: http://www.hcvadvocate.org/ Just put "support group" in the search field and you will find lots of info.

Advice: Read about the treatment, but know that everyone is different, and I think it sounds scarier than it is, at least with the new regimens. The only way past the fear is to do what you are doing - jump in. Lots of support here, and if you have any questions, you know who to find us. If your doc prescribes ribavirin, ask about B12 supplementation. Don't take iron supplements unless MD-ordered. Stay active through treatment - it helps. Be proactive about side effect management, especially rashes because if they get out of control, harder to bring under control. Keep your positive attitude that you already have. If you belong to a recovery group, stay close to your peeps. Support group an excellent idea. I looked at it as a  journey of self-discovery - learned a lot about myself. Find ways to bring humor into your life. Those are a few ideas...
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline offroadingmama

• never give up
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:32:26 pm »
Thank you for your words ide like to get my mom involved with this page as well I think it would help her

Offline karenhoyt

• IHelpC
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:14:58 pm »
Polly,

Lucinda covered it all! I just want to add that it's awesome of you to help out your mom. I was 53 and had stage 4 when my treatment started. It can be done! She will be so relieved to be rid of the virus and you two can heal together.
I also think it's great to try and start a support group. The bond that forms when you connect with others can help you stay strong and also find resources once treatment starts. Keep logging and if mom won't, read to her! lol. I wrote a blog on here about anxiety. It's natural to be scared. And it's smart to learn more - just like you're doing.
Bravo to you and best wishes,
Karen

Offline offroadingmama

• never give up
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 01:03:47 am »
Thank you so much its really hard my mom is soo stubborn

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.