Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:26:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 112
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 92
Total: 92

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New in town  (Read 7316 times)

Offline Marielle102

New in town
« on: February 21, 2014, 01:07:34 pm »
Hi,

I recently had a visit with a gastroenterologist after a positive Hep C antibody test.
So the viral load is 18,000.  We are waiting on the genotype.
I'm 43. My AST and ALT are normal. He recommends an ultrasound as well.  Although previous scans for unrelated reasons always showed liver of unremarkable quality.

Also, am I a threat to my partner?  I'm kind of reeling here...so breaking it, any of it down for me, would be calming.

And once treated...can it come back.  And if I don't get treatment...?

Thank you.

M

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: New in town
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:32:36 pm »
Sorry for the reason you are here on this forum, but glad you found us.
My answers are brief, so I suggest you read some of the info on HEP or http://www.hcvadvocate.org/ (Click on fact sheets on the right column)
By "threat", assuming you mean sexually, it depends. If either of you has HIV (esp your partner), or you are having sex with chainsaws or vampire play, then yes. If you are heterosexual the risk is extremely low - virtually nonexistent if your partner is also female. The issue is blood-to-blood contact. It's best to act as if we can infect everyone, but in reality, the likelihood is low. I suggest you read up on it on the 2 sites I mentioned - both are trustworthy.

If successfully treated, the chances of it coming back are very low - less than 1% http://hepatitiscresearchandnewsupdates.blogspot.com/2013/07/long-term-clearance-of-hepatitis-c.html UNLESS you are reinfected - the antibody does not protect you against future infections, so it is important to understand the modes of transmission. You will always test positive for hep C antibody even if the virus is gone.

I assume you read a little about it, heard some from your doc, but don't know if you are aware that by the end of this year we expect than all-oral treatment with mild side effects is expected to be approved. In short, take a pill for 8 to 12 weeks, and bingo, it'll be gone. We've come a long way. If you are genotype 2 or 3, all-oral treatment is available, but with ribavirin there are moderate side effects, and the duration is anywhere from 12 to 24 weeks.

Hope this helps. It takes a while for the reeling to slow down. The good news is that you are young and female - statistically your immune system is likely holding hep C at bay.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Marielle102

Re: New in town
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 03:49:15 pm »
Thank you very much.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.