Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:08:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C Treatment Working!!!  (Read 12344 times)

Offline Sally

Hep C Treatment Working!!!
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:36:48 am »
Hey guys hope this is how I start a new thread lol....Thank you so very much for the kind words, and advice! I can't tell anyone else what is going on I live in a very small VERY JUDGMENTAL town, I would NEVER live this down.. I wish I had at least 1 friend I could talk to but I don't, and having NO support what so ever almost broke me down, but Instead it has made me so much stronger. I had my son tested 6 months ago I had this when I was pregnant, I told no one including the delivery doctor, and nurses. I was petrified but he is negative THANK THE GOOD LORD! I have went from a  size 21 to a 15, and now the 15 is falling down my butt lol...I'm not losing weight on purpose, but I swear these meds feel like they are eating my guts! My doctor told me to take extra strength Tylenol, NO ADVIL so I called her after reading a few messages in this forum and she said that while Tylenol is harder on your liver, and that in normal circumstances we are to NOT use Tylenol, but Ibuprofen does nothing for the muscle pain, or any other symptoms associated with this treatment, so I did hear her right..I haven't taken anything  for pain in 5 days I don't understand why everyone else is so sick yet the only thing wrong with me is weight and hair loss, upset stomach, slight headache at times and I'm so so very tired. I was scared to death to do this treatment just from what I have read, and even what my own Doctor told me but the experience has been very different then what I expected. I've been reading trying to find at least 1 other person who is not living a nightmare while doing this treatment, having gotten through these past 8 weeks as easily as I have I'm left wondering why so many people haven't done this, it would make no difference to me how sick I was, at the end of 24 weeks if I'm cured it was well worth ANYTHING I had to go through. Thanks again for helping me through this difficult time It sure has helped me to keep going :)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Hep C Treatment Working!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:39:50 am »
Hi Sally,
I am impressed and inspired by your determination. There are lots of people who have been through treatment (and yes, wish more were brave enough to). I went through it 3 times before I was cured.
Your doc is right - Tylenol is the better choice over ibuprofen (Advil). However, Tylenol has to be taken as directed - beware of excess doses,, esp from acetaminophen in other sources, such as cold and pain meds. Here's an article I wrote about it: http://www.hcvadvocate.org/news/newsLetter/2014/advocate0214.html#2
Other side effect tips can be found at the same website at http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets.asp Also, I've written 2 books about it, but looks like you are in good shape - you can read a lot of the books for free on Amazon or my website http://www.lucindaporterrn.com/ We are here for you - keep in touch.
Lucinda
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Sally

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:21:07 am »
You went through treatment 3 times?? When did you find out each time that it didn't work? That sure has given me a lot to think about..I'm glad you were strong enough to go through it that many times, as for me I'll do this as many times as it takes, I just hope this is the only time lol.  I did # 10 Tuesday night, and boy did I get sick. I didn't get my 8 glasses of water in my system before doing it, it sure makes a big difference when you drink the water, you wouldn't think it would have that big of an impact on how you feel but it really does, now the first thing I do in the morning is drink 2 glasses then every time I go to the kitchen I drink another glass. I wish I had energy though, that's the only thing that is driving me crazy, oh and I want to dye my hair the gray sure is coming in BAD since treatment started I haven't died my hair since I was 14 there's 3 boxes waiting but my doc said absolutely NOT until July :( I wonder if I did dye it would it cause me to lose a lot of my hair???

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:06:08 am »
The first time I found out after 3 months, the 2nd after 48 weeks. The 3rd time worked. If you dye your hair, it will cause your hair to be dry and brittle, which it already is from treatment, I assume. However, a gentle semi-permanent tint rather than a harsh dye is safer. Be sure you use products that moisturize your hair and you should be OK.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:13:58 am »
Hi Sally,

Check out I Help C Karen Hoyt's blog about hair coloring while living with hepatitis C...

Hair Color with Hepatitis C or Cirrhosis
http://blogs.hepmag.com/karenhoyt/2013/04/hair_color_with_hepatitisc.html

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.