Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:42:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 88
Total: 88

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Week 6 of treatment  (Read 6917 times)

Offline Mike

Week 6 of treatment
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:13:46 pm »
I just want to share a little bit.

I'm 50 years old and have had Hep-C for about 35 years. I was part of the clinical trials for PEG back in 2001. I have grade II fibrosis (moderate) and about 90% liver function. I had a high viral load, which at that time was  6 million/ml. I'm genotype 1a.

In 2001, I started a 48 week course of treatment (PEG+RIB) and made it to week 36, discontinuing because I hadn't cleared the virus and was hovering around 200,000/ml. The side effects were terrible - chills, fatigue (a lot of fatigue), depression, headaches, muscle aches - I basically felt like I had the flu, everyday for a year. It was rough and no results.

Fast forward a decade and 1/2, and the prognostic picture changes: PEG+RIB+ SOLV.

I began the new treatment in January 2014, and the thought of starting the shots again was heart-numbing. I really didn't want to go back to 2001...

Well, I just had a 6 week follow up with my GI doctor to review side effects and blood work.

My baseline viral load was 9 million/ml (which is really high). As luck would have it, I had blood work at week 1 and the lab made a mistake and rechecked the viral load (wasn't suppose to be rechecked until week 4). Guess what: In the first 7 days of treatment I went from 9 million/ml to 103/ml! From 9 million parts to just 103 parts!

By week 4 there is no detectable virus (I got those results last week).

Solvaldi is a game changer, folks! It's a miracle drug!

Are there side effects? Yes. But they're not as bad as 2001; just fatigue and a little depression.

The key is to drink a lot of water (something I didn't do in 2001) and it seems to reduce the adverse effects of the PEG. Dink plenty of water!

I have 6 weeks to go, and my doc thinks I'll beat this (it was the first time we both looked at each other and smiled)! I thanked him for being my doctor and hanging in there with me for all these years.

I'm still not out of the water, and there is always a chance of relapse after I stop treatment.

The difference now is that I have hope. Hope for a cure! If not this time - then in the near future.

My advice is to hang in there - PEG and Hep-C suck - but we have hope!

These new drugs are game changers. If you're sitting on the fence about treatment, I'd encourage you to move forward - there's never been a better time! 12 weeks goes pretty fast!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:24:52 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Week 6 of treatment
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:10:44 am »
What a wonderful message of hope and encouragement. Thank you! Please keep posting your progress. I am cheering you on, and I bet others are too.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.