Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:42:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: hep c and psych issue  (Read 13429 times)

Offline mrkim

hep c and psych issue
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:20:26 pm »
hi 
I am a sixty year old man with hep c and bi-polar disorder mostly manic with psychotic features. Does anybody have this problem. I have not started treatment for the hep c yet but soon. I have had the two issues for 40 years or so. If anyone can give me some advice that would be great.
Thanks Mr. Kim

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
Re: hep c and psych issue
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:15:25 pm »
Hi Mr Kim,

Could we get a few details. I assume geno 1 since you stated it has been 40 years?  What treatment are you scheduled to start?  Some of these treatments can cause awful emotional swings, so that is one thing to check on, as it could be doubly bad for you.  I strongly suggest a 'buddy' with all these treatments, and in your case I think it mandatory.  Someone close by to help with the schedule and the ups and downs.  My last treatment was the Incivek triple therapy and I would go from an awful temper tantrum to breaking down in tears.  My poor wife was there, endured it, and I very much needed it.  I hope you are on one of the newer, less lengthy, less side effects treatments - but important to find out, and still important to have a buddy.  Best wishes, jack

Offline mrkim

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:19:11 am »
Jack
You were right about the genotype, 1a, with a viral load of 6.50. There are also some other numbers that I do not know what they mean. Asp 103, and Alt 166. Can you tell me what these other number mean?
Thanks Mr. Kim

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:49 am »
Those are a blood test of enzymes that indicate liver function or toxicity.  They also look at the ratio of the two.  I am not an MD so I do not want to render an opinion, but your levels are elevated.  You should also have had a total bilirubin test I would guess.  Your best bet is to ask your MD. The best way to give your liver a break and let it heal (the only organ that can) is to get rid of that nasty Hep C virus! -jack

Offline mrkim

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:32:23 pm »
Jack
The tx is as follows.
1. Pegylated interferon/ Ribavirin Combo Therapy.
2. Triple Therapy with Protease inhibitor: Victrelis (boceprevir), Incivek (telaprevir).
I went and sew my psychiatrist today and she said to do the tx.
Mr. Kim

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:43:03 pm »
OK, Incivek has a better cure rate (slightly) than Victrelis.  I discussed with Hepatologists at Duke and Lifelink prior to starting treatment, and they both said Incivek.  However, you need to be very, very careful.  The 1st 12 weeks, while on the Incivek, is a rigorous schedule, with fat grams like peanut butter, cheese, sausage biscuits... every 8 hours religiously because of the medicine's half life.  YOU MUST HAVE A PARTNER to assist you.  It will cause emotional swings!  Have someone nearby.  If after 4 weeks you don't see a massive drop in your viral count, and are not UD at some point in the 1st 12 weeks you will need to quit.  If you are successful, and over 80% are, then you will remain on the dual therapy for an additional 12 weeks for 24 weeks total.  This treatment still has the highest cure rate I believe, at nearly 95% if UD in 1st 12 weeks and you complete entire regimen. It will go by quickly, but inside the bubble will seem to take forever.  I just counted down the pills and shots, made me feel in control!  Let us know, but you would be much better off with a partner! Or, trying for the more recent meds.  Let us know! -jack 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:15:15 am »
Dear Mr. Kim,
Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about waiting for the Gilead treatment expected to be approved this fall - sofosbuvir and ledipasvir will be combined in a single pill, mild side effects, and 90 - 100% responde rates. Alternatively, if you have advanced disease, some doctors are prescribing sofosbuvir and simeprevir, also high response rates and mid side effects. This regimen is harder to get insurance approval for, but many are on it.
Best thing is to talk to your doctor.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 05:56:33 pm »
Mr. Kim,

I think Lucinda makes a great point and I would  encourage you to talk to your doctor about various treatment options.

The interferon is known to cause severe depression, mood swings and agitation. There is also a noted clinical increase in suicide/suicidal ideation in those who have an active depressive/anxiety disorder prior to treatment.

In fact, if there is active, clinical depression at the time treatment would start, the guidelines say to delay Hep-C treatment (interferon).

The point is, make sure you discuss your entire mental health history, all medications used and current MH treatment needs with the Hep-C doctor. This will help you and the doctor make the best medical decisions for you.

You really need to take your mental health into consideration when starting treatment. The mental health issues associated with Hep-C treatment are clinical noted and can become severe.

There are new Hep-C treatments for genotype 1a that minimize the side effects and reduce the amount of interferon needed. You should talk to your doctor about these.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Anand

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 08:02:48 pm »
Hello Lucinda,

I am curious about the single pill (sovaldi+ledipasovir) by Gilead that is expected to be approved by FDA this fall< I am quoting you>.  Do you have link to Gilead about this combo. Can you elaborate on this combo.  thanks

Anand

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 11:41:51 pm »
Here is some info:
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline mrkim

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »
Hi - it's mrkim again - well it's about 4 weeks until treatment starts ( if I agree to it).  I called the Dr office yesterday and spoke to his nurse.  My main reason for  this call was due to the fact that I have many concerns about the psych issues.   

from the printed info I got from the Dr office's list of psych side effects is quite large.  Most of those side effects that are listed, I am very familiar with, many of them I've had.  I talked to the nurse about the new treatment that will be available
early next year.  My Dr was not in that day and she would relay my message.  I am afraid to start the treatment that is now available-but then again I,m afraid not to start. 

Over the past 2 years my psych issues have been controlled with medication.  I saw my psychiatrist last week and she suggests to start the hep c treatment.  Would like to start the treatment to rid myself of hep c, but I clearly remember what it is like to be in the bipolar state!!  When I'm psychotic I see and hear things that aren't really there and it gets worse from there. 

Offline Mike

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »
Hi Mr. Kim,

I think if you've been upfront with your doctors and your psych symptoms are under control, you should be fine. The psychiatrist has cleared you and will monitor your mental health while on treatment.

I had some issues with depression the last time I treated, and started on Paxil a week before I started this time. Overall, I've done fine and the depression hasn't really been  an issue.

I would still check in to the 12 week SOL+INTF+RIBV treatment for genotype 1a. It's shorter and you wont be taking the INTF that long. Ideally, if you wait a few months you might be able to avoid the INTF altogether. My rule is the less interferon you take - the better your overall functioning is while on treatment.

Discuss your options with the Hep doctor and see what makes sense for you.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 05:13:24 pm »
Mr Kim, Your concerns are good ones, which is why I suggested you talk to your doc about the new drugs that are anticipated by the end of the year.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.