Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:56:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reinfection  (Read 15129 times)

Offline Mike

Reinfection
« on: April 07, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »
I was wondering if it is possible to reinfect yourself with Hep-C after you clear the virus (I know you can be reinfected by someone else).

Specifically, once you clear the virus can you reinfect yourself by using the same toothbrush, razor or nail clippers that  you used when you were infected while on treatment?

The reason I ask this is, with the new drugs available, the virus can be cleared within 1-4 weeks. I'd hate to be virus free at the end of tx, only to reinfect myself by using the toothbrush I used the during treatment.

I've already bought a new toothbrush and razor - but was curious about this.

Let me know, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Anand

Re: Reinfection
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »
Hi Mike,

Very good question.   First thing that came to my mind is what is the shelf life? Can HVC survive in other environment even dried blood or tooth brush. When you are free from HVC if tiny blood clots in blood stream are out of reach to the medication.  I am sure the research scientists in the know of HVC may be able to answer some of these problems. May be during treatment time is it possible to de-HVC from blood-letting implements like tooth brush that we use every day. Thanks

Anand

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:13:20 pm »
Mike,
Interesting question - and I was cured in 2012 and never thought about this, but it is a legit concern.  As I change my razor blades pretty regular, that should not be a question, but what about a travel kit that sat unused during treatment?  Interesting, and perhaps the cause of the rare, rare cases of relapse after 6 months... One of the reasons that Hep C swept through IV drug users and tattoo parlors was that bleach was the accepted sterilizing agent of the day, and actually does not kill Hep C - it is a tuff mother!  Interesting thought and mystery, and one I would not test - when in doubt, throw it out!  -jack

Offline jess1323

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:27:06 am »
that a great ? I live in the house with husband and my 84 yr granny move in to take care of her and clean with bleach and tought i was killing the hep c if it was there for some reason                       what do i clean with that will protect my family i would never for give my self if my granny got sick from me

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:36:22 am »
Jess,
Don't worry about exposing others - it is blood to blood only.  I was talking about cleaning needles with bleach... but you are not sharing needles or razors or getting tattoos together...  breathe in, breathe out - and take this one step at a time - all will be fine....  -jack

Offline jess1323

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:56:43 am »
i am ok u have saved me over and over agin just a little on edge thanks but still a great ? Thank      love jess

Offline Mike

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »
I know the chance of infection from a toothbrush or razor is very minimal, it just makes sense to swap these with new ones once you're virus free (to error on the side of caution), Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 03:24:21 pm »
Hi Jess,

Hep-C is a blood-born pathogen and and transmitted blood-to-blood. You shouldn't worry about infecting anyone one you live with. It's OK to hug your grandmother, friends and so on.

There's just somethings you don't do when you have Hep-C, which include sharing a toothbrush or razor, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
We posted this piece in December 2013.

Dried Hep C Can Live on Surfaces for Up to Six Weeks
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/inanimate_surfaces_2501_24940.shtml

There are still studies ongoing so watch for more information on this topic as hepatitis C is proving to be a tough customer to kill.

- Ian

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 05:28:40 pm »
Thanks, Ian.

This answers my question, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline jess1323

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 12:58:27 am »
thank that was very help full to me to thank u

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.