Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:57:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What are the chances of a cure after treatment ends  (Read 14577 times)

Offline Mike

What are the chances of a cure after treatment ends
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:11:00 pm »
I'm virus free at the end of SOL+INT+RIBV treatment. The next question: Will I stay undetectable 12 weeks after treatment end = cured.

This research provides some answers to this question:

http://www.aidsmap.com/Sofosbuvir-works-well-despite-multiple-negative-predictive-factors/page/2848419/

Basically, any of these factors can impact treatment success - the more of these you have, the lower the outcome.

Relapse predictive factors include:

*Viral genotype: HCV genotypes 1 and 4 have been considered harder to treat than genotypes 2 or 3.

*Viral load: high pre-treatment HCV RNA (>800,000 IU/ml) is associated with poorer response.

*Sex: men do not respond as well as women.

*Age: older people do not respond as well as younger people.

*Race/ethnicity: people of African descent (and Hispanic/Latino people in some studies) do not respond as well as Caucasian or Asian people.

*Body weight: heavier people, especially those classified as obese (body mass index >30), do not respond as well.

*IL28B status: people who carry the TT or CT genetic variations do not respond as well as those with the favourable CC pattern.

*Liver damage: people with advanced fibrosis (stage F3) and especially cirrhosis (F4) do not response as those with absent to moderate fibrosis (F0-F2).

*HIV/HCV co-infection: people with both HIV and HCV do not respond as well as those with HCV alone.

*Prior treatment: People who previously showed modest or minimal response to prior interferon-based therapy (partial and null responders) do not respond as well as previously untreated (treatment-naive) people or those who previously responded but relapsed after finishing treatment.

Results:

'Cure' rates were 100% for people with zero or one negative predictive factor, above 99% for those with two factors and 94% for those with three factors. After this, efficacy dropped off, falling to 88% for those with four negative factors, 68% for those with five factors and 57% for those with six factors.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:13:56 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Colormepurple

Re: What are the chances of a cure after treatment ends
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:51:41 pm »
Well congrats mike here's to 3 more months of success and all the months there after (Y)

Offline Mike

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:15:36 pm »
Thanks CP,

I have a pretty good chance at slaying the dragon.

The way it looks, I have 4 adverse factors:

*Genotype 1a
*Male
*Failed previous tx
* Age (I'm 50)

This give me a 90% chance of staying virus free 12 weeks after treatment ends, which equals cured! Those are pretty good odds ♪♫♪♫

Solvaldi is a miracle drug!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:21:57 pm »
We are waiting with you - you are slaying this dragon for all of us!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »
Pulling for you Mike... I was 1a, contracted in 1976, 58, relapsed from 48 weeks of dual treatment in 2005....  cured with Incivek triple therapy!  I know you are cured man and can't wait to hear the proclamation!  -jack

Offline Mike

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:35:47 pm »
Thanks Jack.

I think these next 12 weeks will be harder then the 12 weeks of tx. I hate waiting - the not knowing.

Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:17:18 am »
The lovely part about waiting. is the reclaiming of your body. It feels so good to start to get strong again.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Marysee

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 06:56:05 pm »
I can't wait to feel strong again 8)

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04:41 am »
 Mike love the info on the %"s. I'm 56, male, and had a viral load of 3.5mil . According to your info I have got a 94% chance of being cured I'd bet on those odd's any day of the week. Thanks     What is your date for your 12 wk testing I would like to follow your progress. You are an inspiration to us all.  Fred
Fred

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:48:00 am »
Hi Fred,

My 12 weeks post-treatment date is 7/4/14 (Independence Day).

I'll post the results and hopefully report a SRV12, which means the dragon is dead and wont be rising again!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Colormepurple

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 04:48:14 pm »
well not sure on the counts.

hubby 58
male
f3 cirrhosis started
2nd treatment
first  failed
so down to less percentage but still higher than none

Offline Colormepurple

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 04:50:01 pm »
he has 6

Offline Mike

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 12:37:16 pm »
Although not considered in this study, diabetes and high ferritin levels at the start of treatment, such as those associated with hemochromatosis can also reduce treatment success.

Regarding treatment outcomes and diabetes:

"...insulin resistance with or without overt manifestation of [diabetes] adversely impacts the clinical outcomes in HCV-infected patients, in terms of poor response to antiviral therapy, accelerated progression of liver fibrosis, and increased risk of hepatocellular carcinoma."

Mike
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:39:09 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.