Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:54:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: new to the forum  (Read 9572 times)

Offline C-FIGHTER

new to the forum
« on: May 05, 2014, 05:25:25 pm »
Hi

My name is Janice and I was diagnosed with HEP C 2 years ago.  I was seeing a doctor for two visits At that time,  but I really did not like him and so I did not return. I did find out that my genotype is 1b. Now two years later, I did find another doctor and waited 6 weeks for my apt which was last week. i did have the fibro scan done and it was 0-1 stage Fibrosis. My ALT IS 283 and my AST is 177, viral load 6 million.  After all the test results were back, i was told by my doctor that since my liver is in such good shape, I could wait until the fall for the new meds to come out.

while I am happy about the good news of my liver's condition, (probably had this for decades)  i am puzzled as to why i could not be treated at this time with the wonderful new meds that are out?

i really don't know what to think, and wondered would any of you knowledgeable folks have some insight?  I am thinking that perhaps others who really need the new meds now have waited and been through hell and back with Interferon, would be at the front of the line.  Which is fine and certainly understandable. i just wish they gave me a better answer than "you are in good shape and can wait"

your thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks very much, I have been reading the conversations on this forum and wish everyone well and to be Hep C free.

diagnosed 2010 Hep C
genotype 1b
HCV RNA >4000000 01/13/2015
F0-F1 04/2014
Harvoni March 20 2015 - June 11 - 12 weeks

April 14-Day 26 on Harvoni- Viral Load - UD
ALT 27    AST 27

Offline Mpetrecz

Re: new to the forum
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »
Hi Janice, I'm Mary and new here also.  The people here are very nice and helpful.  I am waiting to get sovaldi and olysio...it should be here this week and I will be starting ASAP.  I have 1a and have scarring and inflammation but no cirosis.
I was on the fence as to wait or not,...but my doctor decided it's best for me to start with these two new drugs.....I cannot take I peg and ribo...had a very bad reaction to them,
I was told the drugs coming out at the end of the year are the exact same as I will be taking.  Hang in there and don't worry.m I'm sure your doctor isn't going to be putting you in danger and with summer,,,,,you can enjoy the good weather and not worry about the sun and light sensitivity.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:25:24 pm by Mpetrecz »

Offline C-FIGHTER

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:52:08 pm »
Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for replying.  I felt kind of selfish to even ask this question, as so many people have it worse than I do.  I feel very lucky that I am able to wait, at the same time I want this virus out of me.  when I found out I had Hep C two years ago, I was in shock and denial. when it became impossible to ignore any longer I acted,  and thank God I did.

I am happy for you that you start treatment tomorrow. the new drugs are wonderful and Thank God they are here.  I will be looking for your post as to your progress. Thank you for your kind reassuring words.  Good luck and God bless you Mary.

Janice
diagnosed 2010 Hep C
genotype 1b
F0-F1 04/2014

ALT 27    AST 27

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:19:34 pm »
Hi Janice,

There have been great strides made in Hep-C treatment in the last year and the treatment results are excellent! There are even more effective treatments just around the corner, with less side effects and excellent results.

Your doctor probably wants to wait until fall, when the new, INTF+RIBV free treatment is available (should be one pill a day for 8-12 weeks!).

This would make sense - since you don't have liver disease/damage and the new treatment (with less side effects!) is right around the corner.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline C-FIGHTER

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:08:30 pm »
Hi Mike,
Thank you for replying to me.
those were his exact words!  So of course I will wait and hope to eradicate this virus once and for all. Without my realizing,the silent killer has been a hold of me for decades.  I did not want to do the Inter/Riba two years ago and didn't like the doctor as well. When I just went back to the doctor last week I thought I would do the Inter/Riba, but the doc said I could wait.  I guess I am glad that it may all work out after all , or hopeful that it will.  I feel very fortunate.
I have been reading here for a few weeks now.  Did you not  just finish treatment?  Waiting to hear SVR, is that right?
Janice
diagnosed 2010 Hep C
genotype 1b
F0-F1 04/2014

ALT 27    AST 27

Offline Mike

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:33:35 pm »
Hi Janice,

Yes. I completed tx on 4/18/14 and was undetectable. Now, I need to wait until 7/4/14 for my 12 weeks results (which, if are SVR12, I'll be cured).

I caught the flu the last week of treatment, and this particular strain, was worst then the side effects from treatment (go figure).

I'm finally getting over the bug, and starting to feel normal again.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.