Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:42:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 126
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 89
Total: 89

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: stage 3  (Read 12999 times)

Offline marivirginia

stage 3
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:09:07 pm »
Hello All,

Today was my second visit to see a new doctor. I have hep c, 1a, ct and treated 2 times the last with triple therapy in 2012. Last visit I was told they were testing to see if my body made mutated strands that are resistant to sovaldi and olysia. Today they told me instead of that test they did the fibrascan and no test for mutation. They reported I am a stage 3 liver damage. Should I be worried about this? There is nothing I can do about the testing mix up. Does anyone know if you've been treated before, do you always have resistant strands that make you ineligible for sovaldi and olysia?
Thanks!
Mary

Offline Mike

Re: stage 3
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:28:46 pm »
There is a mutation (Q80k polymorphism) that reduce the chance of SVR (cure) by 20-25% in type 1a infections. I haven't read that this would make you ineligible for treatment. However, if this mutation is present, your chance of a SVR are significantly reduced.

In fact, when present, and, in combination with specific geneotype, viral load, age, liver damage, prior nonresponder, may reduce the chances of a SVR by 50% or more.

Liver damage is graded on a 0-4 scale. A grade 3 indicates moderately severe fibrosis. Grade 4 indicates cirrhosis, which has to be confirmed with a liver biopsy. (please note I'm not a doctor, and you should discuss this with your medical provider)

Best wishes, Mike
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:33:15 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline marivirginia

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:29:46 pm »
Thanks Mike..I actually have responded to both tx regimens but relapsed. So I will wait to see if I have this poly business. Is that one of many mutations? Can one not have that particular mutation? I know you are not in the medical profession, but you know more that me!!!

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:12:40 pm »
Yes. There are many mutation within a specific genotrype (i.e., genotypes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 ). In this regard, common mutations for  genotpe 1 would be 1a and 1b. These subgroups can also have mutation. Genotype 1a can have the Q80k polymorphism mutation, which impacts treatment outcomes.

Researchers are currently studying these mutations, in order to 'tailor' specific treatment protocols to the exact genotype and mutation variant.

Regarding failed prior treatment: If an individual relapses from previous treatment, meaning a failed SVR at 12 or 24 weeks post treatment, the presence of mutation may be clinically indicated.

The good news: this is the golden era for Hep-C treatment, and the current treatments available, and the those soon to come, are so effective, mutation wont even matter!

Time to slay this dragon!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:24:48 pm »
Hi Mary,
I am pretty sure that Q80K only applies to Olysio. I don't think there are any resistant strains that are being used for Sovaldi-related treatment decisions. Did your doc recommend any treatment?
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline marivirginia

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:02:40 pm »
Is it sovaldi and simeprevir that is the next big cure?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 11:13:57 pm »
Sort of. In October, Sovaldi and ledipasvir are expected to be approved, making them the likely leaders for geno 1. Currently, Sovaldi is a better choice for 1a, but in patients with cirrhosis, Sovaldi and Olysio are often being used. I don't know what they would recommend for stage 3, but waiting for Sovaldi and ledipasvir seems like a reasonable option - so does treatment now. What is your doctor recommending?
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline marivirginia

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 11:22:43 pm »
He is recommending tx with Sovaldi and Olysio. Perhaps because I am almost 62? In 2008 I was stage 2..who knows..I would just like to get rid of this beast. I appreciate your help. What is your story?

Offline marivirginia

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 06:30:29 am »
Lucinda,
I see you are a nurse. Thanks for the information!
Mary

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »
Hi Mary,
My story is a long one, but basically I have been working in this field since 1998 and wrote two books about it. I contracted hep C in 1988 and am now cured (Sovaldi and ledipasvir). You can read my story at Hep Stories.http://www.hepmag.com/articles/lucinda_porter_2846_11259.shtml Perhaps you want to send yours in too?

Keep in touch.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline marivirginia

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 10:08:21 am »
Lucinda,

Your story made me cry. It is a gift, but I am now done with this gift. It has taught me all that you spoke of. Thanks for the good work you do. I am anxious to begin therapy with the drugs you took. I am waiting for the Q80Kpolymorphism mutation results to see if I can start with the current off brand cure. I just want to keep my stage at 3 if possible until the real cure is on market. I will keep you posted and consider writing my story.
Mary

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.