Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:27:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Concerned child of opiate addict  (Read 6284 times)

Offline BNW

Concerned child of opiate addict
« on: May 23, 2014, 10:02:49 pm »
Hi.

So I got just generally STD tested Monday wanting to be safe.

Anyway, I called my Dr. today because they hadn't got back to me, and basically they said I tested positive for the antibodies for Hep C.

I just don't know how legit this is or how concerned I should be (they didn't even bother calling me).
I've only had three sexual partners in my entire life, one who lost his virginity to me. I'm an adult child of an opiate addict and was adopted, but I think if my mom was Hep C positive they would have known right? I myself have never used needles for drugs. I just don't understand why I would have this. Also, despite being close to being underweight, general malnurishment and having occasional joint/muscle aches, I don't think I have any symptoms.

Thoughts?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Concerned child of opiate addict
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 12:03:43 pm »
HI,
First, I am sorry you are are confronting this, and want you to know that once you get the facts, it is usually easier to handle. Uncertainty takes immense patience.

Your antibody results indicates that you were exposed to hep C but does not tell you if you actually have the virus. I assume that a viral load (HCV RNA) was ordered.

The sexual transmission rate for hep C is very low. Your medical history of having a mother with possible hep C is a slightly higher risk, but coupled with your symptoms is a more likely cause. If that was the mode of transmission, people who acquired hep C in infanthood tend to do well despite the fact that they have it for decades before they find out they have it.

Hope this helps.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline BNW

Re: Concerned child of opiate addict
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:40:59 pm »
Thank you, I really appreciate the reply. I find out more on Tuesday, post more then. Again, I appreciate it.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.