Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:00:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 58
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 31
Total: 31

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hepatitis C Clinical Trials: Tips from a Nurse  (Read 9409 times)

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
Hepatitis C Clinical Trials: Tips from a Nurse
« on: June 19, 2014, 09:37:00 am »
Hep Forums moderator Lucinda Porter has written a great blog entry on how to find, evaluate, prepare and participate in a clinical trial. Anyone exploring joining a clinical trial should definitely give it a read.

I was a clinical trial nurse at Stanford for many years. In addition to coordinating the hepatitis C studies, I also participated in a clinical trial after I left Stanford. I love clinical trials. As a nurse, I felt I could spend more time with patients. As a subject, I felt I was less likely to slip through the cracks. Between the additional appointments, labs, and questionnaires, I was well monitored. I also like the feeling of contributing to science. The price was right too, because I didn't have to pay for any of my medical costs. I did have to travel, so it wasn't completely free, but it was still a good deal since at the time I was uninsurable. 

I am now free of hepatitis C, and although I am no longer working as a clinical trials nurse, I highly recommend studies if you have any near where you live. Clinical trials often fill up quickly, so here are some tips that may help give you an edge...

http://blogs.hepmag.com/lucindakporter/2014/06/hepatitis_c_clinical_2.html

Offline optimystic

Re: Hepatitis C Clinical Trials: Tips from a Nurse
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 05:27:18 pm »
Hey I'm all for that. diagnosed in aprl 14. did a lot of research and reading about other peoples experiences, and I have come to the conclusion to try trials myself. one thing though what is considered "healthy"? my blood work is within standards and a sonograph of liver and abdomen read ok. i was diagnosed with C1a  with c/t, t/g, mostly I feel fine, my read was 6.1 Log/iu ml. sure would like to be free of it soon. I would like to try ledipasvir/sovaldi if at all possible.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 01:55:37 pm »
Wow, for someone recently diagnosed, you sound very well-informed. Healthy generally means that whatever medical conditions you have, you are well-controlled. So, if you have diabetes, then it is under control. Ditto with heart disease. Some diseases are disqualifications, but less so with the new treatments. I am curious - is there a reason why you will try a trial rather than just try sofosbuvir/ledipasvir directly from your medical provider in October?
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline optimystic

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 06:27:09 pm »
thank you for the reply. Any way my ins runs out july 31, i have made an appt with dr, but will not be seen until july 23. also most of the meds that i would prefer to take will not be approved until oct. i have studied reports on the subject of c/t, and t/g, and they show that peg and rib  will most likely produce unfavorable results. that is my reason not to go with that combo, also the "SAD effects" of them. I'm holding on to be the man that married my wife. so till then seems I have time to wait. I am currently following a new trial. I LOVE THIS ONE  MK-5172 with MK-8742 with Sovaldi thrown in too. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY. It would be Great if I could be in on this one. Hope and pray. as the IL28B's could be difficult.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.