Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:43:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 84
Total: 84

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Started treatment for Gen. 3a  (Read 11579 times)

Offline Krissy

Started treatment for Gen. 3a
« on: June 27, 2014, 04:49:30 pm »
  I just started treatment with Sovaldi and Ribavirin on June 12, 2014 so I am a little over 2 weeks out. My treatment will last 24 weeks. I have known I had Hep C since 2000 (tried to donate blood) but I have had no symptoms, no scarring and I am in generally good health. This has been my little dark secret for so many years (only my husband, my sister and my mom know about it) so it is great to have another safe place to talk about it.
   I put off treatment with Interferon since I know how awful that can be.When I decided to get treated, it took me 2 months and 2 appeals to get my insurance (United Health Care) to cover the meds. Ironically , they would only approve me to do the triple therapy with Interferon for 12 weeks. But finally, with lots of pressure and evidence from my doctors office, they approved it.
   So, here I am. 2 weeks and the side effects have been pretty minimal. The worst being a constant mild headache and insomnia or just general poor sleep. I have been taking Tylenol or Advil for the headaches (not really helping) and Advil PM for the insomnia when I need it. It is definitely tolerable.
  My hemoglobin was down some this week but the doctor is not too concerned since I do not feel fatigued. In fact I have been exercising 3-4 days a week and eating well. I have really bumped up my water intake too. My liver enzymes, which have been elevated for over 15 years are now normal (22/17) and I will have my viral load checked at 4 weeks.
  When I was diagnosed I was told that type 3 was the easiest to treat but now it seems that is no longer the case. 24 weeks is a long time. If all goes well, I will finish on Thanksgiving Day and I will have a lot to be thankful for. I know many others have had even longer treatments with much worse side effects, so I can not complain.
One of my by biggest fears (and I have many) is that the side effects will get worse over time and I will no longer be able to keep my little secret. Has anyone experienced this? What should I expect as the treatment progresses?
Thanks, Krissy

Gen 3a, VL 3.4 mil, TX Naive, CURED!!!

Offline annabanana

Re: Started treatment for Gen. 3a
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 05:19:06 pm »
Hi Krissy I am GT 3 as well and started The same TX on 6/9/14 so we are at the same stage.  I feel pretty good overall just a few headaches and find if I wait too long to eat it zaps me big time I have never had many SX from HCV and have normal AST/ALT.  Let's hope this works.   Best of luck!
Genotype 3A          DX 2002        VL 400,000     TX Naïve   AST/ALT Normal    Started Sol/Riba 6/9/14 for 24 weeks   UND 4 wk

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 07:11:37 am »
I'm gen 3 also---I begin on the first of July,  24 weeks also, same as you

Offline Krissy

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:37:53 am »
Thanks for the replies. It is good to know there are others out there on the same journey. So far it has not been a bad one and I am very hopeful. Best wishes to all of us!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:51:18 pm »
Hi Krissy,
Congratulations on stepping up and making this potentially life-changing choice. You wondered if it would get worse over time. It likely will. The changes are gradual, and tend to stabilize around week 12. I couldn't hide it. However, I stayed active. I learned how deal with the lightheatedness and fatigue and crankiness. It helped me to look as side effects as problems to be solved rather than obstacles.
Keep in contact with the folks in this forum - there is a lot of experience and wisdom here.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline zeena

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 03:54:42 pm »
hi lucinda! well, body aches , the  fogginess, memory lapse , etc. are on my plate. water really helps, as does eating well with meds. i dont feel liver pain anymore , can lay on my side and stretch without any prickly or shooting pain.i am in an outpatient program because i was leaning daily  on the red grape. just a glass or two, not extreme but i couldnt stop. the meds would be compromised and the results would be compromised, so, i sought help, which has turned into a life changing  experience. seems its been forever and a day that i have not uncorked a bottle for a little over a month,
 which is as long as i have been sober and on meds. what started as a crutch for these 6 months, looks like a  new way of life for my family and me. god works in mysterious ways. it is a constant struggle, these meds and my  desire to enjoy a glass of wine.the meds always win.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 07:16:25 pm »
Hi Zeena - I could really relate. One of the gifts hep C gave me was sobriety. After a doctor (who was also a colleague) told me I could drink an occasional glass of wine, I resumed drinking. Although I drank small amounts, I couldn't not drink on some days. Also, it was getting harder to look patients in the eyes when I advised them not to drink. I was tired of feeling like a hypocrite. Plus, if my liver disease got worse, how would I live with having made the choice to drink. I stopped, and my life has never been better.   
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 09:07:12 am »
Hi Krissy,
I'm doing the same treatment as you,for 24 weeks also. But I'm Gen 1B which is suppose to be most difficult. Question, did your headaches come quickly or take awhile to appear. This is my 3rd day and so far no symptoms. I'm just anxious to get my blood work in 4 weeks. I hope both ours are great results. Keep in touch as it will help.
I too don't like to tell too many people, but I am excited about this treatment.

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 09:59:36 am »
Yes Krissy--I'm same as you in treatment and gen3--2 weeks behind you--so am watching for your posts----

Offline Krissy

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 10:48:42 am »
Hey everyone! I am happy to report that the insomnia is much better, I'm sleeping for longer stretches and more soundly without any medication. The headaches,  which started pretty much right away are not gone but better. Feeling really good! I am drinking at least 100 oz. of water a day which I think is key. My specialty pharmacy sent me a cool water bottle with a cap and a little carrying ring. It makes it a lot easier to drink the water. I take it with me everywhere.  I am over 3 weeks into treatment now.  Tuesday I go in for my 4 week blood work and check my viral load. Fingers crossed. Happy Independence day everyone and here's to freedom from this disease!

Offline annabanana

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 11:42:13 am »
Hi Krissy,  Glad to hear the insomnia is subsiding.  I haven't had that problem, but I could sleep through a hurricane  :).  Tomorrow completes my 4th week and I had my VL done on Wed, July 2nd so waiting to hear the results.  Hang in there, the time will pass and overall my side effects (headaches etc) have leveled off or disappeared.  Feeling good.  It seems the busier I stay the better I feel...less time to think about it I guess.  Good luck! 
Genotype 3A          DX 2002        VL 400,000     TX Naïve   AST/ALT Normal    Started Sol/Riba 6/9/14 for 24 weeks   UND 4 wk

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.