Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 99
Total: 99

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New to Forum/Not to Hepc/Getting Solvaldi+Ribavirin  (Read 91988 times)

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
New to Forum/Not to Hepc/Getting Solvaldi+Ribavirin
« on: July 02, 2014, 06:19:50 pm »
Hello,
My name is Ray, seems there are knowledgeable people here so I am posting for some support. I have been with Hepc for over forty years, and the symptoms are finally getting to me. Perhiphial Neuropathy, fatigue, some liver pain. 3 fibrosis bridging. I was always reluctant for Medical treatment, and took every recommended herb for liver and hepc thru the years. The virus is finally doing its thing. Now I am confident to try Solvadi/ribavirin even though I would rather have the Olysio/solvaldi.
Maybe some people with experience can comment when I start treatment starting Monday July 7. got the ok today, with the assistance I will pay $60.00 for 24 weeks treatment. I have BlueShield california coverage.  I am Gen 1B 2,700.000 viral count. I will post status as I go. My Dr. says I do not need to take any tests until 4 weeks out.
Well, thanks for reading.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
Re: New to Forum/Not to Hepc/Getting Solvaldi+Ribavirin
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 06:25:26 pm »
Good luck Ray!  The drugs are amazing now, so maybe you were smart to wait...  Either way you are starting to be make yourself better on Monday, and don't even have to mess with interferon shots! Cause to cheer!  Let us know your progress, and most certainly the results of your 4 week labs.

I contracted Hep C in December, 1976, so you got me beat....  Soon you will join me and not have the virus any longer!

Best wishes,
jack

Offline optimystic

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:30:14 pm »
Hi Ray. here are some trials that have completed and have posted results. go to www.clinicaltrials.gov , put in hepatitis c then scroll to rank 97, 293. and 398. click on study results. give it some time and look closely at what you are looking at. you will get it.

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:14:59 am »
Thanks for the replies, I am glad no interferon is in the mix. I have refused it several times and believe the Solvaldi is powerful by itself but being 1b genotype I feel I do need the combo, so ribavirin is only what I have available. It is ok with me, and I am just going to be watching the symptoms. I read a lot of the trials, and my Dr. offered a trial with solvaldi in November that he is doing, but we felt not to wait. I did about 3 weeks of Interferon about 35 years ago and got so depressed, then the Dr. said it must be something else causing the symptoms. (go figure). That was enough to convince my Dr. now to not push for triple combo therapy. Thank God. Have to do 24 weeks though. I am still working , so hope the days go by quick.

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 07:35:46 am »
Hey-don't worry, I'm a lot like you, waited until now for treatment. I am in my third day today--and have been waiting for a side effect--nothing yet.

Offline canythingbutaverage

• Genotype 1a (Q30Q/R, H58D, Y93Y/C)
    • C Anything But Average
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:23:02 am »
Be careful with symptoms, they'll creep up when you least expect it. Sovaldi is an amazing drug though, and even for those of us with some serious liver damage... you can do your part to minimize symptoms with proper diet(pass on the salt), exercise and a good night's rest.

Your doctor said that Interferon was not the culprit for depression?

Because chemical imbalances are not the only thing at work with depression. That treatment was HORRID in it's early phases. The psychological ramifications of this masochistic healing idea are not for the faint at heart. "To be healed, i must inflict this pain upon myself, To be cured i must endure" is a pretty shitty reality. Also Interferon has come MIIIIILES since even fifteen years ago. Once a week shots aren't exactly a cakewalk, but they're a lot easier than three or more.

Regarding your progress updates... if you're comfortable with sharing progress in regards to your AST, ALP, ALT, and Bilirubin, that would be awesome. Since those markers will better reflect the condition of your liver, and how you're doing.

As an aside, Peripheral neuropathy looks nuts! And I'm seriously glad you mentioned it, because I'm pretty sure i have this. Wooohoo... now i have something new to talk to the doc about. I always wondered why i lose sensation in random body parts and occasionally can't see anything.
Energy and persistence conquer all things

http://blogs.hepmag.com/ricknash/

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:28:10 pm »
canythingbutaverage
Thanks for the reply,
I'm going to status as I go, but no test results will be available for 4weeks.
My alt and ast are about 50% above normal, which is about what I always had.
Yes, back in the day the Doctors just followed protocol, and did not have much info.
When a Doctor doesn't listen, I'm out the door.
My Bilirubin is in range now, so I feel I am doing the correct things, Dandelion tea,
excercise, good diet. Thanks. My hemoglobin, palettes, RBC all in range now.
The Peripheral neuropathy is a drag, I had tests done and the only thing suspect was a high Reumatoid factor in my blood. Shows autoimmune issue, attacking the nerves per my neurologist. I looked up the issue, and yep it is a symptom of hepc
activity. My Liver Doc agrees.  That is why I sought treatment.
I will post any blood work update as I get them, hope others doing the same treatment can post too.
Thanks for reading.

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 04:11:08 pm »
Best wishes, Rainbowray,

We're all pulling for you! This should be a breeze -0 since you're not taken the INTF, which, as you know can be a real bear!

Mike
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:39:55 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline patsy

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 06:11:23 pm »
I didn't know some people were leaving out the interferon. I've been taking the Solvaldi/Rib/Pegasus. I'm finding out lots of new info since reading a few threads here. I wish I had found it sooner. I only have about 3 weeks left. My side effects didn't start until several weeks in. Now they are really bugging me. I'm tired, can deal with that. Itchy face. Sore tongue and lip. Looking older. The worst thing is the mental stuff. I am so, everything... anxious, sensitive, irritable, paranoid, depressed. I am aware that it is the meds and won't make any important decision till I am back to my old self. And I got stuck with a doctor that hasn't been paying attention to anything about my case. I actually walked out of her office the first followup visit cuz despite the fact that she had been "electronically" signing off on all my labs, she wasn't even aware that I was on the treatment. I haven't been back. Somebody checks my blood work now (probably the doctor's nurse or PA) and they even cut my dosages due to low white cell count. Who needs a doctor? The pharmacy is good and has a 24-hr. hotline and are right on top of the changing dosages and refills as needed.

Oh, by the way, how do you guys know how you got Hep C and when you got it. It's a total mystery to me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:13:29 pm by patsy »

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 07:08:15 pm »
Hi Patsy,
Treatment does start to get tiresome. I hope the next 3 weeks fly by, and you start to regain mental strength quickly. So sorry your doc has not been a source of support, but it sounds like you managed anyway.

Some of us have clear risk factors, making it easier to identify how we either got or likely got hep C. In my case, I got hepatitis symptoms 6 to 8 weeks following a blood transfusion. Many people have no idea of who or when they got it, esp. since the symptoms are so vague.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 07:53:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply Patsy,
I actually remember over 40 years ago, having dark urine, and very weak for a few days. Went to a Naturlpath who checked my blood, and said it was Non A Non B hepatitis and nothing for treatment. He said it will take about 20 years before and issues arise. I was doing high risk activities, so I think I knew exactly how how I got it. But it is mute now.
I am now day 2 of treatment and and feel the same, and I really would have refused treatment if the Dr. insisted interferon and gone elsewhere. That is where my mindset is so I got my desire out of it. Your Dr. seems unprofessional and I would have a little hard time with that, but getting healed is the goal. You are this far now, so just keep an eye on the blood work. I always ask for copies of each time I get blood work and check all the flags on the internet.

Offline patsy

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 08:29:26 pm »
The lab sends me copies each time.

I believe I had had it for quite some time (once I did IV drugs about 38 years ago). Either that or from one of my two tattoos. I got one of them about 26 years ago and the other about 5 years ago. The recent one though was done by a real pro that is a friend of my daughter. Then there is the possibility of hospital stays. I broke each wrist at different times and surgery needed to be done on both. I was always very healthy and had only those two surgeries outside of for an ovarian cyst 25 or so years ago. But I've never had a blood transfusion. I finally stopped trying to figure it out. Impossible.

Is it generally thought that it's the interferon that causes the mental/emotional issues?

Offline Mike

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 08:08:06 am »
Interferon is known to cause depression and Ribivrin can cause anxiety/irritability, memory loss and sleep disturbances.

Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 08:48:26 am »
Hi Patsy and Mike,
I'm not an authority on these drugs, but it seems the Solvadi makes the treatment with either Interferon and/or Ribavirin less risky and less problems are reported so far.
The Interferon does have more risky issues I think. The Ribavirin can cause anemia in the blood, the Interferon I think goes into the marrow to cause anemia so needs to be monitored closely. That is why I wanted Olysio. Either one is not without risk. People with the same genotype have different reactions. But if the hepc is doing some damage you have to do something. I hope the memory loss from Ribavirin is not permanent if any happens. All I know is I took Inteferon a long time ago for a few weeks and I did not want to touch it again, I had some nasty reactions.

Offline Mike

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 12:07:45 pm »
The reason folks tolerate the SOL+INTF+RIBV cocktail better, is that the course of therapy is much shorter then it was in days of old.

I did 48 weeks of RIBV+INTF and just completed 12 weeks of SOL+INTF+RIBV.

The 12 week tx was much more manageable because I didn't have to endure an additional 36 weeks of it. The side effects, however, were about the same both times (i.e., fatigue, flu-like symptoms and so on).

Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline patsy

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 02:00:40 pm »
Mike,
Have you found out whether you are cured? Yes, 48 weeks would be hard! Sometimes I wonder if I was kind of railroaded into this though. I'm pretty sure I wasn't feeling any symptoms from the Hep C to begin with. The doctors and the pharmacy were soooo persistent. I finally caved. I used to take a lot of Tylenol w/codeine and that could be where the liver damage came from. It could be just my "paranoid/anxious" side effect talking here but I'm almost done now so I might as well continue and see what happens. Only 2-1/2 more weeks if I've calculated correctly. I'm kind of old (65), but when the gastroenterologist started talking possible liver transplant down the road (haha, not much road left but my primary dr said you're way to young to ignore this) and I got the costs covered, I decided to try it.

Patsy

Offline Mike

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 02:17:19 pm »
Hi Patsy,

I think you made the right decision to move ahead with treatment. Pain medication (codeine, Oxycontin, Demerol, Morphine, et. el.) really doesn't damage the liver and you would have to be eating Tylenol by the handful for this to occur (my guess would be the Hep-C did it).

In any event, you're almost done! You made it! And the chances of full clearance is at hand!

As for me, I have my EOT 12 week blood work next week. I should have the results around the 14th or so. I'm a little nervous, as would be expected. I'll post the results like this: "Cured" or "Relapsed." Anyone following my journey will know exactly what each of these words mean.

Best wishes, Mike

Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline patsy

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 03:06:26 pm »
Well, I was abusing it (the Tylenol #4s), yes, almost by the handful for years. No sense trying to hide it. Got me in a bunch of trouble. But I do know it didn't give me Hep C. Haha! That came from somewhere else.

Geez, good luck Mike. I will do my "Help Thanks Wow" prayer for you. You deserve "Cured." I don't mean to be a downer but I heard you really don't know for sure until 3 months after you stop the treatment. I hope I am wrong about that but Sovaldi send me an email saying various things and that was one of them.

Offline Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 03:37:52 pm »
Yes. It's 12 week after treatment ends.

While in treatment, I was undetectable at week 4 and 12. I was probably undetectable at week 2, however, as the lab accidentally completed a viral load at week one and I went from 9,000,000 per ml to just 103 per ml after 7 days of treatment!

I completed a 12 week course of SOL+INTF+RIBV on April 17th, 2014. The 12 week end of treatment (EOT) threshold arrives next week! My hope is sustained virological response (SVR) after 12 weeks of being off treatment = SVR12 = cured!

Lastly, abusing Tylenol can, in fact cause liver damage. However, having a concomitant Hep-C infection can accelerate the damage many fold and cause it to progress even after you stop the drug abuse. This makes your decision to move forward with Hep-C treatment even more prudent.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 06:53:02 pm »
I too feel like I was railroaded into this treatment. Have learned MUCH more info from this forum --than my Dr. told me. Hey--not bitching, I'm not taking interferon.
And the Sovaldi is basically free, but I will turn 60 during the treatment and now hopefully I can look past 70.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 07:31:47 pm »
I love the honesty and hope on this forum. I believe the truth opens the door to solutions. Thank you everyone for sharing. Mike - I am holding high hopes for your EOT-12 results.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline patsy

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 10:00:57 pm »
desertguy,
I suspect that once the news of Sovaldi got out, medical professionals were asked to look in earnest all across the board for patients with HCV. Don't get me wrong, I am glad there is a drug out there showing such great results but I'm not naive to the "marketing" that goes on in the medical/pharmaceutical community especially now with costs so under the microscope. People are looking more at home treatments and holistic approaches to many illnesses. I got mine free too but someone is paying for it and man is it expensive! Well the triple drug therapy certainly is. I don't know the exact breakdown but Pegasus is unbelievable. Every once in a while some guilt creeps in causing me to think someone else might need it more than I do and they aren't receiving the treatment.

How long is the med regimen without interferon, desertguy? And I'm curious as to how many side-effect are eliminated without the shots. A lot I hope. I am also thinking I may get more years after this. I'm 65.

Patsy

Offline Mike

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 11:59:16 pm »
Folks, don't get caught up with any marketing conspiracies theories. If you notice, Sovaldi is the main ingredient in every treatment option  across all genotypes. There is a reason for this, which of course, is that it works very well in just about every population.

I'm getting ready to get my 12 week end of treatment results (i.e., 12 week post-treatment blood work). If I don't get a SVR12, there are no other treatment options available  for me. I've discussed this with my GI and have reviewed all current research on this matter.

Stated differently, if you relapse with a Sovaldi-based treatment (not cured at the 12 week post treatment mark), and you are a genotype 1a there are no current treatment protocols that follow - other then a  clinical trial.

I hate to point this out, put it is simply a fact.

It's not like your doctor is going to say: "Well that Sovaldi mix didn't work - we'll start you on a course of (blank) next week. It'll work better."

(To confirm this, ask your GI: "What happens if this treatment doesn't work? What's the next step?"

Sovaldi is the game changer - that's the only reason insurance companies are paying for it.

Best wishes, Mike

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:01:22 am by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 07:43:46 am »
I'm to go 24 weeks--day 6 today. I went in to see my gastro guy for other problems--didn't get fixed--but came out with this treatment. doctor actually told me of the costs. This was the first time in my life a doctor quoted a price--and also first time pharmacies contacted me. VERY STRANGE. I see kickbacks to someone here. All that aside--I hope this works .

Offline patsy

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 09:52:55 am »
Yeah, Mike, I almost didn't post that thing up there about marketing, looking for patients, etc. because I was afraid it sounded a little bit "conspiacyish." Oh, well, we all have these thoughts sometimes.

I asked the pharmacy for the cost and at first they didn't tell me because the person on the phone had to get authorization first. But, to my surprise, someone called back and told me. The pharmacy has been great though. They are the ones that did all the legwork to get me in touch with the foundation that is paying my co-pays. There has been a LOT of legwork for me and I have been in contact with some people who aren't doing their jobs very well (my doctor and the psychiatric clinic where I went to be cleared for the treatment) but also some who are going above and beyond what anyone would expect (the workers at the pharmacy are great and so is the woman at the lab that draws my blood every week). So, it's definitely been an experience/adventure. I only hope it's sucessful. But if it isn't, I'm no worse than before.

By the way, has anyone experienced extreme bruising as either a side-effect of the meds or maybe of the Hep C itself?

Offline Mike

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 10:39:28 am »
Sovaldi is a $1000 a pill. 24 weeks of treatment is abut $168,000.00. It's expensive.

I would note that Gilead is covering the cost of this for 1000's of patients and there are non-profits helping with copays.

The problem is that many insurance companies are balking at covering this due to the expense, and are using protocols to choose who gets treated (i.e., those with advanced liver disease and so on). Some get treatment - some don't.

The other issue is with research and development: If the Pharmaceutical Company, which is different from the pharmacy, can't recoup the R&D costs, they will not invest in developing drugs like Sovaldi; period.

Gilead paid 11 billion to bring Sovaldi to market, and has recouped about 3 billion. Of that, 45% went to pay  federal, state and local taxes (you know, the government's cut).

So I ask: Who is getting the kickback?  If Sovaldi was tax exempt - you could cut the cost in half.

I'm not sticking up for Big Pharm. But I do understand 'market forces' - which include expensive regulations, taxes and so forth - all of which are cost drivers and help set the price of Sovaldi.

Best wishes, Mike
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:41:12 am by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »
Patsy - not sure what you mean by "extreme" bruising, but bruising occurs with more advanced hep C and during treatment, esp with peginterferon. One thing to check, some supplements and drugs interfere with clotting, so these could be causing or adding to the bruising.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline patsy

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 06:05:38 pm »
Thanks lporterrn.

For a few years now any little bump to my arms cause a very dark mark. Usually I don't even remember bumping it. It isn't painful but looks horrid. Does seem worse after starting the meds though. I know a lot of older people get this condition (I'm not THAT old, haha) but your reply makes me think it is the Hep C and I will watch for any improvement if I end up being one of the cured. And, yes, I am taking the Pegasus as part of my treatment so the combination of ALL that is probably what's causing it. I would sure love to see that problem diminish.

Patsy

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 11:37:30 pm »
Well, lots of replies and I thank all.

Patsy,
I am sure your Doctor is up on your labs, but I know a low Platelet count will cause brusing, and the liver is responsible for this function. If your platelets are in range then it is not the issue.
I am on day 4 of Solvadi/Ribavirn and have just a little nausea so far. I have dreams that the virus' in me are hiding, and screaming that their time is up.

Offline Mamalof3

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 11:59:16 pm »
Hi everyone. I started the Olysio/Solvaldi treatment June 4th. This is my first treatment ever for my Hep C. The cost is astronomical. Thank God for patient assistance programs. The $140,000.00 is being taken care of. I sure hope this works. It's so difficult mentally. Worrying all the time. Few side effects which I can live with for 12 weeks if the end result is a cure. After 2 weeks viral load went from 1,300,000 to 40.  Although there are many other contributing factors the Dr said this is a good sign. Will have more info after July 10th.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 12:27:19 am »
1,300,000 to 40 in 2 weeks, yeah I would agree that is a good sign.  It is actually unbelievable and the drugs are working as planned.  You will certainly be UD at 4 weeks, so keep going for the rest of the treatment and get cured! Let us know about your future labs.  Good luck, jack

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2014, 01:18:39 pm »
Well,
I'm on my 5Th day, and only a little shaky at bed time, but sleeping pretty good anyway. I am eating good and went to the gym today. I can feel a little stronger as I did my cardio and swimming, and my liver inflammation seems to already gone down and the ache is hardly present. I am feeling optimistic about this, but must admit I am obsessed with monitoring my progress. Don't know if that is a good attribute or not. I am inspired by all the good reports on this forum that I have read.
Thanks

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 04:57:43 pm »
Great News Update on 4 WEEK Lab for Viral Load

HCV RNA, PCR Quant   <15
HCV RNA, PCR, Quant   <1.8
Note HCV RNA  NOT DETECTED

What a great day after being diagnosed over 43 years ago.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 12:22:30 am »
Fantastic news Rainbowray!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Tess1971

• G2b, 12wk Sov/Riba, End 11/15/14 UD, SVR-5,14 & 32-UD
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2014, 07:39:39 pm »
I am going to be starting treatment with Sov/Rib for 12 weeks in a few weeks.  I am still having some doubts but feel it is time.  I have had hcv since 1971 when I was sick with hepB and nonAnonB at same time.  HepB cleared itself, but, hepc is chronic.  Have had bloodwork in normal range for decades, but, the fatigue and some other manifestations are now becoming much more often, always tired.  I am 63 and retired now and still fighting fatigue.  My Dr thinks I should treat now while I am still healthy enough since it is inter free and 12 weeks.  My insurance will pay for it.  I just have a small co-pay.  I have not found anyone who has completed it long enough to see how well it works long term.

Offline virgha828

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 09:38:48 pm »
Hi Tess,

Welcome! This is a great time to treat. Even though Ribavirin is still in the picture the interferon is not. I started my second week of the S/R combo Thursday. Most of my sides are focus and restlessness related.  I contracted hep c in 84 and have also had normal labs since. Just some fatigue but nothing major related to the hepc thankfully.

Unfortunately i watched my brother who also had this go through two liver transplants just to have the virus attack each one. He passed in 96.

I an treating so that i can get rid of this disease once and for all.  I want to be able to look to the future without this virus blocking my view.

I am very hopful that i will clear the virus and  be cured and you should as well. We all deserve this cure. There are so many people on this forum with lots of great information to help you get to your goal. I wish you much luck in your treatment. You are not alone!

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 11:08:01 pm »
Thanks for the support.  There are no support groups here.  Only ones are couple of hundred miles away.  I retired sooner than planned due to the fatigue.  Fortunately I was able to.  I am supposed to start around first of Sept.  I was told by nurse at dr office that they will not check viral load until sometime after treatment has ended.  They already checked it and a couple of pages of other bloodwork also to make sure I am healthy enough.  My concern is the ribavirin and how to best head off any problems if possible.  And if my age will be make me less resilient. ha.
I do have a very high viral load.  Type 2b and treatment naive in my favor though.  I have done so many herb protocols over the years to feel better and keep going, but, have this year stopped them all.  I do have some anxiety about treatment and that is why I have joined this forum.

Offline Mamalof3

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 11:26:56 pm »
Hi again everyone. Well I have only 16 days left of the Olysio/Solvaldi treatment. Started with a viral load of 1,300,000. Was down to 40 after 2 weeks. Virus was undectable at 4 weeks. Still have a lot of fatigue but its a small price to pay if this us the cure for me. Thanks.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 10:50:37 am »
Mamalof3 - You are almost at the finish line. Fantastic!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline HepC53

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 12:10:10 pm »
I just got a call from the Hep nurse regarding my labs last Thursday, they don't work Friday.  She said my AST went from 54 to 19 and my ALT went from 99 to 20.  This is from 2 weeks of treatment SOL/RIB.  I recall she gave me a number which I believe was my initial viral load of 38 million so I plan on asking what that is but does anyone have any suggestions of what other questions should I ask when the Nurse Practitioner calls?  So I guess I all this feeling terrible is paying off.
By the way IAM getting my hair cut really short.  My husband loves that long so does my daughter but it's getting really nasty finding all this hair all over falling out like crazy.  My oldest child wants me to shave it to get a tattoo so I can look all "Bad A$$". But he's 25 and I'm not.  LOL!  Lastly I decided that I'm going to stop worrying about the social stigma I think it's more important to let people learn what's going on with you and hopefully become more educated.
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline HepC53

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 12:24:59 pm »
Ok, this has been a Twighlight Zone forum for me.  My name is also Patsy aka "HepC53" and I am reading through this past forum and asking myself when did I write this stuff in my that out of it?  LOL. I'm reading the forum through my phone so I don't always see the full screen.  Okay it's such an uncommon name, Patsy, but I'm pretty convinced that I didn't write that stuff so... and I'm 53 not 60.  Just a little humor in our day.  Cheers to the Cures!
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 12:55:57 pm »
Hi Tess,
This treatment has a good response rate for Genotype 2, so it is worth the side effects you may have. Fatigue is one of them, but for me it is only at the end of the day. Drink plenty of water all the way through.

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:56 pm »
I have not seen anything regarding hair loss with sovaldi and riba, only with interferon.  Are any of you saying that sov/riba alone causes your hair to fall out?

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 04:20:14 pm »
I don't know about the hair with sol/rib, I have been on for 6 weeks with no hair loss.
I think a few have, but it seems to not be common. The ones that have, the hair grows back after treatment.  Hope that helps.

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 05:46:59 pm »
Ahhh glad to hear that about growing back lol.  I have been following the new drugs for years now and am very optimistic about the sov/rib , but, do admit some anxiety about treatment.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 07:22:16 pm »
If you are going to have hair loss, it usually doesn't show up until at least 6 weeks after starting treatment - sometimes after 12 weeks. Sometimes we see people lose a bit of hair after treatment is over and they don't associate it with the meds. Something I learned in nursing school was if someone has had sudden hair loss, you ask them if they had a fever 6 to 12 weeks ago - often explains it.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline HepC53

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:05 pm »
Well my hair is falling out Sovaldi/RIBA started week 3 Saturday.  Apparently I'm the exception.  Although I've heard of others but can't verify their treatment was the same.  I was told of by one of the tech's at the hospital where my blood was drawn.  My scalp burns and itches.  Now admittedly I had some hair loss prior but the amounts if hair is freaking me and my husband out.  In fact, I was hiding it from him I thought.  I hope the rest if you can bypass that symptom.  All in all it's not terrible and in comparison to the stories I've read of those who suffered the old treatments, I count my blessings. 
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline drayd4

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 01:55:48 pm »
After Carols stay in hospital friday and saturday ,receiving 3 pints of blood , she's feeling much better we had 4 week checkup today even though. friday made 4 weeks we were told that the virus was almost undetectable. we were very pleased . they did reduce the dosage on the ribavirin hoping that she will maintain blood levels . I hope every one keeps doing well and defeats this awful. disease

Offline virgha828

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 02:57:21 pm »
As i wait to leave for my appoint to get my first lab results i have a little demon nagging in my ear... Ugh!

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 03:10:20 pm »
dray,
Glad that Carol is better, so keep an eye on the symptoms even with the lower dose.
It is good the dose is lower but vigilance is called for here. Water is key, sips all day long. Wonder what almost undetected is, hope next test=0

Offline unsure

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2014, 08:30:45 pm »
Thought I'd post an update.  I'm on the three drug 12 week combo. Week 7 this Friday.  Undetectable week four.  I'm staying very reserved I'm a responder relapser from 2007. I'm hesitantly hopeful.   I'm afraid to write it down but not many symptoms.  I actually feel pretty good. I haven't missed any work , a little itching and my anxiety level is a little high.  I had 2 days of pretty bad joint pain but nothing like the 48 weeks of torture.  At least for me.  Still don't know how I made it.  Thanks to God.  5 weeks left. Each time I toss out a ribavirin pack I'm excited and worried. 

Offline Mike

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2014, 10:27:35 pm »
Hey Unsure,

Good deal! I did the same combination, finishing in April. I achieved an SVR12.

You're more than halfway there and undetectable at week 4!!

That's, a big, big step in slaying the dragon!

Keep your head up and eye on the mark!

Best wishes, Mike
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:29:12 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 08:35:35 pm »
Well, just got the word that the meds have been pre-approved and script has been called in today.  I should have first 30 days worth next week.  I am getting anxious now and getting myself as healthy as I can for this.  Even got some shakes for extra protein and some iron since I eat very little meat.  Any suggestions anyone has to dodge anemia I am completely open to.  Treatment is being done with my gastro, but, my primary said he just had one of his 60 yr old patients just sail right through it and definitely feels better for it.

Offline HepC53

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 09:37:23 pm »
Yea Tess!!!  I drink water all day, should make shakes more the side effects are like waves but I'm working, I'm in sales and it's always stressful   Other than that I have had a lot of hair loss, cut it real short and getting lots of compliments. I have cut back on my exercise due to fatigue and my yard and house have slid quite a bit. I'll tell you though I feel like my brain is functioning better than It has in years and I'm wondering how I did everything I did all these years past. My second labs tomorrow, I'm excited!  Feeling positive. 
Wondering how  RainbowRay, DesertGuy & Patsy are doing I've been watching for your posts.
Lastly I regret not using a more creative name on another forum I used CiaoC53 I'm hoping we can all say Ciao to this disease by this time next year.
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline Mike

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 09:44:34 pm »
Drink plenty of water - it really helps.

You should drink 1/2 your body weight in ozs per day.

In other words, if a person weighs 190 pounds, he/she should drink 85 ozs of water per day.  A 120 pound person  should drink 60 ozs, and so on and so forth.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2014, 09:52:34 pm »
Hi Hepc53,
I been meaning to post here but just slip, as I been posting in different threads.
I recently got my blood labs, and liver panel. All in range, and at week 4 I was declared undetected. I've been feeling the blues a little, and fatigue. But I still make it to my job everyday,even though I want to take a break. I get some pain in the liver still, but only occasionally, and not as bad as before treatment started 7 weeks ago. I have 17 weeks to go, and try to make it to the gym, but it take some effort.
I love the hot tub. MY Doctor said coffee is good, so he advised to drink a cup on the way back from my job, as that is when I am tired the most. Keep drinking lots of water. No hair loss here, or rash thank God.
Ok, Ciao for now.   :)

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2014, 09:59:26 pm »
Water water water  I will definitely take that advice.  So Mike did you end your treatment with a viral load of 12?  Is that what you meant by SCR12?  I have a friend who got hepc years ago and almost cleared it herself and has a viral load of 10 and it has not changed in decades.  She was lucky but not for my wild youth.
Fortunately I recently retired from a stressful job that I did for decades even with this virus and was so fatigued the last few years as I got older.  My load is 3.5 mill and has been like that give or take a mill for decades.  I am trying to go into this with a positive outlook that I will clear it..........ha to it ! This treatment will end for me at end of November, just in time for the New Year !

Offline Mike

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2014, 10:24:04 pm »
Yes. However, a SVR12 (sustained virological response 12 weeks) means that, once you're done with treatment (I did a 12 week course of SOL+INTF+RIBV), a viral load will be taken 12 weeks after treatment ends. If that viral load test is undetectable, you are cured (SVR12)!

This is the mark we all want to reach.

The protocol for 12 week treatment regime  is that a pre treatment viral load is taken; one is taken 4 weeks in to treatment; and one at the end of treatment (EOT).

Obviously you want to be virus free at the end of treat (EOT12).

If this holds for 12 weeks after treatment has ended (SVR) - that is, you remain undetectable - it is termed an SVR12 = cured!

This is helpful to know when reading research articles as that is how treatment results are presented. If, for instance, an article read 96% achieved an SVR12, you know that 96 out of 100 people were cured.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 09:42:23 am »
middle of week 8 for me--15 1/2 to go and I envy everyone on a 12 week course--having a few rough days recently , mind and body,---and as I type this I realize when it started--When I pulled all of the hair out of my brush--might as well cut it all of and move on!!!

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 10:08:39 am »
Thanks Mike........My meds are to arrive today by UPS from Specialty Pharm so I will be starting either tomorrow or Sunday. I am doing a 12 week also, but, just Sov and Riba since I am geno 2b.  I will have to stay indoors most of this first week since it is the dog days here of August right now.  Temps in upper 90s with indexes in 100s for most of week, yuk.  Did you take the sovaldi at same time as riba?

Offline HepC53

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2014, 10:40:49 am »
Hi Dessert Guy, thanks for checking in, you're the only other person I know with hair loss.  I'm getting use to the short cut but as I looked in the sink today I wondered how long till I just have to buzz cut. Beginning of week 5 for me.  Got my blood drawn yesterday this time they will check the viral load too.  Letting all kinds of stuff slide, trying to get my family to do some things on my own. My therapist is pushing me to get an antidepressant   Went to see my GP for a second opinion because I don't want more pills.  I held it together until I started talking about the stuff I can't keep up with, lost it over the two $5.00 plants out in my yard that may die if I can't find the energy to plant them. They're still out there!  Well long story, long, the script has been waiting for me at CVS but I don't know should I try the happy pill?
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:07 am »
Well I am a anti happy pill guy----but I am a medical Marijuana patient here in New mexico--believe it or not--I have found a strain that does not really get me high, but it is high in CBD count and really calms me in the mornings after my morning dose---talking about losing it, a few weeks ago here in the desert we had a flash flood--my wife got caught in fast water and ruined a new car--I arrived on seen and went SO BALLISTIC that both the wrecker guy and my wife were in awe---had to have been the pills!!!!

Offline HepC53

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2014, 11:53:47 am »
I'm glad your wife is OK hopefully your insurance will replace the car without too much red tape.  Yes I have find myself yelling at my 13 year old daughter everyday when I get home from work.  I have realized that I always did everything for everyone and now I am resenting their dependence on me.  I even told my husband to make his own car appointment. Something happens to us when we have to face the fact that we may not be whole again; it gets pretty deep.  My reality is if something happened to me they don't even know how to use the washer & dryer let alone know how to access bank accounts etc. My daughter called me a doormat, my husband said "it's not all about me" and I just want someone to offer to dig me two lousy holes in my yard.  This weekend I'm going to get out the pick axe and get all my anger out and plant those two plants and if I'm a basket case by then perhaps I'll try one pill. Oh and why can't I be one of those people who loose 30 pounds!!!  I think this is called RibaRage or in my case RIBA Rag. Thanks for letting me vent.   :o
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2014, 12:07:42 pm »
Hey vent away-------My life sure is not what it used to be either---am sure wondering what next year(post treatment brings)---have been unemployed now for a year--with the attitude I have now, I'm sure I am unemployable--maybe it will be different in 4 months--have isolated myself so much, not really interested in much outside my little world--and when I watch the news and the turmoil going on, kinda glad I'm not part of it

Offline unsure

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2014, 12:26:30 pm »
Reading everyone else's posts is scary.  I'm having very few side effects.  A little anxiety.  I actually feel better than I've felt in years.  The fatigue is gone and the anxiety makes me want to do cart wheels down the road.  I was undetectable at week 4. I'm moving into week 8 today.  If I don't obtain svr12 I'm not ready to go back to the fatigue.  Being a responder relasper from 2007 keeps me worried. 

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2014, 09:37:02 pm »
Thats great your not having much side effects…….I found reading so many of peoples side effects have scarred me at times.  I will be starting tomorrow and am having some anxiety about it right now - whah!  I had it on my calendar to start either tomorrow or monday, but, figured I need to not put it off.  I sure hope I am lucky enough to have limited side effects from the ribavirin.  I will be taking 400mg twice a day.  Any suggestions as to best time to take the sovaldi?

Offline unsure

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2014, 10:09:02 pm »
I take the solvaldi in the morning with my first ribavirin dose around 8a. Be sure to eat first then dose around 30 minutes later.  Take the 2nd riba around 7p  after dinner so you can sleep. Pre medicate with Tylenol and benadryl 30 minutes before your peg injection.  Good luck.  Drink lots of water and get plenty of rest. 

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2014, 11:32:31 pm »
Thanks………I am getting hyped up now and ready to go forward.  I have had this virus since the 70s.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2014, 01:26:20 am »
Tess, sounds like Hep C has had a free ride in you long enough! Go get 'em girl! See you in the cured club in about 24 weeks! Best wishes, jack

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2014, 01:33:02 pm »
I take half of a diuretic (12.5 mg chlorthalidone) to keep my BP low.  Does anyone know if this will cause any issues.  Since I am taking sob/riba in am and riga in PM I was planning to take the diuretic with my vitamin at lunch time.  Today is day 1 for me.  Yowsers !!

Offline Mike

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2014, 02:01:14 pm »
It shouldn't be. I take/took Lisinopril - HTCZ, which has a diuretic, and had no problems. You might check with your doctor if you're concerned.

Also the Pharmacy that shipped my medication ran threw all my prescriptions before I started just to make sure there would be no counter actions.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline HepC53

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2014, 01:58:55 pm »
Into week 5 Sol/RIBA

Start:  AST 54. ALT 99
Viral load 3.2 million

Week 2:  AST 19. ALT 20
Viral Load not checked

Week 4:  AST 16. ALT 12
Viral load 15 (deemed undetectable)

I don't know why I'm so apprehensive to believe that 1/3 the way through I'm out of the weeds. 
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2014, 02:09:25 pm »
HepC53 - Over 5 logs in 4 weeks... I'd call that a success and proof the treatment is working.  And your enzymes really improved.  Keep taking the meds and get cured.  Best wishes,
jack

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2014, 03:24:53 pm »
To HepC53,
Your numbers are like mine at week 4, It means you have a great percentage of
getting SVR/12 . 93% or better. It is worth the aggravation now, later you can dance.
I'm at week 8 now, and with 16 weeks to go I am taking it one day at a time. It is well worth it, and when I'm done this time of trial now will be a pleasant history.

Offline Mike

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2014, 05:54:43 pm »
Congratulations, HepC53,

This is a big, big milestone! Best news you could get!!

Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline unsure

« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2014, 07:21:08 pm »
Okay today I've been as mean as a bull. I'm scaring myself.  I hope I'm just tired, this past week I haven't slept well.  I knew as soon as I wrote down not many side effects I'd get hit like a bull.  Four more weeks.  I'm only able to push through for the hope at the end. 

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2014, 11:32:48 pm »
wow  Looks like everyone is doing great here so far.  I just started and am only on first week.  I hope I do as well as all of you are.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2014, 10:37:46 am »
Okay today I've been as mean as a bull. I'm scaring myself.  I hope I'm just tired, this past week I haven't slept well.  I knew as soon as I wrote down not many side effects I'd get hit like a bull.  Four more weeks.  I'm only able to push through for the hope at the end. 
Hi Unsure - your post brought back memories of my last month of treatment. This is the challenging part. It helped me to lower my expectations, simplify my life, keep my eye on the goal, and engage in activities that brought me pleasure. Also, I took an antihistamine for sleep. When you are done with treatment, you will likely recover quickly. Four weeks goes quickly, except when you want it to!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Hart

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2014, 02:53:40 pm »
I have kept watching the posts from everyone in this thread and I can so relate. I started into my 4th week of S/O & Riba and the nausea, anxiety, insomnia, forgetfulness and just being a mean person is awful.
My doctor said , oh there are no side effects your going to be fine, this was when she was going to do the interferon first until I asked her why can't i do the latest tx. She then decided yes I can do the new tx and that she wasn't going to talk about interferon with anymore patients starting with me!
At least I know my anxiety and rage is induced by the RIBA. But I don't like this person. 9 more weeks to get me back.
I do consider myself very lucky to be on this tx considering the cost and even at my lowest I am very grateful I am being treated and I didn't get diagnosed until these milder txs were available.
Next week they will test me and see how it's going.
We must keep moving forward.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2014, 10:50:46 am »
I know you don't like the medicated person Hart, but be gentle with this temporary person - you are going through a lot!
(Your doctor's statement, "oh there are no side effects your going to be fine" is so misguided!) 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline unsure

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2014, 11:17:51 am »
Good morning, I added benadryl a few nights like you suggested and I feel like a new woman.  Probably helped having a 3 day weekend too.  The mean lady is gone for now.  Week 9 and moving into week 10  on Friday.  September 25 last day.  12/25 will be 1st day for drawing if I have achieved svr12. Wow

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2014, 12:09:02 am »
Im only on week 2 now and I am sleeping better already...but less hours it seems.  I find I am more emotional.  If I watch something that is even slightly sad I get all teary.  even if I hear something sad in news or on a show my eyes get full of tears and I feel like boohooing....lol

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2014, 06:08:41 pm »
Hello All,
Here is my 12 week update since I started this sovaldi/ribavirin combo. Got my bloodwork today, All markers in range including hemoglobin and hemocrit.
Viral load still undetected.
I am thrilled to the core, now have to coast home for 12 more weeks. I am tired mostly at the end of the day when I arrive from my job, but I am grateful still able to do my job.
The main side effects otherwise is itching, but no rash, and moody with ability to give a quick and offensive remark if anyone approaches me with any questionable action. It is funny though, at my job I am quiet as a mouse.
I have been on mostly a high grade healthy diet, even cutting back on red meat for now. Been feeling the healing in my liver. Sleep is better especially since I got a bar of Dead Sea Mineral Salt soap, and some great baby lotion at Whole Foods.
Exercise is now the key, I think. I have been lacking the last few weeks so now off to the gym is my goal.  Can't get away from the thought the virus may make a comeback after treatment is over, but I think that is a natural process. I had some doubt when I received my latest lab work and for nothing, as it is quoted from my doctor "Stellar".

Offline Mike

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2014, 06:18:50 pm »
Hey, Congrats Ray!

I think you're going to slay this dragon (actually, you probably already have ) and the next 12 weeks will be to kick the living crap out of the corpse!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline unsure

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2014, 09:00:00 am »
So, today is my first day without medication.  I'm nervous but I also know I've done everything I can to have a successful treatment.  I was treated in 2007 and I'm geno type 1. My nurse practitioner is very hopeful and all literature is hopeful.  I had my 12 week labs drawn yesterday.  Results are pending.  I'm going to put this in the back of my mind until December for my 6 month labs.  I wish everyone successful treatment and stay with the plan.  I can attest if one day is ruff the next does get better. 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2014, 03:03:08 pm »
Congratulations Unsure - welcome to the next leg of your journey.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Mike

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2014, 03:33:59 pm »
Hi Unsure,

Congrats on getting through the treatment! Give the success rates of Sovaldi, I'm sure you'll reach a SVR12= cured!!!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2014, 11:34:56 am »
YAY for you guys !!  Great to hear these treatments are successful.  Really makes me feel better and easier to hang in there.  I will start week 6 tomorrow.

Offline feralhorse

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2014, 06:45:51 am »
Hi ya'll. I just completed sovaldi ribvarin, 12 weeks, geno 2. I did not really notice any side effect the first 4 weeks. As a matter of fact blood test at week 4 showed viral load below 15. I guess my point here will be caution. My white cells, red cells, plateletts all dropped and I became anemic.  Gradually I had an anemic cough. All this was explained away as ribvarin side effects. Now for the meat. I have been done with treat ment 4 weeks. Wbc is still dropping, ast alt are higher than before treatment, hepc viral load is double from before treatment. I have developed skin infection and ulcers in my mouth. Low grade fever, insomnia, muscle spasms, and doctors are not able to explain this. I called a pharmacist where the meds were provided and they too are at a loss. I have an appointment october 8, this being sept. 28. I my doctor did order another round of blood tests which included a pathology report. The facility I go to posts results on a website which I just got this morning. Pancytopenia, which means all three counts described in blood count were decreased. Ok. I get that, but after a month? Doc said alcohol use, but that is not true. I do not drink. A new word was in report: neutropenia. I looked this one up and it is scary. Along with pathologist recomendation for bone marrow testing. Other words were normochromatic anemia, pancytopenia,  thrombocytopenia.  As best I can understand these, except neutropenia are more or less explained by ribvarin. But after a month today I feel more ill everyday. I am 54 and otherwise in very good shape. I work on a horse ranch much the same as I did 30 years ago. Now I feel like hammered crap. I am positive this has to do with the treatment. My hep c was aquired in the mid 70's from blood transfusion. My viral load was only 89,000 give or take when I began treatment, was only 69,000 when diagnosed in 1999. After 12 weeks of treatment it is 162,000.
Any ideas?
Good luck to everyone, just thought maybe this is something to be aware of and maybe someone else has not responded well to treatment?

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2014, 11:05:32 am »
Hi feralhorse,
Sorry you are going thru this. I have seen another on this forum not get good result on sovaldi/ribavirin and he was Gen 3. A few on sovaldi/olyisio have had a rough go also.
Can I ask a few questions? Seems the anemia started earlier in your treatment, was any action done such as reducing the ribavirin dose, or getting hemocrit shots? N-plate for platlets? When you say your viral load went to <15 was it undetected or detected still. I read that after treatment with ribavirin, the ast and alt can rise, and then settle back. This is not a picnic treatment by any means, I am watching my blood work and even ordering my own from a private lab and paying, in between the doctors orders. Seems it is too far apart so I am more diligent. I don't know enough about your situatoin, but getting answers from the professionals saying they cannot explain, is unacceptable in my opinion. Please keep us updated.

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2014, 12:30:32 pm »
In all my research I have come across that there is always a small percentage of people who have negative results with treatments.  Also, my worry had always been that I had a health issue that I was not aware of or my body was able to keep at bay and the treatment would cause it to come out.  Ribavirin does note that is will exacerbate many health issue that are present.  This is why I have been so strict with what I eat or take during treatment.  Fortunately I gave up eating red meat and pork years ago and eat mostly organic, beans, fish, tofu, very little chicken or turkey and only if humanely raised and organically fed free range.  All vices out the window, not even the slightest cheat during treatment.

Offline feralhorse

« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2014, 02:57:28 pm »
Thanks for reply and info on ast alt. No dosage change. No shots. It was recommended I eat red meat to offset low counts. I did so along with a gr ea at deal of spinach. My treatment was done by a nurse practictioner. Get this, after treatment she inzisted I had missed doses, the only possible reason, essentially calling me a liar. I not only did not miss a dose for the duration I took meds almost precisely 12 hours apart. Within half hour anyway. Further when I insisted she sent me an email. Quote" There is nothing else we can do for you at this time. Wash your hands often and stay away from sick people". Unfrigginbelievable. That prompted me to insist on appointment with liver dr, some kind of ologist or another..which I see on the 8th of october. Re viral load I was told <15 was as low as lab could check. That did not make sense to me but at week 4 viral load had dropped that far and I wasnt having other issues so was not alarmed. The cough/anemia had.not begun yet. Since I posted this morning I have developed an ulcer in my throat now it feels like. I have one on my lips in the corner of my mouth, othe inside of my cheek, and every morning when I wake have small dime size spots of blood and salivs on my pillow. I often taste blood. I almost went to urgent care this morning. .I am weak. I apologize for whining, im at a loss. I dont scare easy, im a southern horseman after all. But this has me concerned.I dont know wher to go for help now. They are dismissing me as a liar and alcoholic, which I am neither. Further, more personal, I am in west michigan for some fool reason..in the south thete is still racial.bias. here everyone seems to think southerners are idiots. One doctor said"we like you here. You are not like some tothless guy from Alabama". They do not realize I work with horses because they are my passion. I was smart enough when I was 15 to grasp that a man that makes a living with his psssion will never work a day in his life
 My iq is 154, a mite above idiot. At any rate I am still feeling poorly, have just awakened from a nap, and have work to do tomorrow.  I dont see how, but my goal is to do exactly that. Yesterday I was so shaky and felt so odd I had my boss drive me home. I left work early. Not something I do. Work is my solace. Im going to ask about a couple of numbers now. My treatment ended august 23. On 9/9 my pateletts were 61, with the low end of normal range being 140. On 9/22 plateletts were 55. Wbc was 1.69 and 2.44, respectively. Normal low value is 4.0. Rbc was 3.44 and 3.53 respectively (to dates mentioned re labs) low normal 4.6. Ok, both rose slightly so of no great concern. Hematocrit fell 35.5 to 35 respectively. Mpv was 11.6 and 12.1 with high normal of 11.  Bear in mind these are all after treatment. Hemoglobin 11.9 and 12. Low normal 14.
I realize this is not a forum of medical professionals however everyone here is a human suffering the same disease. I am at a loss, and hoped our humanness, if that is a word, would inspire ideas from this forum.
I do want to add that I did split a bix of wine over a weekend with a woman I met adter trea6. I had about 2.5 litres of red wine over 72 hour period. I cannot imagine that affecting things so drastically but when I told drs. that they latched on like a pitbull. .I am a stranger here, widowed, and this woman came and went from my life in a single weekend. I only mention it here in case there might be a true connection. My research has shown that alcohol abuse does cause problems but seriously, is that amount of wine abuse?  Felt more like a warm buzz with a warm woman. Something I have not been accustomed to for almost 3 years, since my wife passed. I realize I am getting personal now but dang. Im alone except for work, and guess im tired. I've been wandering since she passed. The last thing she really said to me was make me promise I would go thru with treatment.  So it kind of relates. I ended up in michigan and winters coming. I long for a southern breeze.
Thanks again and any advice is appreciated and will be considered. Please forgive typos. I am using my phone which has a very small keypad.

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2014, 05:14:09 pm »
Hi again feralhorse,
I feel for you, because this ribavirin makes you feel alone in the first place. I definely would be concerned, your platletes are getting low. Below 50 is not cool, and if you start bruising easy go somewhere to check things out . (er or whatever). Get your questions with your appointment together. I am no Dr. but you need to keep close watch of yourself.   
I have read that it takes months for the ribavirin to actually leave the system. It has a 12 day half life, so what you took 12 days ago is half in your system. You been taking it for 12 weeks so imaging the build up. May just take some time to feel better, and also look into the new treatments getting approved soon. Don't give up.
some on this forum have done treatment 3 times before succeeding. Don't do ribavirin anymore.

Offline Mike

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2014, 06:14:18 pm »
Hi feralhorse,

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Rainbowray gave some good advice, and make sure you have all questions answered when you meet with the specialist.

Make a written list of your questions and bring it to the appointment.

Lastly, there are some great treatments coming out shortly that don't include RIBV, and the success rates are great.

I'm sure you'll beat this thing in the near future.

Stay positive and keep your chin.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2014, 08:08:21 pm »
The Specialty Pharm that dispenses the sovaldi and ribavirin to me gave me a copy of detailed pharm info on these meds.  Seems they will not all be cleared from system for 120 days after treatment ends.  Yowsers was my reaction.  Also, using alcohol during treatment can hinder it as it inflames a liver that is already  being overwhelmed with chemicals and a virus.   Seems the labs my gsstro uses had different numbers as to what is normal range also.  I started to get very tired after couple of weeks and then made sure of taking a good multivitamin and then adding protein shakes every other day as they also have iron as well as other ingredients that feed the blood.  I use atkins since they only have one gram sugar and no vitamin A (which too much of is toxic to liver and it is in multivitamin)  Your seeing a gastro/hepatologist is a good idea.

Offline feralhorse

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2014, 08:28:49 pm »
Wow. Im getting some good feedback. Thank ya'll. General concensus seems ribvarin is culprit. My alcohol intake was after treatment and was 2.5 litres of red wine over 72 hours. Im not feeling much better this evening and will be calling my doctor in the morning.  I appreciate the input. I feel much worse now, actually 5 weeks after treatment than at anytime before, or during treatment. I wonder why viral load lowered to less than 15 then doubled original numbers by treatment end? Ifk even if the numbers I show are bad or not. Before treatment I was 89,000. Now im 169,000.

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2014, 08:33:52 pm »
I started treatment with 32 million for a viral load and am only just starting week 6 now.  I will have more blood work done after this week which is half way mark,  Dr did full blood workup prior to treatment, then just checked hemoglobin and platelets after week 2.

Offline feralhorse

« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2014, 08:45:25 pm »
32 million? Did you feel ill? That really concerns me because I never felt ill until after treatment. 32,000,000? Mine is now only 169,000. I feel like a crybaby now compared to that.

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2014, 09:21:53 pm »
My Liver function panels were always in normal range.  I found after so many decades that I was fatiguing easier and many subtle differences were surfacing like concentration harder etc… I did do herbal protocols over the years, but, has ceased everything prior to treatment.  I do eat extremely healthy and get physical exercise and rest regularly to maintain.  My viral load over the years has always been in the millions, got that way after first 20 yrs,prior to that it was in the thousands, but, I did indulge in alcohol and a stressful life which I am sure is what attributed to the higher numbers.  I felt now was the time to do this treatment and see if I can get rid of virus before either I or my liver gets too unhealthy to handle it.

Offline feralhorse

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2014, 09:24:41 pm »
Well good luck. I seem to be of the 2 per cent that does not do well. Odds are you will reach your goal...

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »
I have read everywhere and also been told by numerous doctors that viral load is not a predictor of severity in hepc only one means of monitoring treatment.

Offline feralhorse

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2014, 10:12:04 pm »
Oh. Thanks. Idk any of this...so is the ribvarin why I feel so badly or did some other opportunistic disease creep in? Im unaccustomed to being ill. I havent even had a cold in probably 15 years. I feel like im in trouble now, but then again last time I had a cold I just knew it was bubonic plague or something ya know. Im not accustomed to feeling ill.

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2014, 10:22:31 pm »
Give it time………like the pharm info said it takes up to 120 days for your body to clear all the meds.  I wouldn't drink any alcohol during that time either.  Give your body a chance to get back to normal as it has been messed with big time.  Try to be good to it to help the process along is my advice.

Offline feralhorse

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2014, 10:31:14 pm »
Yes. Thanks. No alcohol for certain. That was a weekend of wine with a woman I met who came and went in 72 hours...I do not like the feeling generally. It was a moment. Im going to doctor tomorrow.  Maybe they can do something to ease me. Definitely not right. Again I did not begin feeling ill at all until 4 weeks after treatment.  Thanks for the input. I have had about two hours sleep since I woke saturday morning. Im going to find a boring movie and try to drift off. I work on a horse ranch and am going to be there at sunup. Blessings all, gn.

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2014, 01:11:14 am »
HEY FERALHORSE! [I think I bet on you at the race track awhile back,  50.00 to win,,,   I LOST  FERAL,, what the hell?]  oh and yes SOUTHERNERS are idiots[[[  I am laughing good now] one of my marriages I married a girl from Jacksonville Arkansas, she had 3 teeth [I had her remove them,,, much beeter and she could hardly fit in my whheelbarrel so that's why I bought a payloader[big ass scoop on that] and then we truly became in love ,until one day I went out to check the horses[she rode a retired klidesdale,budwiser horse,, payloader came in handy there I must say, saddeling up etc.] and we lived on this big mt. in the Ozarks and I mean big!  well we had an outhouse and I was just getting around to making it bigger due to all the fresh bacon she ate and I noticed it was GONE!! yup,,, over the mountain she went, all I could see was toilet paper and weightloss magazines [and three Russell stover order forms] hanging from various trees,, I gave it my best shot after I took a whiz in that direction[wind was right] and then I saddled up and headed down the canyon about 150 yards,,, ooo that smell ,kinda surrounds you,, you know that song from those idiots called lynard skinerd?   but nope,, no where to be seen so I and my stallion [black of course] joyfully headed back to the ranch and I went to bed,,, I had never slept so well and I even got to sleep in the queen size bed. woke up ,giddy uped my ass to the bank with the title,, got good money for the ranch,grabbed a few things ,jumped on my Harley[it was in storage for years because she liked to ride but after two incidents of her and my saddle bags getting wrapped up around my frame I gave that up for awhile,, I even put a special shock system on it from an old chevy I had]  and headed for NY and I haven't seen her since,,dam idiot.. I did get a call from the metro game forest wanting for me to pay for many trees taken out and 3 bears and a moose were trampled on her way down I guess, plus the cost of the outhouse removal,, and there trying to get us [well just me I hope] for killing game out of season. friggin rednecks ain't got no cents of humor.  they think now she may have been one of those bears she killed cause theres no meat left and they say one bear didn't have any teeth,so there you have it, I never met a southerner that wasn't a redneck idiot!!!  ''just'' Willie g   PS    of coursethat was a made up story except the ranch and the outhouse[it did go for a ride once with a friend in it,, with a little push,, good moonshine we made  lots of laughs and she is a beautiful girl [all my wives have been  and great people but when a woman says GET OUT , that use to be a plus for me as well as them, and im the type of guy that doesn't look back especially when on my iron horse[54 panhead back then,suicide clutch with a pbr tap handle as a shifter and I had a bull horn on each side of my helmet[[now that's TRUE]  IM from the country originally ,, upstate and I mean upstate new York but I left when I was 17, ended up south for years [and they had the nerve to say I talked funny] and years and I have the same hat as Stevie ray Vaughn and the old gentleman that made that one made one for one of the good old boys from LYNARD SKINARD and I roadied for Leon Russel [he was here a few months back, played with him [guitar vocals] on the side plus I hung out with Greg [my daughter LITTLEMOON was named after the song SWEET MELISSA,, even met cher that crazy woman[cant imagine anyone not liking heroine back then,,of course that's not funny and my friend I could go on and on,,,, sounds like you need to see a horse dr, [[you know im right]  shhhh theres Michigan fans looking in your windows right now! I sent em ,,yup   I do get around,,  now GIDDY UP 

Offline feralhorse

« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2014, 01:40:50 am »
All I can say is id really like to meetcha.. no sense lookin in the winders. Cmon in and sit a spell. I gotta rabbit ear 12 beside me id sure like to aquaint ya with. Yup. Curious tho. How does your fat ass hold that blubber up to piss?..hadnt seen yor pecker in what, 30 years.
 how, cmon in and meet tj. That my rabbit ear 12. We been all over arkansas. Alwayz a faithful gal but she gets riled by the likes of youins' and spits lead. Heck she can flat cut a feller in half. But maybe yuins' uhl get along whilst I make some sweet tea...always hospitable I am. Tj yull hafta deal with.
God willin bless ya.
PS. I aint puttin in a good word for ya. She done scene yor post and looks a mite anxious. Better go tend her. A coat a ohl always perks her up. And when I tellher shes a gonna meetcha soon I know shell wanna b shiny. Always likes the look in a fellers eye when they figer might outa have done different.

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2014, 02:16:29 am »
Hi feralhorse,
169,000 viral load is actually a very low number. The thing about hepc is the viral load does not matter, it is the damage to the liver and other complications that matter. Damage can happen if a load is way high or way low. No damage can happen if a load is High or low. Hepc is unpredictable and it is capable of changing to defend itself. It transforms to a different variant on its own, it morfs to survive. Attacking it quick and powerful is the best way, but some forms of the variants are unknown and survive. I hate hepc, lived with it 44 years and just getting treatment. You had it less time, with a lower load and have substancial damage. I had 3 million load and it took 43 years to obtain stage 3 liver damage. So all are different, but we need to get rid of the dam thing asap.

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2014, 09:40:37 am »
Hello------havn't replied in a while----had to find the bottom of that hole.
Reading feralhorse's post made me once again feel the need to bitch about the medical profession. I'm in week 13--I see my Dr this week. Saw him at week 8 and my blood work results were totally screwed up. He gave me results from week 4 at week 8--blamed the hosp where it was drawn. They posted same results twice??
He couldn't tell the diff??
took 2 n1/2 weeks of calling the office to get my viral load---he  said undetectable--I'll believe it when I see it on paper.  Also at last visit was he was aware of my attitude and sent me to a shrink to see if I am stable enough to continue.
The shrink was a piece of shit. I tell the truth and mentioned my drug experiences in the military 40 years ago. He centered on this and started calling me an abuser.
Told him he should be smart enough to tell the difference in experimentation and abuse. Also told him I still play with guns--so am I an abuser. Told me he was giving me a new antidepressant that also helped men with ED. Spoke more about my  ejaculations than what the pill would do for my attitude.
So-----if shrinks are like this --driving home I told myself to pull my head out of my ass---and cure my attitude myself. Not even worried about the virus anymore.
So pissed off at this point with the lack of communication from my doctor that I realize I'm on my own. 11 more weeks of pills--drug companies send them to me --they don't even communicate with dr.---3 more visits with him(he doesn't even call me by name)--and then I'm out the door
Cured then??--probably won't know--I'll be 60 then--unemployed and broke--other things to worry about--so spending another six months in dr's offices won't be on my list. See you in a month or so.

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2014, 11:00:40 am »
Desertguy,
Glad your talking again, you and Willie G have company now with feralhorse.
You country guys crack me up with your poetry in your thoughts, sounds like a country music song. Well you seem to be undetected after all, good news and prayer does work. The Dr made a mistake , for once in your favor. My Dr. does not communicate at all, he does not remember my situation until he looks in the computer.
He tells me not to take too much time with questions cause he has other patients, like I'm not a patient or something. Hell, I saw the bill, he gets around $600.00 dollars to "talk" to me for 15 minutes. Guess what, you have to take charge of your health.
I learned this years ago. I am doing things during my 24 week treatment that I won't post about, cause it stirs controversy, and while on this ribavirin I don't feel like debating. I'm undetected and going to finish the ride, I have a planned trip to Disneyland on the final week of treatment, I may stop the ribavirin by then so I can enjoy myself.
Hey Willie,
I had a 45cc knucklehead 1951 Three wheeler in the 60's. It was a meter maid bike, with suicide clutch, distributor spark control on the left, a big knob shifter on the right. What a gas to drive. Your the only person I have heard that drove a suicide clutch Harley, so you and I know what a real bike is. When I get healed and feeling the oats, I may get a new fangled DynaGlide, the golden years are coming.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2014, 12:42:09 pm »
Hi Feralhorse and everyone on this forum,
I thought about splitting this topic, because Feralhorse's situation is so unique that I didn't want it to get lost. However, it looks like you are getting great feedback and people are weighing in from all sides. My 2-cents:
1) As was stated by another forum member, viral load doesn't mean anything other than either you have hep C or you don't. Viral load almost always spikes when it comes back
2) Viral load of <15  is as low as the test goes - it is as close to zero as the lab can get. When the virus returned, it spiked your ALT/AST, as mentioned by Rainbowray
3) No judgement here - but the wine, regardless of the amount - not a good idea. Romance, on the other hand - a great idea.
4) You are showing signs of serious liver disease. You need medical help, and I see you have an upcoming appt. Looks like you and your doc are working on trust issues - try to get these worked out or get a new doc ASAP - you will be in a long term relationship with your doc, and best to work with someone you fee is on your side.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2014, 06:27:40 pm »
You guys definitely tell it like it is - too funny.  So Willieg did you roadie for Leon Russell at any of the Willie Nelson Picnics?  If so, I may have seen you there. ha!

Offline HepC53

« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2014, 11:00:13 am »
Been catching up on some of the recent posts. I am getting close to the end S/R after today 16 left!  It'll be a miricle if I don't get fired in the next few days. My sales production is almost nil. I have been taking a half dose of some generic antidepressant, still tears trickled down my cheek last night as I lay in the dark hating the feel of being in my own skin. I'm tired if saying anything to my husband, he just gives me a blank look anyway so I font know why I try. I am worried about post treatment too.  And I'm bummed that gourmet wine dinners and a stiff drink with a girlfriend or two are likely not going to be part of my lifestyle anymore.  But more than anything I don't want to be known as a sick old lady.  My daughter will be 14 soon, I adopted her when I was 40 and she has been the most rewarding part of my journey so far. She's never been easy but I want to be there for her as long as I can and I need to be a source of strength and inspiration for all my kids, I have 2 step sons who are in their 20's that I was blessed with when they were 2 & 4. Well, thanks for letting me pour my heart out. I still have hair although my scalp constantly itches. I'm back to being confused to the point of embarrassment and if I had the money I'd go get a massage or something indulgent but as it is I feel guilty for the money and bills that have started to pile up due to ll these labs, meds an co-pays.
Blessings to all your health thanks again for being here.
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2014, 11:13:26 am »
HepC53,
Please post after you are done about a month. I want to know how quickly the issues with the ribavirin leave. I have 11 weeks left, it is not an easy ride.

Offline willie g

« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2014, 03:22:01 pm »
HEY RAY, hell ya, pick up a GLIDER, dam good comfortable machine,, get a used one, much cheaper as you know already,, heck tons of people get BIKES today and find out they like their cars better or take one slip that scares the hell out of them[and partner on back, shes the one that makes the decisions lol,,] lotta good deals, hope hep thing is still going well,, later brother  ps  those were the days, those were the days, ''just'' willie g

Offline willie g

« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2014, 03:27:59 pm »
hey FERLINEhorse, shine that nobber right on up,,  now giddy up little doggie ,,, hope everything is going well  as far as treatment goes, and trust me, you don't want to meet me,, waste of time and energy,,  hang in there kid,,, ''just'' willie g lol 

Offline HepC53

« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2014, 03:51:56 pm »
Love the banter, Ray, Willie, FeralHorse. Thank you!  It's beautiful here in Indy and I'm sitting in this basement office and you all have me giggling and remembering that life is too short and it's time to go stir it up. Peace!
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline HepC53

« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2014, 05:23:17 pm »
Oh and Desert Guy, glad to hear from you too!  Were neck in neck for treatment so I'm real curious to hear your progress. My kid just came in from fishing all summer in Alaska and hooked me up with some healthy tasty eats and treats. Nothing like a freezer full of fresh AK fish.
Now RainbowRay you've got me ready to go get some bloodwork elsewhere. I've never met with anyone but my nurse practitioner who is awesome snd so is her nurse but...  Yea right, I wsnt print outs of my labs. What if this dies come back snd bite me. Further more if you can do Disney, well I deserve to go home to Seattle & see my family, I might just Mickey Mouse around while I'm there too.
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2014, 05:56:05 pm »
I love the city of Seattle.

Offline willie g

« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2014, 06:06:09 pm »
HEY HEP C, we are definitely stirring it up lol good to hear from you and DESRTGUY has returned with a vengeance and together with all our twists and turns we are going to ''GET ER DONE''    ''Just'' Willie g

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2014, 10:04:25 pm »
Just got back the half way blood work and all is good.  LFTs all in normal range, hemoglob, platlets are only a .5 below normal and the oddest thing, my kidney function is better than ever at  >90 which is normal kidney function and for the last two years I was at 77 which is mildly decreased kidney function.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  Maybe treating the virus is actually helping my kidneys, did not know if hepc did affect kidneys or not. However, my Bun/Crea was high at 35.0 and normal rations should be 6-25,not shure what that means, but, will look it up. Just finished week 7 today and start week 8 tomorrow.  Will have blood work again nov 5 then a final one with viral load Dec 12 which will be one month after treatment, then again 6 months later.  I am getting nervous now. ha.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2014, 11:33:57 pm »
Fantastic Tess - yes, that does happen, albeit not often - congratulations!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline HepC53

« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2014, 12:03:40 pm »
Day one without S/R. Have my first post treatment appointment Tuesday. Had labs Thursday, waiting on results. Are there withdrawal symptoms I can anticipate? 
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2014, 12:32:42 pm »
Keep us posted as I am starting week 9 of 12 now and getting very anxious.

Offline bepper

« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2014, 11:05:49 am »
Hello,
My name is Ray, seems there are knowledgeable people here so I am posting for some support. I have been with Hepc for over forty years, and the symptoms are finally getting to me. Perhiphial Neuropathy, fatigue, some liver pain. 3 fibrosis bridging. I was always reluctant for Medical treatment, and took every recommended herb for liver and hepc thru the years. The virus is finally doing its thing. Now I am confident to try Solvadi/ribavirin even though I would rather have the Olysio/solvaldi.
Maybe some people with experience can comment when I start treatment starting Monday July 7. got the ok today, with the assistance I will pay $60.00 for 24 weeks treatment. I have BlueShield california coverage.  I am Gen 1B 2,700.000 viral count. I will post status as I go. My Dr. says I do not need to take any tests until 4 weeks out.
Well, thanks for reading.
Hello Ray,
Your post has me very interested. I've been diagnosed/disabled since 1998 with Idiopathic Peripheral Neuropathy, (unknown cause) by two of the best neurologists in my area. I was also told in the 90's by the best liver Dr that I never had to worry about HepC again, that is was gone, and here I sit, all these years later, on treatment. My pain management Dr also scratches his head on my chronic pain cause. I have severe burning in my sciatic nerve, non stop for 17+ years. Can you tell me where you found this info? I am more than interested, as you can imagine. Any info would be so appreciated!

Thanks for your post!
Hope you're having a pain (less) day,
bepper
Dx: 1985 non a-non b Hep
Dx: over next 20 yrs "your body has cleared the virus on it's own, never worry again"

July 2014 Dx: Hep C GT3
ALANINE AMINOTRANSFE   0 - 33 U/L   72   H
ASPARTATE AMINOTRANS   0 - 32 U/L   88   H
HCV QUANTITATIVE viral load   5678036

Started Sol/Rib Oct 9, 2014
UD @ week 4 of TX
Completed tx 3/20/15

Hubby: Successfully tx in 2005
June 2014 Re-dx GT3
Cirrhosis of liver without mention of alcohol
Hepatocellular carcinoma

Liver transplant 3/2015

New life for both!?

Offline bwelsh

« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2014, 11:14:14 am »
Hi ya'll. I just completed sovaldi ribvarin, 12 weeks, geno 2. I did not really notice any side effect the first 4 weeks. As a matter of fact blood test at week 4 showed viral load below 15. I guess my point here will be caution. My white cells, red cells, plateletts all dropped and I became anemic.  Gradually I had an anemic cough. All this was explained away as ribvarin side effects. Now for the meat. I have been done with treat ment 4 weeks. Wbc is still dropping, ast alt are higher than before treatment, hepc viral load is double from before treatment. I have developed skin infection and ulcers in my mouth. Low grade fever, insomnia, muscle spasms, and doctors are not able to explain this. I called a pharmacist where the meds were provided and they too are at a loss. I have an appointment october 8, this being sept. 28. I my doctor did order another round of blood tests which included a pathology report. The facility I go to posts results on a website which I just got this morning. Pancytopenia, which means all three counts described in blood count were decreased. Ok. I get that, but after a month? Doc said alcohol use, but that is not true. I do not drink. A new word was in report: neutropenia. I looked this one up and it is scary. Along with pathologist recomendation for bone marrow testing. Other words were normochromatic anemia, pancytopenia,  thrombocytopenia.  As best I can understand these, except neutropenia are more or less explained by ribvarin. But after a month today I feel more ill everyday. I am 54 and otherwise in very good shape. I work on a horse ranch much the same as I did 30 years ago. Now I feel like hammered crap. I am positive this has to do with the treatment. My hep c was aquired in the mid 70's from blood transfusion. My viral load was only 89,000 give or take when I began treatment, was only 69,000 when diagnosed in 1999. After 12 weeks of treatment it is 162,000.
Any ideas?
Good luck to everyone, just thought maybe this is something to be aware of and maybe someone else has not responded well to treatment?

My Mom did not respond well to treatment, in fact, she has died.  She has the same issues you did... platelets dropping, insomnia, it was horrible.  They blew her off and said it wasn't the medicine.  She never got better.  She was bleeding from her mouth and nose at times and needed platelet transfusions and plasma.  She had a stroke two weeks ago and died one week from today.

What can we do to alert the public this drug is not safe?  We must do something.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:48:09 pm by iana5252 »

Offline bepper

« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2014, 11:15:20 am »
Ray, I just found the info myself on the Mayo clinic website. I am so shocked right now I am speechless. I must investigate more.
These boards are a Godsend. I would've gone to my grave waiting on a Dr to connect the two diagnoses and all I had to do was read a post from a fellow sufferer. In all my research over the years, I never came across this info, so maybe it is newish to the medical community as well.
Oh, that's right, I didn't know I had HepC.

Thanks again Ray.
bepper

Is it ironic that spell check don't even know peripheral neuropathy?
Dx: over next 20 yrs "your body has cleared the virus on it's own, never worry again"

UD @ week 4 of TX
Completed tx 3/20/15

June 2014 Re-dx GT3
Hepatocellular carcinoma

Liver transplant 3/2015

New life for both!?

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2014, 11:35:47 am »
Hi bepper,
Just saw your posts,
In my case the Rheumatoid Factor lab tests showed a high number, so my neurologist suggested to see a Rheumatoid Arthritis Dr. I have not gone yet because I found out
that my Cryocrit count was also High from my Hepatologist labs. I discovered this leads to  Cryoglobulinemia which is a clotting issue caused by the cryocrits gathering in the blood due to clashes with the immune system. I have a autoimmune response on my nerves in the feet from it, hence the neuropothy. You may also have a pinched nerve that is getting more damaged by not getting treatment. Have you seen a chiropractor, it helps me cause my back nerve is slightly pinched and adds to the nerve issues in the feet.
Getting rid of the hepc virus is suppose to rid the neuropothy, per my wife's Arthritis Dr.  The cryrocrit count should drop when the hepc is gone.
There are different types of Cryoglobulinemia if this is what you have. I don't have the websites, but just Google "Cryocrit in Cryoglobulinemia"
In short, you can find the info, get the correct labs ordered to get to the bottom of this. I do most my research, cause the Drs. don't know everything, and don't have time to tell you.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2014, 11:36:38 am »
Bepper (and Ray) -
My dear friend and fellow hep C advocate Alan Franciscus has suffered (and I mean suffered) from peripheral neuropathy (PN) for years. He went through 3 hep C treatments, and the last one cured him. The PN is permanent, but not worsening since treatment. He wrote this: http://hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/pn.pdf
Here is something more scholarly: http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/74/9/1267.full
Note: be sure you are checked for cryoglobulinemia. The cryo gives you a highh treatment priority - PN should too. Anyone with PN who wants treatment should fight any denial of treatment.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2014, 12:09:22 pm »
Hepper and Lucinda,
I don't have diabetes, and the  Cryoglobulinemia issue itself is not bad as I have no blood flow problems. The stupid Cryocrits themselves and my immune system have teamed up to get to my nerves, literally.   Hepc is the cause, because the cryocrits go into the blood from the livers reaction to damage from the hepc.
In conclusion, Hepc sucks. I have 8 weeks left of treatment. A food medicine called metanx can help with the symptoms, it is mostly concentrated B-12 which can help in restoring nerve damage.

Offline bepper

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2014, 12:15:07 pm »
The pinched nerve was ruled out very early when I was ref. to the neurosurgeon as the first step. He was insistent that even though the MRI didn't show a pinched nerve, he was certain I needed a discectomy. Even the second opinion Dr agreed. My HMO approved, so under the knife I went 10/98 only to have the surgeon come out and tell my husband there was in fact no pinched nerve so he sewed me back up. 6 weeks later, my incision swelled to golf ball size. Same surgeon was about to fill out the form to return me to work (ignoring my complaints of severe sciatic burning)when I asked him to at least check the incision. He asked if I wanted it drained. I don't know, I'm not the Dr. So as he drains it, a horrific headache, like hit in the head with a hammer headache follows. He gave a disgusted sigh and said I was leaking spinal fluid from a dura puncture, I would need surgery to repair it. Off to wait for the OR to be free. I waited in that bed till midnight, seeing the surgeon in the corner of my eye holding his head pissed cuz he wanted to go home.

Somewhere along the line I remember getting blood patches that never took.
The following spring I got out of the HMO, went PPO to see the neurologist I wanted to see from the get go. He said that was no puncture, he knicked you. A puncture doesn't require glue and stitches to repair.
That neuro also did tons of blood work that were sent out East that left me a several thousand dollar balance. I don't remember what happened with that bill, but as far as the results, the neuro didn't find anything there. I was diagnosed with a ..can't think of the test, emg? nerve conduction test. Through that test, I was approved for SSDI without a hearing, so I had confirmation that I did in fact, have something serious, I wasn't crazy as that surgeon suggested.

Thanks for the reply Ray, I figured you were (somehow) slaving away at work.
bep

UD @ week 4 of TX
Completed tx 3/20/15

June 2014 Re-dx GT3
Hepatocellular carcinoma

Liver transplant 3/2015

New life for both!?

Offline bepper

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2014, 12:54:12 pm »
Lucinda,

Thank you so much for your informative links. It's very technical for a lay person like me, although before I became disabled with PN, I worked in health insurance claims processing for over ten years and had never heard of PN or saw it on a bill until I was diagnosed. Diagnosing alone took almost two years.

I can't imagine the PN getting better at this point. I was ref. to pain management years ago, when pain clinics where new to the world and have been treating the pain for 15 years with opiates. My pain Dr has suggested I get a morphine pump, but I just can't imagine having an implant with possible severe complications being that I can't control it.
The only thing I've been denied were the extensive labs my neurologist ran years ago. Apparently, the lab he used was not part of any network (unknown to me) I also refused a nerve biopsy as I just wasn't up for having any more cutting on something that wouldn't matter in the end, plus having a possible numb spot on my ankle. God bless the patients that did get biopsied.

I'm sorry about your friend, but always have a distant compassion for anyone when I hear they suffer PN. Darn, even spell check doesn't know Peripheral Neuropathy! I can hardly believe my eyes this morning, my brain is on overload with all this new info.I have bookmarked the links you send for further reading, later.

Thank you to your apparent dedication to this board, these board are so important and necessary for patients.

bepper

UD @ week 4 of TX
Completed tx 3/20/15

June 2014 Re-dx GT3
Hepatocellular carcinoma

Liver transplant 3/2015

New life for both!?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2014, 01:03:05 pm »
Bepper - I will add 2 things:
1) He was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and keeping that in control is critical for PN.
2) He is dedicated to a very intense fitness routine that has kept him strong and active. He walks 12K-15K steps a day and works out at the gym.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline HepC53

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2014, 01:04:50 pm »
Post treatment-Day 3 off S/R. So far no real side effects, less itching, my face is a little flaky but may not be related, appetite is back with a vengeance dammit!  I still woke every few hours but slept until 9am Saturday so that was awesome. I see the Nurse Practitioner tomorrow for post treatment whatever - another co-pay I guess. Anyway if you can all be so generous to suggest questions I should ask I'd really appreciate it. Thank you :D
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline HepC53

« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2014, 10:14:22 pm »
End of week 1 post S/R. Still waking every couple hours, seems my arthritis pain has lessened but I am having a few cramps at night and achy legs. My Nurse Practitioner said my energy would come back it's been average. I'm really focusing on my nutrition because my hemoglobin was so messed up and my fatigue was intense so with regular vitamins added protein smoothies including kale and banana hoping to kill a few challenges with one drink so to speak. Still pounding the water, regular
Exercise etc. The real discomfort has been nose soars and tonight the itching especially on my face has almost made me insane. My mind wasuch clearer for weeks but now my ability to communicate has been flailing,  loosing my thoughts again. Can't complete all my sentences. I'm hoping this is nutrition based and will remedy itself as my blood normalizes. Alas I am pleased to say that I kicked butt at a black light Zumbathon Saturday night, two hours with just a few quick water breaks and I deadheaded some mums and got a little fall planting done. I've yet to scrub my house back to it's former state but it was 70 and sunny this weekend, priorities!  Has anyone heard how Rainbow Ray & Dessert Guy are doing?  If I recall correctly they should be a few weeks post treatment.  Peace
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2014, 12:20:22 am »
Hi,
I still have 7 weeks, I am on the 24 week treatment, it is an experience to say the least. I won't see the Dr. till all pills are gone. Still working, don't know how I'm doing it but I do pray everyday, so it must not be me on my own.

Offline HepC53

« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2014, 08:34:58 am »
You're right Ray!  I need to talk to the Man upstairs more frequently.   I know I'm not alone but need to talk and listen more. I get labs again Thursday. I'll post any changes. I had a miserable night last night do I may as well be heading to work too. Can't sleep anyway. Blessings.
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline zeena

« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:09 am »
hep c 53 we are having a very similar ride on these meds.i also had a nose infection my doc had me put mucipron or something like that in it, and the infection left. never had anything like that before.my physical body is the only thing which seems to work, and  best when the task is running or walking on the beach. mindless tasks are my comfort zone now. have to keep reminding family, 1 more month, do not expect the best from me now. i agitate easily, but i think thats more from me not being comfortable with my limited cognitive abilities. my doc wants me to come in for extra fluids iv style. under stress , which is almost always now, i dont drink enough fluids. excercise has made all the difference. without it i would be unable to work or care.Socially i feel wierd because the me people know is not awake. i just keep on putting off engagements until january. but like, FINISHING ALL THE FOOD ON YOUR PLATE and belonging to the clean plate club can be a challenge, i want to be in the I AM CURED CLUB!!!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2014, 11:09:05 am »
Feralhorse - Hope I can restore your non-crybaby status - viral load doesn't mean anything - there is no correlation between viral load and symptoms or disease progression. You can be sicker with 169,000 than 32 million. Just saying...

32 million? Did you feel ill? That really concerns me because I never felt ill until after treatment. 32,000,000? Mine is now only 169,000. I feel like a crybaby now compared to that.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline HepC53

« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2014, 12:19:15 pm »
Thanks Zeena, a walk on the beach sounds amazing. I'm originally from Washington State and miss the sea air, it does feel so healing. Take care.
New Year for a Cure
Diagnosed May 2014
Rib/Sol 12wk July 2014
Cured January 2015
HCV Geno 2B

Offline zeena

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2014, 02:55:50 pm »
keep us posted fresh starter.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2014, 03:34:23 pm »
Hi Everyone,
True confessions: When a topic which was started in July gets to the end of its second page, I feel too lazy to scroll to a 3rd page. So, I decided to end this topic since Zeena posted the perfect note to end on.

If I cut anyone off, please start a new topic and we'll see you there.
Thanks.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.