Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:24:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Re: totally freaked out  (Read 7120 times)

Offline TracyL

Re: totally freaked out
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:46:16 pm »
I just received notice that I have tested positive for hcv antibodies after donating blood. I donated blood 1 year ago and all was well. I had gotten a tattoo at a popular place about 3 months before. I have done drugs, had a transfusion or anything so the tattoo is the only thing I can think of. I am rarely sick. I am happily married and have 3 children. This news has devastated me. I have always been anxious so now this is all I think of. I am scared of dying and leaving my family.  I have read different things on the internet and I dont think that was the best thing for me to do. I have an appt with my family dr next week for more test.  Im sorry to ramble on but I am really scared. Any input is greatly appreciated. I feel fine health wise and I dont know whether to be thankful that I found out so early or would be better not knowing.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: totally freaked out
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:33:43 am »
Hi TracyL - I moved your comments in to a new thread since I didn't want your post to get buried in someone else's. I am posting my reply to your post in "Totally Freaked Out" and adding one more comment: Even if this turns out to be HCV, you are not dying or leaving your family. You said you felt fine and you donated blood a year ago. Even before HCV was curable, the majority of us died with HCV, not of HCV. So let that concern go.

Here's the previous post:
I know you are scared, but you said one important thing that should not be overlooked--you test positive for HCV antibodies. This means you don't know if you have hep C. You don't say your age and you have a gender non-specific name, but if you are a woman, you have a 40% chance of not having hep C; 19% if you are a man. These chance drop if you are significantly older (50+).

Also, you could have had a false-positive antibody test.

So, the next step is to get the facts-an HCV viral load. Personally, I don't think it is worth the anxiety, given your only risk factor is the tattoo. But telling someone not to be anxious is like telling someone not to scratch - an itch is an itch. Xanax, taken as prescribed won't hurt your liver. In the meantime, avoid alcohol. Let us know the results. Hoping you won't need us.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:35:52 am by lporterrn »
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.