Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:34:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: totally freaked out  (Read 11641 times)

Offline stillcasey

totally freaked out
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:49:08 pm »
Hey guys. I just signed up. I found out about a month ago that I probably have hep c. I wanted to donate plasma and I guess the test results came up positive for it but they told me to get confirmation by more tests. I have no insurance. I just lost my job about 2 weeks ago. I have no idea what to do. I'm lost. I know I haven't been feeling well. Super tired, always kinda bloated feeling maybe? I probably only contracted it maybe 7 months ago but not positive. Does anyone out there know what my first move should be? I need guidance, honestly. I'm scared afraid I'm like dying. What do I do?

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
Re: totally freaked out
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 06:25:58 pm »
Hi...  First thing you need to do is stay calm and slow down.  If you have Hep C do you have any idea when you may have contracted it?  Hep C is very slow to do damage, so there is no reason to panic.  You did not say where you live, but I think I would search around for a public treatment facility and see if they can run some additional blood tests.  You need a liver panel and a quant Hep C test, then you will know a lot more about your situation.  Also, check healthcare.gov for the next open enrollment period for Obamacare, and see what sort of plan you might qualify for.  Depending on what you learn, you also might check into some of the clinical trials discussed on this forum.  Good luck, and take this step by step...  -jack

Offline stillcasey

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »
OK thank you. I live in Virginia. I think I may have gotten back last December maybe 7 months ago.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 06:41:15 pm »
Well, if you recently contracted no need to panic... I had Hep C for 36 years before being cured.  The disease progresses at different rates in different people, so I was lucky, and some even cure on their own, but at the least it will take years to do real damage, so go find a health clinic if you can.  You might not even have the virus.  And, lay off alcohol in the meantime.
 -jack
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:42:48 pm by jberlin »

Offline stillcasey

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 06:42:03 pm »
In the mean time can anyone just tell me what kind of things I should be avoiding, stuff I can be doing to help my liver? I want to start doing everything I can...

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:48:48 pm »
Lay off alcohol, and the most promising additive seems to be milk thistle (OTC supplement).  There has been discussion that coffee is good for the liver as well.  Nothing better for the liver than a healthy diet.  All things in moderation.  Most liver problems in alcoholics are caused because they begin to substitute alcohol for food...  The liver is the only organ than can repair itself, so eat healthy, avoid alcohol, and get that blood test.
 -jack

Offline stillcasey

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 06:55:41 pm »
Thank you jack.

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »
Being diagnosed with Hep-C can be a pretty scary thing, and Jack has given you some great advice.

You might want to call 2-1-1, which the referral line for First Call for Help/United Way. It's confidential (you don't have to give a name - just your zip code). Tell them you have learned that you have a health issue and need some lab work and a doctor. Let them know you just lost your health insurance.

They will give you contact info for all service providers in your area. It's a great place to start and the Virginia contact info is below You can also get info on line by Googling 211.

2-1-1 VIRGINIA
Home Page
Search for Community Services
211  Dial 2-1-1 from service area
(800) 230-6977  Alternative Number
2-1-1 information and referral service for Virginia.

Hang in there. Things will get a lot easier once you have a little more info.

Please let us know if you have any questions and if 211 was helpful.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline TracyL

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
Meant to say HAVE NOT DONE DRUGS.

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:49:29 pm »
stillcasey,
Diet is something that helped me live over 43 years with hepc.
Here is a good resource,  http://www.sandracabot.com/
Her book "The Liver cleaning Diet" has tons of info.
You seem to believe you only had this for 7 months, and you have symptoms. If it is that young (7 months) the symptoms may go away, then return years later. That is what happened to me.  Dandelion tea and Milk Thystle are basics that can help protect the liver and even rid symptoms. but to rid the virus treatment is needed.
There are good treatment options out there now, better than ever, and new ones coming out.  If what you think is true about just getting it, you have a lot of time to learn and take care of yourself. When you get insurance you can get the labs needed to find out where your at.
Thanks
Ray

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.