Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:18:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 67
Total: 67

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: adult child of Hep c parent  (Read 9348 times)

Offline Erin-86

adult child of Hep c parent
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:38:33 pm »
Trying to find clarity or just understand options to help support my parent.
Info I know as of now Geno type 1 viral in the 300,000 (which I've read is low)
Minimal cirrhosis
They've been confimed to have the disease for 16 years w not much progression. 
My parent is considering the Sovaldi & Olysio combo.

My question is if the progression is so minimal and they are relatively healthy why do the medication?
What are the short term side effects and what are the known long term effects in 5-10 years. With the drugs being so new I worry about the effects in years to come being as destructive as this disease.

Offline Mike

Re: adult child of Hep c parent
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 08:30:31 pm »
The reason for treatment is that Hep-C can kill you and the progression of liver disease seems to accelerate the older you get.

Most folks don't show clinical signs or symptoms until 15-20 years post-infection, which is where your parent is and tests show mild liver damage (progression).

In addition, research indicates that a chronic, long-term Hep-C infection can reduce life expectancy upwards of 15 years (and that's if it doesn't progress to cirrhosis, liver failure or carcinoma).

Note also, that a low viral load does not correlate with less liver damage or progression over the long term. You can have a very high viral load and minimal liver damage and a low viral load and advanced liver disease.

Knowing this, why wouldn't you get treatment?

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Erin-86

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:11:13 pm »
Thank you for your reply!
I guess my ignorant thinking is if you're not sick why risk a medication that's still so new. I know that's probably a dumb way to think about it and I'm struggling more because it's my parent so in coming to this group I'm trying to gain knowledge from ppl going through it to help me related better.

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:47:21 pm »
Please don't think you're dumb. You had some really great, heart-felt questions and it shows that you deeply care for your parent.

I wrote a strong reply to your first question so that you'd know that Hep-C can be very pernicious and I didn't want this to escape you.

The treatment today is so advanced, and many people are getting cured (90%+), which was a term not rendered when I was diagnosed (I had about a 30-40%).

The treatment is also short 12-24 weeks (12 weeks in most cases) and so much more tolerable then the old days, when treatment could last 48-70 weeks  and was very grueling to say the least.

Your parent is very lucky to have a child like you, as I'm sure you'll be supportive throughout.

Please take comfort in that this is the golden age for those with Hep-C, and the treatment and new generation drugs are true miracles.

Best wishes, Mike
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:49:28 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:26:28 am »
Ditto on what Mike said. Also, I would add that people with hep C have an overall mortality risk of dying earlier by 15 years from all causes of death. Erin, you didn't say if your parent was female or male, and how long he/she might have had hep C, but if it is your mother, and if she might have had hep C during pregnancy, then you and your siblings need to be tested. 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Erin-86

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:47:56 am »
When she found out 16 years ago we were all tested. Both parents have it but none of their children. Would there be a need to get retested? 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:35:55 pm »
Not unless there was a clear risk factor, such as injection drug use with shared needles or an occupational exposure
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.