Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:37:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 96
Total: 96

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: hep c from bath water  (Read 14608 times)

Offline Scaredella

hep c from bath water
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:32:12 pm »
hello,
I work in a care home and one of the clients recently took a bath while on her period. I am not sure if she is hep c positive, but without thinking I stuck my arm in the water and drained the tub. Does this put me at risk of hep c transmission? The tub was already cold by the time that I drained it.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: hep c from bath water
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:15:41 am »
If the person didn't have hep C, then of course, there is no risk. If you were actively bleeding, and the client had hep C, there might be a risk, but only if you had an entry route for the virus. This would be a very, very remote risk.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Scaredella

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:43:54 pm »
I had no active bleeding that I am aware of, but did have a couple of older scabbed areas. Would the scabbed area be a site of entry?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:05:41 pm »
very unlikely - needs to be an open wound
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline zain

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:10:50 am »
I would advise you to get yourself tested. Although, it can't be transmitted unless you have an open wound but testing would not be a bad idea.

Offline Scaredella

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 06:02:33 pm »
I assume it would be less than the 1.8% risk with a needlestick is this right?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:51:21 pm »
Sort of - with needle sticks, the risk is very low if the needle just goes into the skin, and increases with the size of the needle.
Here is what I think: Fear of getting hep C (or HIV or hep B) sometimes doesn't respond to reason, and although I wouldn't get tested based on what you said, I don't think anything I say will be reassuring. Perhaps the only way to put this to rest is to get tested. Then you can put this concern aside. In the meantime, try not to lose any sleep over it. Life is too short.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Scaredella

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:29:31 am »
Thanks, if you say it is very unlikely to transmit this way I will leave it at that. Think I am just a bit more anxious about exposures right now because I am 3 months pregnant. I also did read online that non-intact skin is an unlikely route.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.