Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: purple red lesions. Sovaldi, peg, ribavirin day 17  (Read 8078 times)

Offline unsure

purple red lesions. Sovaldi, peg, ribavirin day 17
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:15:30 pm »
 I'm new to the forum and very nervous.  I was diagnosed in 2007 completed the 12 months of treatment.  I'm a responder relasper.  I started getting these really itchy red lesions that would bruise badly about a year ago.  I'm 17 days in being treated with 12 weeks of Sovaldi, peg and ribavirin.  Today as the day has progressed I'm not feeling great but still able to keep in my routine.  My question is I'm still getting the lesions.  Noticed one day 15. I nervous the meds aren't working.  Genotype 1a.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: purple red lesions. Sovaldi, peg, ribavirin day 17
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:48:38 pm »
Hi - You will need to ask your doc this. However, this may be because interferon lowers the platelets, which means that you would bruise more easily. If so, this is a normal side effect of the medication and not an indicator that the meds aren't working. Also, you have an excellent chance at success, so it is way too early to worry.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline unsure

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:31 pm »
My doctor actually told me the lesions are an immune response to the hepatitis c and to treat the lesions you must treat the hepatitis.  Which is why I'm sooo worried the meds aren't working.  I don't want to break down emotionally but I scared.  Are the chances of clearing the same for a responder relasper?  I thought I'd be OK if I don't clear but now I'm not so sure I'm ready for this emotional roller coaster.  Unfortunately, its too late to turn back.  I'm going to keep pushing forward, keep my eyes closed and pray. I feel pretty decent and if I can take these meds for 48 weeks I know I can take 12. Other than hepatitis and healthy. 

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:19:13 pm »
Hi Unsure,

I completed the same treatment in April. I achieved an SVR12 , which means cured when taking SOL+INTF+RIBV.

I had some bruising issues, nothing really concerning, and some itching and small red bumps.

I was a previous partial responder (48 weeks of INTF+RIBV in 2001), GT1a, diabetic and high VL.

Sovaldi is a game changer and knocks the virus out quick. The Interferon and Ribivirin do the rest. Your on the best treatment available and the 12 weeks will fly by.

Hang in there - you have a 90%+ chance of for a cure!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:56:38 pm »
Without knowing the cause, it is hard to speculate. But, if your doc said they are an immune response to hep C, then interferon will make this worse for awhile. Again, I can only speculate based on what you are telling me, but here is how to look at it:
When we have hep C, our immune system pumps extra interferon - in some people, it gets very overactive, and they get a more complicated immune response (many different types). If you add interferon to treat hep C, then you will also get this immune reaction.  It is temporary. If hep C was the cause, then if you treat hep C, the problem usually goes away. However, some people get these problems because it runs in their family, or for other reasons, and then treating hep C might not resolve it.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.