Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:07:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 112
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 85
Total: 85

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Diagnosis, First appt with Gastroenterologist tomorrow  (Read 7996 times)

Offline Mendeemoo

New Diagnosis, First appt with Gastroenterologist tomorrow
« on: August 12, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »
Hi all!
I have been lurking here reading for the last 4 weeks since I got my Hep C diagnosis. Since my first big appt. is tomorrow, I figured I would introduce myself!

I am fairly sure I have had it for about 30 years and have a good idea where it came from (although I really think it is irrelevant!) 3 years ago I started getting bad liver enzyme results when I had my yearly physicals. The nurses would even ask me if I was a heavy drinker. Guess it's a good thing I rarely drink!!  This year my thyroid also took a dive. In discussing my thyroid, and feeling like crap all the time this last year, my doc added the Hep test when he tested the thyroid again.

I was quite shocked to see a positive result. Not shocked about having it, but shocked that is has never shown up before. In 2010 and 2011, I had 4 major surgeries. I can't believe no one tested me before! One surgeon even remarked that my surgery was a little more difficult because of my huge liver LOL.

I am rambling so I will get to the point :-) I am genotype 1A and my viral load is 8,126,830. I will be asking my Doc for the Sovaldi / Ribavirin combo, and I got signed up for the $5 Sovaldi Co-Pay yesterday.

Based on what I have been reading on here, the side effects do not seem too terrible. I program income tax software and my busy season is starting now, so I am trying to plan if I will need any time off. I also seem to remember one of the drugs having a sensitivity to sunlight?

Thank You all for sharing your stories. I think I would have been a mess without reading "real life" :-)

Offline Mike

Re: New Diagnosis, First appt with Gastroenterologist tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:22:12 pm »
 Hi Mendeemoo,

The SOL+RIBV is well tolerated in most individuals, and you should be able to work while on treatment. RIBV does have side effects, which can include fatigue, shortness of breath, anemia and so on.

Your physician will be closely monitor you through blood work and consultation with you.

You may want to talk to your doctor about Solvaldi and Olysio (S/O), as with this combination, you can avoid the side effects associated with RIBV. S/O has great results with genotype 1 infected (90%+ cure rate)

The other issue with side effects is the length of treatment. Will it be 12 or 24 weeks?

S/O combination for treating GT 1a is 12 weeks which the shortest available.

Olysio, however, causes photosensitivity, which can result in rashes and burns with minimal  exposure to direct sunlight (you'll need to wear long sleeved shirts, hat, sunscreen & sun glasses while in the sun).

What you want to ask your doctor is: What treatment protocol will give me the highest chance of a cure?

You should be able to work taking either S/O or SOL+RIBV or SOL+INTF+RIBV.

Best wishes, Mike

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:24:11 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Mendeemoo

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:25:47 pm »
Thanks Mike! I think will all the reading I was confused  :)

I was reading about the Olysio, but must have confused it with the ribavirin. That is the combination I was looking for. I remember the 12 weeks and photosensitivity now. I can live with long sleeves for 3 months if I will be cured!

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:35:16 pm »
I'm glad I could help, Mendeemoo.

Let us know how the appointment goes and if you any have questions.

This is a great forum to get information, discuss issues and get support..

We are all stronger working as a team!

Best wishes, Mike

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:22:06 am by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:27:02 pm »
Hi. See if you can get solvadi oylisio combo.from what I read here it has less side effects and I am on it,not bad because no ribv will help but it's between you and the doc and I ain't no doc. Yet I write like one. Only kidding. Welcome.    WILLIE g

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.