Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:01:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Regarding hepatitis B testing  (Read 12432 times)

Offline ErichH

Regarding hepatitis B testing
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:04:27 am »
I'm a healthy 30 year old guy from Sweden, with no overweight or known diseases.

During a business trip to Argentina I made some bad mistakes, and ended up with a CSW of unsure status.

Right after the event I ended up with flu-like illness, fever, chills,diarrhea(water), and night sweats (I never have night sweats) and when those symptoms started to fade a couple of weeks later, I developed the worst malaise and nausea I've ever had.

Back in Sweden I did the following tests;

6 weeks after I did a rapidtest for HIV, negative (Alere AB)

8 weeks after I did a rapidtest for HIV, negative (Alere AB)

And 97 days (13.8 weeks) after potential exposure I did a full std panel (HIV/Hepatitis B/C/ Syphilis) and got back the results which stated negative for everything.

As today 135 days after exposure the only symptoms I have are feeling feverish, abdominal pain in the right quadrant (which feels very clear in the mornings and evenings, and somewhat can sometimes radiate to the back), and some minor nausea, but not bad.

Visited the ER after 134 days and complained about the pain around my liver? or gallbladder? and ALT and AST levels were normal. WBC normal, none of all the values they got from the testing indicated on any problem. All values normal.

I've ruled out HIV and hepatitis C, thats to unlikely to have spread from the exposure I had, but If I look back at the symptoms I've experienced many symptoms could indicate hepatitis B

My test results from the hepatitis B panel 97 days after exposure was the following, i think they use CMIA, but not sure;

-HBsAg negative

-HBsAb 25.51 iu/l (most likely immune due to 3-shot hepatitis B vaccination (twinrix) 9 years ago.

-HBcAb negative.

Are all my tests conclusive? Could my symptoms have been because of the exposure to hepB which my body fought off? (since I'm _proven_ vaccinated/immune) Can HBsAG and HBsAB be positive at the same time?

All the doctors in Sweden say 6 month for hepatitis B and C for conclusive results, but CDC says all people will have conclusive test at 9 weeks.

Thanks in advance

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Regarding hepatitis B testing
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:02:38 pm »
Hi,
The vaccine gives you hep B immunity. With normal ALTs, very unlikely that you have hep C (or the food-borne viruses, hep A or E) - perhaps a food-related illness, or something unrelated. Very unlikely that hep C would show up this late with all the symptoms you have.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline ErichH

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:53:07 am »
My sincerely thanks that you took your time to answer.

Have you ever heard of someone get hepatitis B even when having antibodies level over 10 iu/l ?  Is it possible?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:04:44 pm »
Highly improbable, and if so, your enzymes would be very elevated.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline ErichH

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:54:18 pm »
So you think my tests are conclusive?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 03:55:37 pm »
For hepatitis yes. But you still seem to have a medical problem.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline ErichH

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 01:28:30 am »
Could not sleep this night. Found no comfortable way of laying in bed since I had the pressure in my right upper quadrant. Some minor nausea also, but no nausea that made me feel like I would have to vomit.

Booked an appointment to my doctor this day so try and figure out what is wrong with me.

Still having a hard time letting go that this could be caused by acute hepatitis.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.