Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:00:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 12 Week Log: Sovaldi and Ribavirin  (Read 9829 times)

Offline Jesse12weeklog

12 Week Log: Sovaldi and Ribavirin
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:15:20 pm »
   Hello everyone. I guess I should start with a little background info on myself. I'm new to the whole forum thing, but I thought maybe it could help other people who are about to begin treatment with these 2 meds.
   First off, I was diagnosed with Hep C a few months ago. I was actually in the hospital because i got E. Coli from some bad Chinese buffet food, while doing normal bloodwork, my liver enzymes were elevated and the doctors suggested a Hep test. To my surprise, unfortunately it was Hep C.
   Still to this day, I have no idea where I got this from. I'm not and never have been a IV drug user, never had blood transfusions, and from my understanding, its actually not that trans-missable from sex. My gut feeling says I may have been exposed to it while getting a tattoo. I have 5 or 6 tattoos that i got from all over the world while in the military...but nonetheless I now have Hep C.

TREATMENT: 
   1 x 400mg of Sovaldi (morning)
   2 x 600mg of Ribavirin (morning and evening)

DAY 1:  I just took my first dose of both medications at 10:00 this morning. I've been VERY nervous to start this treatment because of the side effects I've read about. A little background on me...I'm 28 years old, 225lbs, I workout 5 days a week, I eat 5 to 6 meals a day, i drink alcohol 2 to 3 times a year...I consider my diet and lifestyle very healthy. I hope all this helps during the treatment process!!
    So far, it's been about 4 hours since my first dose and can't pinpoint any side effects as of yet. I've had a few tiny spurts of nausea in my stomach, but i think it is just nervousness from finally beginning the treatment.
    I will continue to post throughout my 12 weeks...PLEASE FEEL FREE to ask me any questions, offer any advice, or just post anything in general. I would love to hear from anyone.

---Jesse12weeklog

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:17:54 pm by Jesse12weeklog »

Offline DesertGuy

Re: 12 Week Log: Sovaldi and Ribavirin
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:24:46 pm »
Hey you found the eight place to be-----------and please do not take what I am getting ready to say wrong----I would say it to my own son about your age
Kid--get over it, you have NOTHING to worry about--you are young and healthy compared to everyone else here
These medicines are not going to cause you as much misery as dose of the clap at your age.
And you probably did get it from one of those tattoo's,
So now that I have said that--Like I said welcome to the forum--I feel more at home here talking to the strangers here about how I feel and when I feel it
We will  be looking forward to your posts

Offline virgha828

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 03:51:07 am »
Hi  welcome and look forward to your posts! Im on the same combo just started week 3.  I was also very nervous to start and yes i have had some sides but at week 1 my VL droppdc to 520! So im almost Undetectable. Keep looking to the finish line and good luck with your treatment!

Virginia

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:15:39 am »
Hi Jesse,
I've been doing the same combo   sol/riba for 6.5 weeks. I've had Hepc for 43 years.
I took my first viral load test at week 4 and it showed undetectable. I just recieved my 6 week blood panel and liver panel. All came in normal range. Since over 30 years it has never been all normal especially the alt and ast.  So putting up with some restlessness, an edgy feeling, a very little bit of itching so far is worth the results.
Some get headaches, none for me so far.
Working out will relieve the side effects, also drinking much water. Sip all day long.
64oz is recommended each day. It is key to relieving side effects.
In general I am feeling better. The fatigue at the days end after work is the side effect that is constant, but it is getting better. I believe since the virus is 0 that my liver is recovering and resting, so little by little the fatigue will start fading.
Solvaldi is the key to the combo, it kicks the virus right where it needs to be kicked.

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 02:31:00 pm »
Hi Jesse,

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get and share information.

It sounds like you're pretty healthy, and you should be able to get through the treatment without much difficulties.

Make sure you drink lots of water; it will help with some of the side effects associated with the Ribavirin. Plus, drinking plenty of water is good for you.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 03:03:12 pm »
Hi Jesse,
An awkward question, but based on your age and lack of risk factors (although tattoos could explain it) - Has your mother been tested for hep C? There was lots of hep C in the community back then - between dentist, doctors, and lifestyle choices, many of us were exposed in the 70's and 80's  -  then we had kids, and 5% of those kids have hep C.
Good luck with treatment.
Lucinda
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Pelham123

• Genotype 2 - Tx Sovaldi/Riba
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 04:14:48 pm »
Welcome Jesse, I am half way thru week 3 on sovaldi/RIBA .  I definitely got Hep C from a tattoo I got 40 years ago in San Francisco.   You are going to do fine.   You are young and healthy. 

It is totally scary to hear about the side effects, but you are in such good shape, you may not have any.   My side effects have been very manageable.

My Doctor told me to drink a gallon of water a day.  Everyone on this forum has told me to drink water.  It helps. 

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.