Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:49:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 116
Total: 116

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HEMOGLOBIN LEVELS  (Read 12096 times)

Offline FRED220

HEMOGLOBIN LEVELS
« on: August 21, 2014, 06:40:09 pm »
While on S & O treatment do we get tested for Hemoglobin levels or is that just for Riva and Inteferon?

Offline Picnic

Re: HEMOGLOBIN LEVELS
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:12:59 pm »
They ordered a complete blood count on all my labs. This includes a hgb and hematocrit. Larry
Larry

Offline Bucky

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:33 am »
While on S & O treatment do we get tested for Hemoglobin levels or is that just for Riva and Inteferon?

Yes, it is part of your regular blood test. I am guessing that you know Ribavirin is the culprit in lowered red blood count. This is not a problem with S&O according to my Dr.
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline jma0590

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:38:22 pm »
my hemoglobin levels went from13 down to 9. I need another blood test. I feel like a pin cushion. my doc says if it goes down to 7 I may have to start blood transfusions .

Offline jma0590

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:39:52 pm »
oh I am in my 6th week of treatment so/ ribo. Geno type 3

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 01:36:55 pm »
Has your doctor suggested ribavirin dose reduction? Also, has your doc recommended B12 - might not help with this issue, but it is still worth discussing http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22810757
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Tess1971

• G2b, 12wk Sov/Riba, End 11/15/14 UD, SVR-5,14 & 32-UD
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 12:44:03 am »
My hemoglobin went from 13.4 to 11.5 after the first two weeks of sov/riba.  dr seems to think that is okay and will check again in 4 weeks.  I am only taking a centrum silver 50+ vitamin every afternoon with lunch, but, eating bars or cereal in am that has some B vitamins etc in them.  Since I do not eat red meat or pork at all and only eat some turkey, fish and vegetarian type proteins would it be advisable for me to intake more B12?

Offline jma0590

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:38:17 pm »
Hi Tess.My hemoglobin went from 13 down to9 .I'm just starting week 6 out of 24. I don' like meat either and eat very little fish or may some chicken breast. I startedto take a B complex every day ,but I think I'm going to try extra B12 also

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 05:41:57 pm »
Be careful about taking "extra" of supplements. The issue with the drop in hemoglobin is because the red blood cell breaks before it is fully developed. In studies, B12 was given by injection. Talk to your doc about the right amount for you. Here is what Mayo says about too much B12 http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-b12/safety/hrb-20060243
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline GoVols373

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 01:08:34 pm »
My hemoglobin also fell by end of week 2 to 11.5. Playing phone tag with the nurse to find out what the recommendation is.

I do have a doctor approved energy drink (sans caffeine) that I started using a second time during the day. It has B-12 (6mcg) plus other vitamins and minerals. Seems to help a bit.

Offline Tess1971

• G2b, 12wk Sov/Riba, End 11/15/14 UD, SVR-5,14 & 32-UD
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 10:27:45 pm »
I have been drinking the Atkins mocha latte protein shakes that have only 1 g of sugar, no vitamin A , but, some  B vitamins with some minerals.  23 g of protein which is good for me since I do not eat a lot of  meat.  I can definitely tell a difference in the fatigue after a few days of doing this.  I just finished 4 weeks of sov and riba.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.