Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:29:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C Takes 15 Years Off Your Life Span  (Read 11150 times)

Offline Hep Editors

• Hep Mag
Hep C Takes 15 Years Off Your Life Span
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:50:09 am »
This NATAP study shows that people living with hepatitis C in the U.S. have a 12-times greater mortality rate than people who are uninfected. With an average age at death of 59, those living with the liver virus died an average of 15 years earlier than the typical American.

But what about new treatments? Do you think those will/are cutting back rates? Discuss....

Read more: http://www.hepmag.com/articles/death_risk_2501_24659.shtml
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:02:50 pm by Hep Editors »

Offline Bucky

Re: Hep C Takes 15 Years Off Your Life Span
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:00:43 pm »
Hep Editors,  This is not a new report as you can see it is almost a year old. I don't exactly know why you would want to cause further stress to a group that is already experiencing it.

October 21, 2013

Hep C Takes 15 Years Off Life Span, Raises Death Risk 12-Fold

Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline Hep Editors

• Hep Mag
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:09:41 pm »
Bucky -- True. The interesting thing is, that report came out just before new treatments like Sovaldi and Olysio were approved by the FDA back in the fall of 2013. Now that we're a little more than half a year into these cures, it'll be interesting to see how quickly these numbers will drop....

Next post will be more about this new treatment hope, promise!

Offline Bucky

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:12:21 pm »
Bucky -- True. The interesting thing is, that report came out just before new treatments like Sovaldi and Olysio were approved by the FDA back in the fall of 2013. Now that we're a little more than half a year into these cures, it'll be interesting to see how quickly these numbers will drop....

Next post will be more about this new treatment hope, promise!
"But what about new treatments? Do you think those will/are cutting back rates? Discuss..."

Now I see the purpose of your post. My Dr. said that the destruction from HepC stops when it is eradicated and even people like me with bridging fibrosis will experience some degree of healing. She made that determination by observing the very few of her patients that managed to clear the virus using I&R.  My hope is that I can improve and maintain enough liver function to avoid a decompensated  liver in the future. I guess that I am blessed to be a F4 and not have any of the problems that usually start at that level. Lower than normal platelets are my only problem (80,000) but I have no issues with bleeding. The only downside is that I will still have to have a FU every six months which will include an US.

Naturally, I think that the quicker someone is cured the less effect it will have on lifespan.

BTW,  I will know by late winter if S&O worked and if it didn't I will try the new meds that are available. Two weeks & three days left on S&O!!!!
Bucky
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:21:49 pm by Bucky »

Offline Pelham123

• Genotype 2 - Tx Sovaldi/Riba
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:44:06 am »
This article says I'm at my expiration date.  I'm 64 and I've had HCV for 40 years.  Let's see 80 years average life - 15 = 65!     Nice.  I see my doctor today, I'll ask if he supports this prognosis. 

Offline Bucky

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:14:29 am »
This article says I'm at my expiration date.  I'm 64 and I've had HCV for 40 years.  Let's see 80 years average life - 15 = 65!     Nice.  I see my doctor today, I'll ask if he supports this prognosis.

Exactly, I should be dead too! According to my Hepatologist I only had five years to live ten years ago. My ID just laughed when I told her that as it seems there are so many opinions concerning liver health, disease progression and mortality. I took care of my final arrangements before I retired just in case I checked out early.
I have seen this report in several major newspapers so if it gets more people in to doctors offices to be treated and hopefully cured then great! Every liver saved means one less person on the transplant list.
Bucky

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 11:57:47 am »
I know someone that had bridging fibrosis but rid the virus several years ago.
His liver regenerated completely. The sooner the virus is cleared, the longer we live.
The sad thing is I know several that have died, there life cut short because they did not get the treatment needed, which is what we have now.
Hence, still people are dieing cause they don't discover they are infected till it is too late. That is why HepC is called the silent killer. Telling people of the new treatments and to get proactively tested will get that 15 year number down.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.