Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:22:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Half way there and getting some new sides  (Read 18119 times)

Offline Krissy

Half way there and getting some new sides
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:46:09 pm »
Today I finished my 12th of 24 weeks on Rib/Sov. It went pretty fast and so far I've felt pretty good. No anemia or fatigue and minimal sides.  The headaches are pretty routine and I still have trouble falling and staying asleep.  The melatonin helps a little but I'm definitely not well rested.

Now a few new sides seem to be creeping in and I'm wondering if anyone else has had these.
My throat feels strange. I have to clear it a lot and it feels like there is some thing irritating it down deep in my throat. I can actually feel the irritated area if I press on the front of my throat. Almost like there is a sore inside there or something. It also feels like I have a little heart burn.

I have also been getting brief periods of sudden nausea and a little dizziness along with feeling very hot. It only lasts a few minutes, kind of feels like motion sickness which I am prone to.
I see my family doc soon for my yearly check up so I will mention it to him too.
I know I can get through this I'm just hoping the sides do not keep popping up and it gets harder and harder.
Krissy
Gen 3a, VL 3.4 mil, TX Naive, CURED!!!

Offline zeena

Re: Half way there and getting some new sides
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:17:07 pm »
has your doc  lowered your riba? i just found out today that my red blood count has gone from 14 in the middle normal range to  11.2 whichis technicly anemic.my doc is afraid of cutting my riba dose for fear of virus returning, yet i hae never been anemic and have a demanding job i am also half way thru. can i get feedback on the pros or cons of  stopping the red blood count  drop or continue to  use riba?do you know what your red blood count is? definatly get your throat checked out soon.

Offline Krissy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:32:05 pm »
I will see my liver doctor in a few weeks and will ask about reducing the Riba. My RBC count started around 14 and went down to 11 but it has come back up some. Doc wasn't concerned since I'm feeling good.

The specialty pharmacy called to check on me today and I mentioned the throat thing. The nurse said it is not uncommon. 

So glad to be half way there!

Offline annabanana

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:49:02 pm »
Hi Krissy
I have been having a very scratchy throat and a bit of a sore throat in the a.m. for a couple of weeks that I attributed to allergies but could be the sol/RIBA.  Hang in there you are half way there.
Genotype 3A          DX 2002        VL 400,000     TX Naïve   AST/ALT Normal    Started Sol/Riba 6/9/14 for 24 weeks   UND 4 wk

Offline Pelham123

• Genotype 2 - Tx Sovaldi/Riba
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:52:39 pm »
Hi Krissy, I too get a scratchy throat when taking RIBA/sovaldi.  Sometimes it triggers a dry cough.  It usually happens about an hour after I take the pills, although sometimes, like tonight, The scratchy throat comes later.  I drink a lot of water and that helps soothe my throat. 

I have Gerd and don't take heartburn lightly.  I have been taking Prevacid daily (with my doctor's blessing) since starting treatment, and drink water every hour because I don't want the RIBA/Sovaldi splashing up into my esophagus. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:04:00 pm by Pelham123 »

Offline zeena

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »
hi krissy,
    well, half way thru and my memory is petering out. took my morning meds with me to work, solvadi and riba, i eat late morning and riba goes with food, and i lost them. i am running scared because my husband and son have leaned on me for the last 10 years to pay the bills and keep things straight, and now... i literally have NO MEMORY from one minute to the next.  riba rage is infecting my fear and i just want help. when my husband gives me a credit card to shop he needs to ask for it back immediatly, i need somebody to have my back these next few months.i am going to have to tell my job these meds are affecting my performance and see what they want to do,i look good because i am exercising to ward off the pain and depression, but my mind is oatmeal.At 56 I need to have the vitality and capacity of a 26 year old, which , when healthy i can scrape by, but now...i am kinda scared. oh, and i only lost one of each which is more than enough!

Offline Bucky

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 08:13:31 pm »
hi krissy,
    well, half way thru and my memory is petering out. took my morning meds with me to work, solvadi and riba, i eat late morning and riba goes with food, and i lost them. i am running scared because my husband and son have leaned on me for the last 10 years to pay the bills and keep things straight, and now... i literally have NO MEMORY from one minute to the next.  riba rage is infecting my fear and i just want help. when my husband gives me a credit card to shop he needs to ask for it back immediatly, i need somebody to have my back these next few months.i am going to have to tell my job these meds are affecting my performance and see what they want to do,i look good because i am exercising to ward off the pain and depression, but my mind is oatmeal.At 56 I need to have the vitality and capacity of a 26 year old, which , when healthy i can scrape by, but now...i am kinda scared. oh, and i only lost one of each which is more than enough!

Hello Zenna Princess Warrior,   Have you looked into utilizing FMLA?
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:55:58 pm »
zeena, fmla is definitely the way to go, talk to EPA rep. if you have one there at work. they legally can not disclose anything to anyone at work and if they do they will lose their jobs. I had to use it quite a lot in my career ,so give it a shot, that's what its there for.  as far as losing pills I kinda know how that feels, last time they were three days late on delivery of my meds so I was out of them for 3 days. I was not a happy man and was wondering if it would effect my treatment. I can honestly say on my 3rd day without I felt real weird and it wasn't just the freaking out, when I went to docs. I told him about it, he said they owe me 3 thousand dollars and laughed but then he got serious and said he would make a call to cvs/caremaker.  so if anyone out there is getting your meds thru mail make sure you call at least 5 days ahead to confirm your order and then get a tracking order as soon as you can.  and ZEENA special prayers are going out for you as soon as I hang up. hang in there buddy, it will soon be over,,God please help Zeena right now in every area in her life,please      it is done,,   wiliie g

Offline zeena

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:16:42 pm »
thanks bucky and willie g.
                   my doc has my back, i will talk to HR, stay healthy and enjoy this glorious autumn arrival, at the dawn of our  new health!

Offline Katmbs

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 11:53:21 am »
Hi Krissy,

I too, have the same throat issue.  I noticed that I had enlarged tongue papillae and was nauseated all the time.  My dentist recommended that I try a toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate, like Biotene or Sensodyne.  The medications make our mouths unusually dry, which results in the tongue bumps.  Switching toothpaste did help some, I'm able to eat a little more.  The Biotene has a mouth moisturizer, which I think is great.  I'm 7/12 weeks through treatment.  :)
Blessings,
Kat
Geno 1a - Since 1975 transfusion
Relapsed, 48 wks Int/Rib 2004
Currently Int/Rib/Sov  Slayed the dragon after 4 wks :-)

Offline Krissy

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »
I have been using Natures Gate toothpaste with no sodium lauryl sulfate for years. I love it. I have some Biotene too. The mouth sores come and go and are not too bothersome. Cough and scratchy throat are pretty bad though. If it does not go away after treatment (8 more weeks) I will see a ENT and do a scope down my throat.

I finally decided to try the Ambien for insomnia. I feel so much better after a good nights sleep. I don't take it every night so I wont get addicted.

Anyone else have the hot flashes with nausea? I am wondering if it is the treatment or early menopause. Either way it really stinks!
My Hemoglobin came back up so no Riba reduction. I don't know if I should be relieved or disappointed. I was hoping for a little relief from the sides.  :)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 05:00:09 pm »
Hi Krissy,
Isn't sleep wonderful? Good idea about not taking the ambien every night. Here are some other considerations:
1) Ambien may interfere with S/O, so be sure you talk to your doc about the timing of s/o. I decided not to use it at all during my treatment, and went with ativan (lorazepam) which does not interact. Here is a resource to check drug interactions: http://www.hep-druginteractions.org/Default.aspx
2) Women should not take more than 5 mgs or 6.25 of extended release http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm334041.htm
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Tess1971

• G2b, 12wk Sov/Riba, End 11/15/14 UD, SVR-5,14 & 32-UD
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 05:24:32 pm »
What is FMLA?

Offline Tammra

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 05:48:25 pm »
Hi Krissy,
  I don't know how old you are, but I went thru early menopause about the same time I found out I had Hep C (47). Yes, I always had nausea with the hot flash! I have never talked to anyone who has experienced this before. I could feel them coming on and I would just have to breath thru it.....mine only lasted maybe a minute or two. I never threw up, just felt that way.
Anyway, that was over 2 years ago and now I believe the Hep C was a major contributor to those spells and the early menopause. And my cancer. And my total loss of appetite. I am 5'7 and weigh 105lbs. Started losing weight 2 yrs ago with the hot flashes and I ended up losing 60 lbs within 8 mths.And a dozen other problems.
I am happy to say, I am on Day 15 of Sovaldi/Olysio treatment. I have had minimal side effects..some, but not even worth mentioning.
My doc had me do labs today..at 2 weeks. Has anyone else had their viral load checked at 2 weeks??
I have been cheating a bit since I work in a lab. After one week ....my AST and ALT were 20 and 25 respectively.!!!!!
Tammy

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 10:07:22 pm »
They're not going to check my viral load till one month after treatment is completed.  I have regular bloodwork scheduled but not viral load.

Offline Picnic

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 10:27:05 pm »
Tammra,
I also work in a lab. My 2 week load was undetectable. Good hint is when liver enzymes go down you are getting to undetectable ! Good luck!
Larry

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 12:12:14 am »
Tess1971 - FMLA is the Family Medical Leave Act
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline willie g

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 11:02:21 am »
HEY TESS like Lucinda said fmla is family leave act,i have used it before,, if your sick or you need to take care of a loved one(in your case it is you) if your sickness gets in the way of your work and you need days or a day here and there then you get a note from your Dr

r and present to your work,then anytime your off or call in because of your illness your worker by federal law must give you the time without penalizing you or messing with your work record because of being off.when and if you call in once fmla( which would be oked du to treatment, side effects etc. Another words, if your sickness is going to get in the way of your work, once you receive it and say you wake up and cant go to work ,all you are mandated to do is call give your name and say " i am calling in fmla and there is nothing they can do or Say on their end ,other than OK,you do not have to go on with why,,etc. If you have a eap rep. At your workplace you can go to them under strict confidentiality and discuss it there and they will help you and by federal law they can never discuss what you say to them to Any One (kinda like communion lol) to any of your workplace or people unless you say it is OK but they can only give information you request also by law because if they did their job could be terminated .you can talk to eap about anything and i mean anything and that's why their there and they encourage people to come and see them and if you request another place to meet(due to other employees seeing you etc.they will be glad to do that. Now if you dont want to go eap route and you feel comfortable with human resources or boss than you present Dr. Slip and then they will approve fmla, you use your own time,sickdays,pl,days anydays you have that you have accumulated or if it is going to be longer than a week or maybe its 2 but i think it's anything over 7 days then you can use disability (if you have no time to use etc.) And then you will receive half pay and if you have defered comp or an insurance your paying for in case you ever need to use it then you will receive that.so there you go Tess. Now you know something about fmla. I believe i have given you all correct info. Good luck and hopefully you will feel fine during Your treatment.  "" just" Willie g

Offline Tess1971

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 03:14:16 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I am at end of week 6 of 12.  UGH!  Almost at halfway mark is how I see it - such a waiting game this is for me.  When I was younger and a single parent I could not consider treatment as I could not deal with stressful job and child on the treatments available at the time.  I have waited decades for this waiting game it seems - haha I am laughing at me again.

Offline Mike

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 06:44:15 pm »
FMLA saved me from losing a job when I was on treatment in 2001.

Please note, however, FMLA does not apply to all, there are additional criteria that needs to be met, and not all occupations receive this protection.

Here's a quick breakdown:

"In order to take FMLA leave, you must first work for a covered
employer. Generally, private employers with at least 50 employees
are covered by the law. Private employers with fewer than 50
employees are not covered by the FMLA, but may be covered
by state family and medical leave laws. Government agencies
(including local, state and federal employers) and elementary and
secondary schools are covered by the FMLA, regardless of the
number of employees.

If you work for a covered employer, you need to meet additional
criteria to be eligible to take FMLA leave. Not everyone who works
for a covered employer is eligible.

First, you must have worked for your employer for at least 12
months. You do not have to have worked for 12 months in a row (so
seasonal work counts), but generally if you have a break in service
that lasted more than seven years, you cannot count the period of
employment prior to the seven-year break.

Second, you must have worked for the employer for at least 1250
hours in the 12 months before you take leave. That works out to an
average of about 24 hours per week over the course of a year.

Lastly, you must work at a location where the employer has at least
50 employees within 75 miles of your worksite. So even if your
employer has more than 50 employees, if they are spread out and
there are not 50 employees within 75 miles of where you work, you
will not be eligible to take FMLA leave."

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline willie g

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:09 pm »
thanks MIKE  I worked for the state so therefore I had no problems and they DO check to make sure you are bad enough or family to have it. that's why I recommended eap  but probably like fmla  many workplaces do not have it.  that was just my knowledge of fmla and my guidelines  for I worked for the state which had replacement workers. I should have clarified that more but you did a great job and once again I learned something new. how are you feeling now that has been at least 2 months off? I am soon to be done so I just wanted a breakdown.  thx  ''just willie'' wiliie g

Offline Mike

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 07:50:51 pm »
Life without Hepatitis-C is nice. I can move forward and not worry about my past clawing me back.

I hope, no pray that everyone on this forum has the same experience.

I know treatment sucks; but it's well worth it once you reach the other shore.

And for you, Willie, a special prayer is going up for you tonight.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline willie g

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 12:40:05 am »
Thankyou, Mike[img]''just'' wiliie g

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.