Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:42:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What does it feel like to get a Fibroscan?  (Read 13013 times)

Offline Pelham123

• Genotype 2 - Tx Sovaldi/Riba
What does it feel like to get a Fibroscan?
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:13:44 pm »
My question is:  What is the patient experience when getting a Fibroscan?  Does it hurt?

I asked my Dr. if he would approve a Fibroscan of my liver.  He said he has never used the technology, but he would write an approval if I did the leg work to find out where, and how to get one.   There's only one place in Michigan that has it, Henry Ford Hospital.   

His nurse just called to say that she had faxed over the paperwork, but, she thought a Fibroscan was invasive, and did I really want to get one.  I said it wasn't invasive, and 'yes' I did.

Now, they have made me nervous. 

Offline Bucky

Re: What does it feel like to get a Fibroscan?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:19:42 pm »
My question is:  What is the patient experience when getting a Fibroscan?  Does it hurt?

I asked my Dr. if he would approve a Fibroscan of my liver.  He said he has never used the technology, but he would write an approval if I did the leg work to find out where, and how to get one.   There's only one place in Michigan that has it, Henry Ford Hospital.   

His nurse just called to say that she had faxed over the paperwork, but, she thought a Fibroscan was invasive, and did I really want to get one.  I said it wasn't invasive, and 'yes' I did.

Now, they have made me nervous.

No it is not invasive!    http://www.myliverexam.com/en/lexamen-fibroscan.html
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline Pelham123

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:47:08 pm »
 Thank you, Bucky.  Great!  It's non invasive. 

This website says the wand is placed at one place 10 times.  It only goes to one place?!  The liver is pretty big.  Fibrosis isn't uniform.  It seems like they would put the wand in multiple places. 

It says it gives a number and my Dr. will interpret the results.  I wonder if my Dr. Needs to take a class to interpret the results?  Also, just one number? 

Crazy new technology. 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:47:27 pm »
Ditto on what Bucky said. You don't feel anything except the gel on your skin (cold if they haven't warmed it up) and the device touching you. Brushing your teeth is more invasive.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Pelham123

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 06:06:51 pm »
Thank you Lucinda and Bucky.  I found this video on Getting the procedure.

http://youtu.be/l_E4ZGmKooA

Offline Bucky

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:19:12 pm »
Thank you, Bucky.  Great!  It's non invasive. 

This website says the wand is placed at one place 10 times.  It only goes to one place?!  The liver is pretty big.  Fibrosis isn't uniform.  It seems like they would put the wand in multiple places. 

It says it gives a number and my Dr. will interpret the results.  I wonder if my Dr. Needs to take a class to interpret the results?  Also, just one number? 

Crazy new technology.
The Dr. at the place you have it done will forward the results to your doctor. I have never had one myself since they weren't any of them around where I live when I got my last biopsy. There is now one less than 45 minutes from my house. I was puzzled as well about leaving the wand in one place, but they are measuring the vibration of you liver to determine the stiffness of it.
Bucky

Offline Bucky

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:26:44 pm »
Thank you Lucinda and Bucky.  I found this video on Getting the procedure.

http://youtu.be/l_E4ZGmKooA

I watched the video. I would have like this instead of being harpooned in the side.
Bucky

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 01:39:53 am »
Hi Pelhem,

It took all of ten minutes, felt less than a ultra sound, The machine pulsates and
takes the data and analyis it, then prints out the results with indiviual readings , about 10=15 different regions of the liver with images, then computes the average and sends a printout. My average was 11 ka, which corresponded to the fibrosure blood test I previously took. Both confirmed Stage 3 fibrosis.
I had a biopsy about 30-35 years ago when the fibroscan was not invented and it is a 180 degree different experience. The fibroscan is the way to go, your Doctor should be commended for going a little extra for you.

Offline Pelham123

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 07:25:01 am »
Fibroscan was just approved in the states, so I get it that the Drs and nurses are still learning.   They ARE going the extra mile for me, and I do appreciate it. 

I would not have known about Fibroscan if it weren't for this forum!  Thank you all for being here and generously, and patiently educating me.    Maybe this trail blazing will lead my Dr. to use Fibroscan by default, like some clinics in Canada, instead of 'harpooning' the liver.   Thank you Bucky for that visual. :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:32:10 am by Pelham123 »

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 10:52:56 am »
I guess I'm fortunate, my Dr. had just received one in his office, and he gave me a scan one week before I received my prescriptions. He'll do another one , a year after treatment. Thank God.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:35:07 pm »
Fibroscan was just approved in the states, so I get it that the Drs and nurses are still learning.   They ARE going the extra mile for me, and I do appreciate it. 

I would not have known about Fibroscan if it weren't for this forum!  Thank you all for being here and generously, and patiently educating me.    Maybe this trail blazing will lead my Dr. to use Fibroscan by default, like some clinics in Canada, instead of 'harpooning' the liver.   Thank you Bucky for that visual. :)
Pelham123,  I bet this is one piece of diagnostic equipment that hospitals don't want to see because they stand to lose a ton of money.
You can tell a lot from CBC/liver panels but another way to monitor will be an advantage. I going to follow Rainbow and have one post treatment and if I remain UD another one in a year if to see if indeed I have some healing going on..
I am having an MRI in November for a baseline reference should cancer become a issue.
Bucky

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.