Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:45:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 64
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: No Flu Shot  (Read 13218 times)

Offline Pelham123

• Genotype 2 - Tx Sovaldi/Riba
No Flu Shot
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:28:20 am »
My gastro said NOT to get a Flu shot, or shingles shot until Ribavirin/Sovaldi are out of my system.   The RIBA /sovaldi would likely attack the serum, and render it useless.  He said it takes 120 days for the drugs to fully clear the body. 

Gads, I was planning on traveling over the holidays, and usually get a flu shot before flying on Toxic Airlines USA. 

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
Re: No Flu Shot
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:43:13 pm »
thankyou Pelham, that's a new one, un frigin real. I really hope some poor soul on this site or has hep in treatment went and got that shot,,,,,, 120 days eh? isn't that great,, unreal    I know what some are saying, better 120 days than 1 in the hole,  and of course your right.  willie g

Offline Pelham123

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:23:16 pm »
Willie, it won't hurt you to get the flu/shingles shot.  It just might not work. 

Offline willie g

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:14:56 pm »
ohhhhhhhhhhhh   thankyou

Offline Bucky

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:56:05 pm »
I went in for my end of meds check up today and my IDS said that I needed to get a flu vaccine and ordered it, but then I was not treated with Ribavirin.
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:05:44 pm »
I've heard otherwise - let me run it by a few experts.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Bucky

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:37:25 pm »
I've heard otherwise - let me run it by a few experts.

I certainly would not get a shingle vaccine since it is a weakened live virus as well is the nasal flu vaccine. The regular flu vaccine is dead and as my IDS pointed out, her HIV patients get flu shots and they are on antivirals for a lifetime.   
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:12 pm »
Sorry Pelham123 - I hate to come between a patient and their doc, but I just heard back from two nationally known hep C experts, and they strongly disagree with your gastro, and highly recommend being up-to-date on all vaccines.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Pelham123

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 01:14:56 pm »
Lucinda, Even shingles?  It's a pricey shot so I want to make sure it works it's magic. I'll get the flu vaccine ASAP because there's a huge outbreak with children here in the Midwest.   I don't want to get sick.  My immune system is weak.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:18:32 pm by Pelham123 »

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 04:28:44 pm »
Yes, even shingles
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline willie g

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:42:30 pm »
Hey BUCKY that's cool your almost finished.I had to go today for some more blood work and they said if things go well I may just have one more test.it was weird I have been getting BLOOD WORK DONE in this same building right along and I parked in same spot I always do.when I got inside I got lost.my mind was not working and finally when someone directed me when I left the same thing happened.it was a little scary a d that pain in my right side has been killing me lately. I try to not complain and I hope it's just getting better. I did start my 3rd bottles today so maybe this and next month's will do it.I'll say this though I really prayed for a healing last night and it's not bad today.my eyes hurt from being out and at one point I just pulled over and kicked back to just watch people and think. I had Sun glasses on.oh well.I'm ON other MEDS so maybe that doesn't help and I have been taking 10,000 units of vitamin d a day because my d was real low but I stopped plus I take fish oil and milk THISTLE and a one a day vitamin SO maybe that's not helping. LUCINDA,MIKE,WHOEVER OUT THERE GOT ANY FEEBACK? And of course my arms and hands tingle and I feel scratchy from being out today I guess but it WAS cloudy.anyway GOOD for you BUCKY ,LATER WILLIE g. I was exhausted when I got home but I can't sleep. There,that's MY update,bitch bitch bitch lol. Willie g

Offline Tess1971

• G2b, 12wk Sov/Riba, End 11/15/14 UD, SVR-5,14 & 32-UD
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 11:46:09 am »
I have learned that being overtired will cause memory problems big time……..When I have been exhausted and have not slept well I have cognitive issues - thought I was getting Alzheimer's at one point.  But after catching up on rest and trying to limit stress from work it did noticeably make a difference. 
As to the flu shot, I have been hesitant myself about getting it before I finish treatment.  I am at end of third week now - yay!!

Offline willie g

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 03:59:11 pm »
ya Tess glad your bogeying along and sounding upbeat. i might be getting too much sleep and no activity,so when i do head out its like a new world, maybe that's why i pulled over to just put everything n check and watch the streets move along.there has been so much sun here, i never thought sun would be a bummer in life , oh boy, but today is another day and we are so lucky for all the  gifts we do have in life today. a country that shows resilience and love even after their lives came crashing down. Thankyou to all who make it so i CAN have freedom of speech and able to go outside and enjoy this country. my DAD was a Police officer and a Firefighter. If he were here physically today he would be somewhere honoring the men and women that so sadly lost their lives 13 years ago just because they were on their the  way  to or at work.God bless all the Family's of those great individuals they shared special moments with. They are still here and THEY are what keeps us going day by day ,the memories and the memories still to come. THx DAD i see and feel you today GOD BLESS  all of us. Willie g

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.