Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:06:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 98
Total: 98

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are herbal and dietary supplements safe?  (Read 13555 times)

Offline Mike

Are herbal and dietary supplements safe?
« on: September 05, 2014, 04:59:16 pm »
Are herbal and dietary supplements safe? Are they good for liver health? The answer is probably not:

http://hcvadvocate.blogspot.ca/2014/09/liver-injury-caused-by-herbals-dietary.html

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
Re: Are herbal and dietary supplements safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 05:17:08 pm »
Are body building supplements herbs?

Most Drs are not knowledgeable to herbal remedys, and most are anti herbal.
Controversial to say the least.

Offline Mike

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:29:24 pm »
I've studied herbal remedies and improved liver function (milk thistle et.el) and have not found one scientific research study that demonstrated the benefits on overall liver function. In fact, most of the research report no benefits and, in some instances, actual liver damage can occur from use/overuse.

Moreover, some herbs/supplements can interact with medication, causing liver damage  and/or reducing the efficacy of the prescription medicine.

My rule of thumb: if it sounds to good to be true - it probably is.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Bucky

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:21:12 pm »
I've studied herbal remedies and improved liver function (milk thistle et.el) and have not found one scientific research study that demonstrated the benefits on overall liver function. In fact, most of the research report no benefits and, in some instances, actual liver damage can occur from use/overuse.

Moreover, some herbs/supplements can interact with medication, causing liver damage  and/or reducing the efficacy of the prescription medicine.

My rule of thumb: if it sounds to good to be true - it probably is.

Best wishes, Mike

+1
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 09:34:18 pm »
Milk Thistle  has a + from the FDA. Most supplements are concentrated foods.
The pharma is now prescribing  Medical Foods that only Drs. prescribe such as Metanx for diabetic blood flow issues and Perhiphial Neuropathy. Even the medical systems know that food supplements and herbs are taking good chunks of the market so they are letting it get in the game. Some people are pro something against something else because they were raised that way.
This is a Hepc forum, and most are getting info on treatment with the new drugs,I don't want to get into a controversial or political back and forth. But just for the record , there is a Physicians Desk Reference for known drugs updated every year.
There is also a Physicians Desk Reference for Herbal Medicines that states contradictions. Both are their own science.

Offline Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:20 pm »
Here's a link for study regarding milk thistle and Hep-C:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22797645

Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 09:54:36 am »
Did it do harm?  Here is a more objective paper.   Milk Thystle is more known to protect from harmful substances. It taken right after someone injests poison mushrooms it will protect from harm. It is used as an emergency treatment for this.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/milk-thistle

To say herbs do more damage than good is very trite.

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:27:44 am »
Hi Rainbowray,

My point wasn't about mushroom poisoning or ingestion of industrial chemicals. It related directly to Hep-C (this is a forum for Hep-C).

If you read the study conducted by the National Institute of Health (which used a double blind protocol), the data concludes that milk thistle taken by those infected with Hep-C did not improve liver function. In fact, it tied with the placebo (sugar pill).

When a substance does no better than the placebo (sugar pill) it can be concluded it is not effective in treating what was studied.

Lastly, I did not say or imply that herbs/supplements "do more damage than good..." Those are your words taking mine out of context.

I would note the article you posted (it wasn't a research study) indicates this:

"Precautions

[H]erbs, however, can trigger side effects and can interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. For these reasons, you should take herbs with care, under the supervision of a health care practitioner.

Milk thistle is generally regarded as safe. Side effects are usually mild and may involve stomach upset and diarrhea. Some people may get a rash from touching milk thistle plants.

Milk thistle should not be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women.
People with a history of hormone related cancers, including breast, uterine, and prostate cancer, should not take milk thistle.

Do not take milk thistle if you are allergic to ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, chamomile, yarrow, or daisies."

If you feel herbs/supplements are beneficial to your health, spend the money and take them. There is plenty of research that suggests that the placebo effect can have some benefits.

Myself, I'll stick with FDA approved medications that have objective science backing their efficacy.

Best wishes, Mike

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:30:44 am by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 11:45:44 am »
Are herbal and dietary supplements safe? Are they good for liver health? The answer is probably not

I don't understand your logic, really. Maybe cause I'm on this Ribavirin? Or maybe you have effects from the several attempts with Interferon. The permanent side effects documented by this FDA approved stuff is enough for me to stop this discussion.
You can go on all you want, I'm taking my wife out to her favorite restaurant for her birthday. When I'm hopefully cured of Hepc like you finally were I just hope I can live a healthy, productive life. Herbs and supplements will be a part of it.

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 12:57:05 pm »
Look Ray,

I don't appreciate your snide, Ad Homien comment regarding Interferon. There is absolutely no call for that whatsoever!

It also misleading to suggest that botanicals (herbs) are "approved" by the FDA. They are not:

"Herbal supplements are *REGULATED* by the FDA, but not as drugs or as foods. They fall under a category called dietary supplements. The rules for dietary supplements are as follows:

Manufacturers *DON'T* have to seek FDA *APPROVAL* before putting dietary supplements on the market. In addition, companies can claim that products address a nutrient deficiency, support health or are linked to body functions — if they have supporting research and they include a disclaimer that the *FDA HASN'T EVALUATED* the claim.

Manufacturers must follow good manufacturing practices to ensure that supplements are processed consistently and meet quality standards. *THESE REGULATIONS ARE INTENDED TO KEEP THE WRONG INGREDIENTS AND CONTAMINANTS, SUCH AS PESTICIDES AND LEAD, OUT OF SUPPLEMENTS,* as well as make sure that the right ingredients are included in appropriate amounts.

Once a dietary supplement is on the market, the FDA is responsible for monitoring its safety. If the FDA finds a product to be unsafe, it can take action against the manufacturer or distributor or both, and may issue a warning or require that the product be removed from the market.

These regulations provide assurance that herbal supplements meet certain quality standards and that the FDA can intervene to remove dangerous products from the market.

The rules *DO NOT*, however, *GUARANTEE*  that herbal supplements *ARE SAFE* for anyone to use. Because many supplements contain active ingredients that have strong effects in the body, these products can pose *UNEXPECTED RISKS.* For example, taking a combination of herbal supplements or using supplements together with prescribed medications could lead to harmful, even life-threatening results. For this reason, it's important to talk with your doctor before using herbal supplements."

Mike
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:02:10 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Pelham123

• Genotype 2 - Tx Sovaldi/Riba
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 09:43:53 am »
Milk thistle is in the ragweed family.  I'm allergic to ragweed.  Milk thistle gave me hives.  Be careful! 

Offline Colormepurple

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 12:28:00 pm »
I agree as in my husband moving 2 stages within a year

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.