Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dental Question  (Read 9934 times)

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
Dental Question
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:05:52 pm »
OK,
I currently am on treatment of Sovaldi/Ribavirin and need some dental work.
I am bypassing any work that requires any antibiotics such as the implants I need. I am postponing that. I currently have an appointment for a broken filling that needs a root canal, so Novocaine is going to be used.   Does anyone know if there is any contradictions, my Dr. agreed to not use antibiotics, but thought Novocaine was OK.
Anyone have knowledge or feedback.
Thanks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Dental Question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:23:28 pm »
Hi Rainbowray,
I am curious as to why you you are avoiding antibiotics. Did your doctor recommend this?

My thoughts on this (pertaining to Sovalidi/ribavirin) are that we do what is medically necessary and don't avoid procedures unless we truly can. With this criteria, I'd do exactly as you are proposing -probably hold off on implants, fix dental problems where decay is a potential problem. However, I'd take the antibiotic if recommended, along with lots of pre and probiotics. Novocaine is safe. Check meds for interactions at: http://www.hep-druginteractions.org/

I'd revise this with sovaldi/ledipasvir - no restrictions.

Here is a recent blog by one of my favorite bloggers - she has very advanced cirrhosis, and was a treatment success: http://blogs.hepmag.com/karenhoyt/2014/09/too_often_we_underes.html
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:46:21 pm »
Thanks Lucinda,
I read the blog and I was not sure she meant because of cirrhosis we had to be careful. I don,t have any evident cirrhosis, but I am allergic to some antibiotics, and on ampicilion in the past my viral load zoomed , cause I had a test done soon after. I'm OK with pro biotics but I'm going to avoid the surgery part till later. I think the hepc messed with my dental, since I became undetected my gums are hardly bleeding anymore when I brush and floss.
Thanks again.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:36:30 am »
Ah,
I think these things are unrelated. Viral load goes up and down and the total is a measurement of virus in your blood, not liver. In short, it is a meaningless # and has nothing to do with anything, let along the antibiotics. (Also, viral load goes up as we age but can drop for no apparent reason)

But of course, if you are allergic to certain antibiotics, that is a good reason not to take the ones you are allergic to
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:25 am »
Lucinda,
Its probably for my peace of mind too. I may be paranoid or something but I like the Idea of undetected. I'm just beginning to feel better in the liver, the irritations are subsiding and I just want to be sure. Besides, I tell the dentist I am allergic to Amoxacillon as it give me a bad reaction, so they always write a prescription for Amoxacillon--go figure. Being on Ribavirin for 11 weeks now really makes me deal with stuff like this as a apathy supporter, I would rather wait anyway.  :)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »
I completely understand - logic and science meant very little to me when I was on treatment! Nothing like tuning in to the body and using commonsense, is there?
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.