Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:49:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 85
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has your insurance or Medicaid plan turned you down for hep C treatment?  (Read 13531 times)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
I am looking for someone who has HCV and has been denied treatment by their insurer (private or public), and is willing to be interviewed for a documentary. You have to be willing to be public, as this documentary will be aired on CNN. If so, please send a personal message to me. Thank you.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline lil_debi1964

Hello, You asked if anyone has been turned down for the hep c treatment, Well I have the only insurance I have is medicaid, The drug companies are making a fortune on sick people, and I think that is wrong to do. I am willing to do whatever I have to do to get my treatment! If I can help, please contact me @ lil_debi64@yahoo.com   

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Thank you - I appreciate the offer.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline seekir

• Mikey's Island
From Wikipedia regarding HIV treatment costs—
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_HIV_treatment

This is a dilemma for people like me and countless others with various illnesses:

...treatments, typically drug regimens, are the products of extremely costly and resource intensive clinical research. Once the research is complete, the actual cost of the drugs is much lower... If the drug developers do not recover market cost, then they lose their research investment and certainly have no motivation to invest further in research.

I'm treatment naive with HCV (genotype 1a). I've been looking into buying insurance here in the U.S. so that I can finally benefit from the apparently miraculous development of Sovaldi and other new drugs to treat HCV, which are especially welcome to those of us with stubborn genotypes. One provider's rep has already asked on the phone if I have a pre-existing condition. I probably should have asked why the question was pertinent since PEC's purportedly aren't a disqualifying factor in the current U.S. health insurance market. In retrospect answering his question honestly and failing to ask why he was inquiring if I had any PEC's seems to have been a mistake. There has been no follow-up call encouraging me to enlist me in their ranks of customers.

Congressman Alan Grayson(D) got on the House floor and said the Republican plan is, “Don’t get sick, and if you do get sick, die quickly.”
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:07:40 pm by seekir »
61 yo male
Genotype 1a, treatment naive till 8/6/15 when Harvoni treatment was provided through Gilead's Support Path after health insurer (HMSA) denied Harvoni treatment and appeal due to moderate F1/F2 liver status. Sides very mild, virus "undetectable" at 28 days.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Seekir - my blood is boiling over that question. I HOPE it was asked to help locate providers and ascertain that your meds were covered, but not asked in the right way, was it!

I had good luck working with an broker...
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline seekir

• Mikey's Island
...I HOPE it was asked to help locate providers and ascertain that your meds were covered...
I'd like to think so, but their failure to follow-up after learning of my condition suggests their sales people have been given some incentive to eliminate (or reduce the number of) participants with pre-existing conditions. I suppose it only makes sense for their bottom line, though it's disappointing for me. He initially claimed he could provide a plan for $220/month which seemed astonishingly low. He asked a few questions then quoted a number above $400 (acceptable for me in the circumstances). When I said "that's not $220," he informed me that I sounded younger than I actually am (60) and proceeded to ask about PEC's. This is a large corporation with the initials "K.P."

How did you locate a broker?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:09:38 pm by seekir »
61 yo male
Genotype 1a, treatment naive till 8/6/15 when Harvoni treatment was provided through Gilead's Support Path after health insurer (HMSA) denied Harvoni treatment and appeal due to moderate F1/F2 liver status. Sides very mild, virus "undetectable" at 28 days.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
I asked around. If you live in CA, I can recommend someone.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline seekir

• Mikey's Island
I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii. But I appreciate the offer anyway. I'll see what I can learn on my own.
61 yo male

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.