Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:22:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 117
Total: 117

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Completely confused...  (Read 11354 times)

Offline Scared fiancé

Completely confused...
« on: October 04, 2014, 03:38:11 am »
So back in May my fiancé started bloating very badly in his stomach. Within 3-4 days he looked as if her were about 8 months pregnant. He normally weighs 170 lbs. and he was up to 195. We finally went to the hospital in the 4th day and he was diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the liver. He immediately stopped drinking and was put on water pills. The bloating went down and everything was back to normal. He's continued going to the clinic for blood work to watch his liver levels and at first the doctor told him he didn't have hep c and they wanted to start him on the vaccines, then last weekend they told him he had hep c. I asked how the first results were normal and now they said his HCV Ab, RNA Quant (PCR) levels are 30,747 when normal is below 43. He's scheduled to go to a hep c clinic next week, but can anyone give me any info regarding these results? Also we've been together 5 yrs. what are the chances of me getting it from sexual contact? I don't know anything about this disease and I'm really starting to worry...

Offline Mike

Re: Completely confused...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:16:18 pm »
Hi,

A HCV Ab, RNA Quant (PCR) level of 30,000 means that the virus is active and your  fiancé  and has Hep-C.

The initial screening  for Hep-C, at times, can result in a false-negative, which appears to be the case here. A RNA quantitative test measures and counts the virus present in the blood and is the definitive test to diagnose an infection.

Contracting Hep-C from sexual activity is rare; but possible. Sexual behavior involving direct blood to blood, or blood to membrane contact is one way to transmit the virus (anal intercourse and so on).

Because of the low chance of transmission through sex, Hep-C is not classified as a sexually transmitted disease. However, it would be recommended that sexual partners of those infected should be screened for the virus.

The good news is that there are highly effective treatments available and Hep-C can be cured in 90%+ of those infected.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Scared fiancé

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:35:43 pm »
Thank you Mike. If you don't mind, I have another question. Please excuse me if this sounds dumb, I'm just not educated on this yet, but my daughter lives with me and just gave birth 3 weeks ago. She's a little nervous about the baby. Is there anything you can tell me about the chances of household members getting it... From what I've read it's not really possible, but I need to give her some piece of mind... Thank you

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:45:18 pm »
Hi Scared fiancé,

First, there are no dumb questions in this forum, so please feel free to ask and post all your questions, as some one here should be able to provide an answer.

It would be virtually impossible for your fiance to transmit the virus to a baby, as Hep-C is transmitted blood-to-blood.

It is not like the flu, or a cold or chicken pox. You can't get it from a cough, a sneeze, a hug, a tickle, a kiss and so on.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Scared fiancé

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:18:27 am »
Hey Mike, I'm hoping that you're going to see this post and possibly answer some questions for me... *fingers crossed* If not, anyone's input would be appreciated.

I went with my fiancé to the Hepatitis C clinic last Wednesday and they basically just did some more blood work to genotype it so we know where to start treatment. He examined new treatments were coming out and he wanted to wait for those new treatments to start him on. Today we went to his regular clinic and while
We were there the doctor that was filling in for the day was asking about what happened at the clinic and we told her they just genotyped him and she looks and says "Oh, you're 1A". I asked what that meant and she basically went on to tell him that he had the worst possible genotype and that its resistant to treatment, that it usually won't work with this genotype. I was hoping maybe you could help explain. He's really upset now. The doctor also said he needed to be vaccinated against Hep B, and that he wasn't allowed to eat off of any food trucks any longer to avoid Hep A. A lot to process.

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:05:50 am »
Hi scared,
I have been living with Hepc for 44 years. The Dr. that scared you is typical of a lot of Drs.  You don't have to be intimidated, the new treatments, especially Harvoni is getting excellent results from the trials for Gen 1A.  You can get the the Hep B vaccine but you can wait till treatment is over. I have had Hepc for 44 years with no hep B and no vaccine. That Dr. is not educated with the latest advances, get one that is. The old treatments are horrible. You will get good info on this forum, keep asking.  I'm on Solvaldi/Ribavirin combo with 8 weeks to go.
I am undetected at 3-4 weeks, so it looks good. But if I could have taken Harvoni
I would be much better off, the side effects of what I am taking from the Ribavirin are horrible.

Offline Tess1971

• G2b, 12wk Sov/Riba, End 11/15/14 UD, SVR-5,14 & 32-UD
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:41:44 pm »
I have had hepc since 1971 when it was called nonAnonB and have waited for a treatment without interferon for almost 20 years.  I am in week 9 of sovaldi and ribavarin.  I even had a child in 81 before we knew what nonAnonB was and she is fine, been tested thoroughly when she was in service and has no sign and perfectly heathy.  My partner never contracted anything either.  My health is okay and I am making it through this.  There is definitely time to decide on treatments.  If I had done the treatments back when I would surely be a mess since originally they gave high doses interferon to everyone before they knew better and the drugs become more refined.  I just felt now was a good time for me to do this since interferon was out of the picture and I was in a better situation to handle it.  It has been   43 yrs is a long time for my liver.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.