Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:50:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Mom died from Solvadi  (Read 11156 times)

Offline bwelsh

My Mom died from Solvadi
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:02:02 pm »
Hi remember me, well my Mom died... on Monday.  After having suffered a stroke to her brainstem.  A massive stroke.  She was paralyzed for 1hr before falling into a coma and never woke up or would ever wake up.  She passed away on Monday.

Solvadi was the reason.  Do not take this drug.  All of her issues started after this treatment.  They could never find a reason why she was so sick.  All cancer tests came back negative, they had nothing to go on, nothing, absolutely nothing.

Her blood was bad, her platelets were bad and her plasma was bad.. all from Solvadi.  Whatever it did to her system, it could never be undone.  She was constantly getting new blood, and nothing was working. 

She was absolutely fine driving, swimming, biking until April when she started taking this horrifying drug.  June 9 was her last pill, and she was so sick when she took it.  We had so much hope she would rebound, she never did.

Do not take this drug.  It will kill you like it did my mother.  If you want to contact me, you may... my name is Karyn Retzbach.  I am suing her doctor.

Repeat do not take this drug...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:51:33 pm by iana5252 »

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
Re: My Mom died from Solvadi
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 04:00:40 pm »
Oh Karyn, I and everyone here are so sorry for your loss. I cannot speak to any medical conclusion that you have drawn, and that is not the place for this forum, but you have issued a warning, and my advice would be that concerned individuals immediately consult their personal medical professionals.  There are always risks with any medical treatment, but hopefully researchers and the medical community can address this and make sure any and all risks are being minimized.

My heart and deep sympathy go out to you and your family,
jack

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:35:04 pm »
Karyn, I am so very sorry. I am sure that everyone on the forum sends their condolences.

As you are pursuing your lawsuit, I hope you learn all the facts. During these emotional times (and it has been a rocky few months watching her struggle), it may appear that the drug may be the cause. However, nearly all of the deaths and hospitalizations associated with Sovaldi occurred in people who were already seriously ill. Perhaps it was possible that your mother was taking the medications because she was already showing signs of advanced disease. I know that she appeared to be very fit, but that is the way this horrific disease seems to work. Karen Hoyt's story comes to mind. One day she is on a bike ride, and the next she is nearly dead. http://www.ihelpc.com/about-2/my-story-of-hepatitis-c/

As you pursue this and learn the facts, please let us know. In the meantime, it's time for grief, and nothing is harder. I sure wish I could make it better.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:58:29 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear this, as we were all pulling for your mom.

She seems like such a fighter, battling cancer and Hep-C at the age of 80.

I know there are no words to assuage the grief you are feeling, and I would only tendered that your thoughts and memories be of all the good times and happiness you both shared together.

Sincerely, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline FRED220

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 05:58:02 pm »
When my mother at the age of 78 was advised to have brain surgery I was the first one in line to say NO. I knew the risk involved and I knew in life nothing is 100 % so I asked her not to do it. I had several nights with no sleep and my anxiety was really bad.  Well, she did do it and today three years later she is very healthy and helping me beat my Hep-c. Why some of us do well no matter what and others dont is a mistery and for me it stinks.  I am so sorry for your loss and I wish you and yours lots of peace.

Offline bwelsh

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 06:21:41 pm »
a reminder... she didn't have cancer, she was in remission from cancer.. he cancer 'had not returned' and there was no signs of cancer as of this day.

she was not in advanced stages of this disease... at least her hepatitis doctor never told us that.  I read today that in order for a doctor to be successful with Solvadi, they need to pick patients who are tenacious and who will finish the treatment.

Well this doctor knew my mother was tenacious and he knew she'd complete the treatment.  He treated her selfishly... put an 80 year old on this medicine, for his own success.  He killed her.  He didn't even have the decency to come and see her in the neurosurgical intensive care unit at the hospital.  I left him a message the she was in a coma.  He didn't even come to see her.  He put her on this damn medicine and walked away.  He told her one day she was in the hospital for blood treatment.. he came to her room and said  "oh by the way Beverly, your hepatitis is cured", and she said "congratulations doctor".  Who knows if she was ever cured.. we never saw the numbers, we didn't get involved that close and I hate myself for that.  I wasn't able to take off work to take her to every appointment to monitor her test results, etc, etc.  He used her... he will pay.  I will fight him until the day I die.. just like my Mama had to fight the bleeding that would not stop from her mouth and nose since starting to take Solvadi.

I know most of you don't want the truth, you want to think she had another issue going on, believe what you want.. I watched her die since she started taking his horrible drug.  You just wait and see it's only 6mo old.  You just wait and see how many other people die.

I wish you all the best treatment.. but don't trust this damn medicine, it kills.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 06:44:21 pm »
Karyn,

No one here will or should judge these circumstances, and certainly none of us should be speculating on what may have happened.  You have provided an emotional 1st hand Hep C treatment report, that could possibly indicate complications with a drug. This information should be considered by anyone on or contemplating this drug treatment, in consultation with a medical professional with expertise in Hepatology.

This forum is a support group, and we grieve with you and feel your pain, and wish there was more we could do to console you and your family.  Please believe you have our sincerest sympathy for your loss.  I do wish you and your family peace. -Jack

Offline sunrise

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 08:01:45 am »
Sorry for your loss. I have read you previous posts. From what I am reading, her doctor seemed to be not so attentive. With saying that, at 80 anything can happen. Heck life is short and even at 57 it is risky. I have been on treatment with very few side effects. Bleeding is not one of them. Everyone is different.  All I can say is do what you will, but try to remember the blessings and love your Mother gave you. Thats more than I got from mine. I am thankful for this treatment so I can be around for my son. Again my condolences. ...

Offline bwelsh

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 06:09:05 pm »
We buried my Mom today.

It doesn't matter if the symptoms she showed don't match side affects of Solvadi, but Solvadi compromised her health so much it stopped working.  My mother was fine in the beginning of April before she took this drug.  She was not fine 6 weeks into the treatment, but because she was a fighter and tenacious she continued on the treatment thinking that the symptoms would go away once she took the last pill.

Her health never got better.  I am not sure what this drug did to her system, but it killed her.

I am here just as a warning to others... it may be a great drug for some, but for other its may be fatal.

send me a private message if i can help you in anyway.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:51:00 pm by iana5252 »

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.