Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:54:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 82
Total: 82

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Coffee still good for the liver  (Read 8942 times)

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
Coffee still good for the liver
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:25:39 am »
From the Huffington Post...

The results showed that people who said they drank three or more cups of coffee a day had lower levels of all four of these enzymes, compared with people who did not drink any coffee. Surprisingly, it didn't matter whether a person drank regular or decaf coffee: the effect on liver enzyme levels was almost identical.

Whether Decaf Or Regular, Coffee Seems To Be Good For Your Liver
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/10/coffee-liver-health-decaf-regular_n_5965946.html

Offline petra

Re: Coffee still good for the liver
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 05:03:24 pm »
Hi, coffee reduces iron absorption from plant sources. I have been wondering about that connection. Iron overload is an issue with Hep c. 
User Name: petra
Height: 5' 7" Weight: 118
Diagnosed: June 2014
Infected: unsure of when
geno type: 2
Biopsy Score:no fibro scan or biopsy
Pre treatment: 3.5 million vl, other blood work normal
TX start date: October 17, 2014
Treatment Protocol: 12 weeks of 400mg of Sovaldi and 800 mg of Ribavirin per day
Side Effects: fatigue, itchiness.

Viral load:
3.5 million at start of treatment
18 at 4 weeks
undetected at 6, 8, and 12 weeks.
SVR at 12 weeks after treatment

Offline seekir

• Mikey's Island
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:33:56 pm »
...coffee reduces iron absorption from plant sources.
My iron was quite elevated after my diagnosis fifteen years ago, and I thought it might be wise to control iron uptake and accumulation by limiting high-heme meats, especially beef and pork. (I'm treatment "naive," and hoping to qualify for a Sovaldi treatment of some sort soon.) I have phlebotomies too, if blood tests indicate high iron levels (about one a year). I also drink tea with meals since it reputedly blocks iron absorption.
61 yo male
Genotype 1a, treatment naive till 8/6/15 when Harvoni treatment was provided through Gilead's Support Path after health insurer (HMSA) denied Harvoni treatment and appeal due to moderate F1/F2 liver status. Sides very mild, virus "undetectable" at 28 days.

Offline petra

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:22:00 pm »
My iron levels are normal but I am drinking my 2 cups of coffee a day with, or within an hour after meals... just in case. This is only my 11th day on Sovaldi and Ribavirin. 
User Name: petra
Height: 5' 7" Weight: 118
Diagnosed: June 2014
Infected: unsure of when
geno type: 2
Biopsy Score:no fibro scan or biopsy
Pre treatment: 3.5 million vl, other blood work normal
TX start date: October 17, 2014
Treatment Protocol: 12 weeks of 400mg of Sovaldi and 800 mg of Ribavirin per day
Side Effects: fatigue, itchiness.

Viral load:
3.5 million at start of treatment
18 at 4 weeks
undetected at 6, 8, and 12 weeks.
SVR at 12 weeks after treatment

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 03:34:56 pm »
There is a noted correlation between high ferritn levels (indicative of high iron) and successful Hep-C treatment.

This was a factor when I first treated with PEG+RIBV. I'm not sure if the correlation holds with Sovaldi-based treatments.

Because of this, I would recommend talking to your treatment provider if high ferritin levels are noted. The treatment to reduce these levels is therapeutic phlebotomies.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.