Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:27:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need support  (Read 10837 times)

Offline Dylsmomjacquie

Need support
« on: October 15, 2014, 06:00:28 pm »
My husband 57 was just diagnosed with hcv this past week...he is so scared he's never been sick..just not unstanding his lab results and what they have to do with hcv. Ast 47, alt 90, Plt 134, mch 33, rdw 11.4. They just did more blood work and he has an appointment next week. They called me in today to have a blood test also....should I be worried should we have our 19 year old son tested??

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Need support
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 10:24:31 pm »
Hi,
Oh my heart aches, because I know this is a very frightening time. It gets easier, I promise. And you found a wonderful place to get support.

Let's talk a few basics:
1) You asked if you should be worried - honestly, you will probably worry for awhile until you know more. Yes, get the test. If you are worried that you got hep C from him - it depends. Unlikely just through household contact and sex. But, assuming you are close in age to your husband, and born 1945-1965, you need to be tested. I highly recommend that we talk about that more after you get the results. If you are positive, then your son must be tested. If you are negative, then it's up to him to be tested or not (unless the doc recommends).

2) Hep C is curable - a new drug came out on Friday that has minimal side effects and cure 94-97%. Your timing is perfect.

3) I highly suggest you go to the appt with your husband if he will let you. They will likely tell him a lot. Take pen and paper with you and take notes. Write your questions down before the appt.

Breathe a lot - enjoy every moment of life that you can and try not to let worry steal joy from you.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Dylsmomjacquie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:46:23 pm »
Thank you so much...my husband is so upset...thinks he is going to die and leave us behind...I just got my test back tonight is no reative for a b and c I take that it means negative? The doctor said she is still waiting for the quant test to come back for my husband and is putting in a request for a GI consult.i go to all appointments with my husband...married for 24 years and madley in love...I don't want to lose him.

Offline Dylsmomjacquie

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:50:34 pm »
One more thing my husband says that he heard the meds are 1,000 a pill? Will our insurance cover it?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:57:17 pm »
Congratulations - you are fine. At least you got some good news. Your husband will likely feel that way for awhile, and I don't want to minimize his situation. He has probably been dragging around for awhile, not realizing that he is sick. How lucky to be madly in love.

Your insurance will cover it. Hard to say what meds he'll be prescribed, because they have more tests to do. They have to find out what his genotype is - the genetic make-up of the virus will guide his treatment. Yes, insurance will pay for treatment - just make sure you always pay your insurance bills so there is no lapse.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Dylsmomjacquie

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:10:07 pm »
Thank you so much...we both feel much better...we have been so blessed through this with friends and churc and now this forum...thank you for all you do! We will keep up the hope and give thanks for everyday!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 11:28:04 am »
Johnsshutts - Since you are one of the first to start Harvoni since it was approved, I am moved your post so it is a new topic. I don't want anyone to miss is.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:30:28 am by lporterrn »
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline bepper

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 10:03:14 pm »
Hello,

Just wanted to tell you that your "madly in love" comment made me smile. I've been married almost 37 years and am also "madly in love" with my husband. Sadly, mine has been diagnosed with cirrhosis and liver cancer. We're hoping he'll get a liver transplant and get more happy years.
Luckily, your husband has been tested and diagnosed, now he can get the help he needs. Nothing like a serious health issue to put things into perspective.

Wishing you both all the best.
Thanks for posting!
bepper
Dx: 1985 non a-non b Hep
Dx: over next 20 yrs "your body has cleared the virus on it's own, never worry again"

July 2014 Dx: Hep C GT3
ALANINE AMINOTRANSFE   0 - 33 U/L   72   H
ASPARTATE AMINOTRANS   0 - 32 U/L   88   H
HCV QUANTITATIVE viral load   5678036

Started Sol/Rib Oct 9, 2014
UD @ week 4 of TX
Completed tx 3/20/15

Hubby: Successfully tx in 2005
June 2014 Re-dx GT3
Cirrhosis of liver without mention of alcohol
Hepatocellular carcinoma

Liver transplant 3/2015

New life for both!?

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.