Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 91
Total: 91

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lower A1C after treatment  (Read 10647 times)

Offline virgha828

Lower A1C after treatment
« on: October 25, 2014, 04:56:49 am »
Hi
Just finished 12 weeks sol/riba! Happy to be through it and undetectable as of week three!! I am type two diabetes since about 12 years ago with staggard control. A1C  al ways held steady 8.9 was right before treatment. Just had it done and it dropped a whole point to 7.9!  I even went off one med byetta before treatment because it acts by slowing down digestion to lower blood sugar so in my mind i didn't want the pills hanging around in my stomach and my dr did allow for that so all i took was my metformin same dose. Really no diet change either.  So finally, my question. Can being virus free  lower my blood sugar?? Does hepc make you more susceptible to being diabetic? Just wondering if anyone else had this positive outcome. I'm so happy about this 1 point because getting my number to move even .2  or .3 has been a struggle.

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
Re: Lower A1C after treatment
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:56:46 am »
If you think about it, the liver and pancreas work together, so it stands to reason if the liver is unhealthy the pancreas get affected, and vice versa. Hepc virus can also get into the pancreas, cause vision issues and other items such as trigger autoimune problems. I am no expert, but getting rid of the virus and then your other issues now improving , makes big sense.
Now, it would be my thinking, if you improved your diet, only ate organic, stay away from sugars---you probably stand a chance of ridding the diabetes.
The liver is the main organ of the body. It affects the heart also.
You have a great opportunity now, to improve your standard of life.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:02:10 pm »
Virgha - The data about diabetes and hep C keeps changing. The latest is that the 2 are not associated. I am not convinced. Like Ray said,
If you think about it, the liver and pancreas work together, so it stands to reason if the liver is unhealthy the pancreas get affected, and vice versa.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:19:39 pm »
Hi Virgha,

I'm a diabetic myself and still believe that the Hep-C had something to do with it (I have no family history and I'm not over weight. No risk factors at all). In fact, I was diagnosed with both at the same time.

Regardless, I did have a significant drop in my A1C during and after treatment. I'm a 6.6 and dropping.

Some of this is do to dietary changes and I'm working on getting off the medication.

I also noticed a drop in my blood pressure after treatment and my numbers are great now. I'd like to think this was due to clearing the virus; though I'm not sure (I still have a stressful life. But just maybe since my body isn't fighting the Hep-C virus anymore, my system isn't as stressed).

In any event, I'm sure clearing the virus didn't hurt.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline badbradley

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:14:21 am »
Hi Virgha
      Havn't heard from you for awhile now. Last I heard you were UD at wk 12 end of treatment. Just wanted to mention that my glucose count always bounced up and down slightly. 5/2013-107,5/2014-104, 8/2014-91(fasted) Began meds-1st wk drw-104 2wkdrw-110, 4wk drw-107, 8wk drw-112,end of treatment 12 wk drw-83(non-fast). Obviously I'm not diabetic but it sure appears to me that the virus affects blood sugar. BTW undetected after wk 12.Doing the 3mth wait.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and to all!       Brad
Geno 1a
Sov/Oly 12wks - relapse
Har/Riba 12wks
Alt-16  Ast-17 SVR - 12
Alt-15  Ast-14 SVR - 24

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.