Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:18:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 67
Total: 67

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 30 days in viekira+rib. One beer?  (Read 7267 times)

Offline Bostenkelp

30 days in viekira+rib. One beer?
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:00:42 pm »
Hello all. First time poster.
I just got my blood work done for my first 4 out of 12 weeks of treatment and my hep c came back undetected. I know I am supposed to finish my meds and my doctor made sure I am still drug/alcohol free (which I am), but I am wondering if 1 or 2 beers is going to effect my treatment.. I am on Vieira park and ribavirin. I know it is not recommended but a beer or two would really take the edge of considering this is the longest I have gone without drinking in about 7 years. Any advice would help!

Thanks yall,
Bostenkelp.

Offline steven_myers

Re: 30 days in viekira+rib. One beer?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:44:45 pm »
I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the other members, but I wouldn't risk it. That's just me though.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 07:53:01 pm »
On your question would it  jeopardize your successful treatment probably not but maybe.  However as you had hepatitis C you really shouldn't of been drinking very little to not at all for those past seven years.

Hepatitis C and alcohol work together synergistically to cause a greater amount of damage than either one could do alone.  Do you know the condition of your liver do you have any liver damage?

I was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis nine years ago and haven't had anything to drink since then. Believe me it has not always been easy.

Why would you even consider risking a successful treatment to have a beer or two?  If it is this difficult for you to  abstain from alcohol for only four weeks have you considered discussing this with an alcohol counselor?

If you find it difficult to abstain from drinking alcohol for 12 weeks when your health is in danger it could be possible that you have an alcohol problem. You may need to give up drinking entirely not just because of hepatitis C but because of your possible alcohol addiction.

If your doctor said not to drink you should follow your doctors advice. If you can't abstain from alcohol I suggest you get help to do so.

Best of luck to you  and hoping you have a successful treatment
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:57:26 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Bostenkelp

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:02:33 pm »
Thank you for that.. You are absolutely right.

This has been a hard thing for me to adjust to and I really needed to hear that. I haven't been associating with the right crowd for my condition I suppose..
I appreciate it.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 08:06:42 pm »
 I don't mean to be tough on you but you know what your situation is hep c can be a serious illness and liver disease is no joke. Hang in there it gets better.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.