Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone on Harvoni experienced high blood pressure increase?  (Read 46395 times)

Offline harvonitoo

Anyone on Harvoni experienced high blood pressure increase?
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:43:59 pm »
I have got recently approved by Blue Cross for Harvoni and since I'm on atripla my doc prescribed me high blood pressure meds thinking that Harvoni will make it go even higher once I start it.

She says Harvoni will interact with one of the meds in Atripla...Has anyone experienced a blood pressure increase after being on Harvoni a few days/weeks? My blood pressure is already pretty high at  about 160 over 90-95

Offline harvonitoo

Re: Anyone on Harvoni experienced high blood pressure increase?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »
I forgot to mention that I should be starting Harvoni sometimes next week...

Offline JoeK9999

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:09:02 am »
Yes. I normally have normal blood pressure. under 120/80.
I have been on Harvoni 3 weeks and my blood pressure has is higher
around 150/85
Diagnosed July 1995 - Genotype 1a
Think I have I had since the early 70's
Prior to Harvoni treatment:
VL 3.8 million AST/ALT 40/56
Mild inflammation, no fibrosis
Treatment naive

Started Harvoni 10/23/2014 for 12 weeks
11/20/2014  HCV RNA Qual - Detected
Last Day of Harvoni 01/15/2015
04/08/15 - 12 week post harvoni VL test - Not Detected
07/05/15 - 24 week post harvoni VL test - Not Detected
01/19/16 - 1 Year  post harvoni VL test - Not Detected
AST/ALT 22/22
CURED!!

Offline penny

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:47:39 pm »
What are docs saying about it Joe?

Offline harvonitoo

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:53:32 pm »
Yes. I normally have normal blood pressure. under 120/80.
I have been on Harvoni 3 weeks and my blood pressure has is higher
around 150/85

Thanks for your reply JoeK9999, are you taking Atripla too?
I guess I gotta get ready to be taking high blood pressure meds when I 'll start Harvoni this week then, my doc already prescribed me Lisinopril. As I mentioned previously she says Harvoni interacts with one of the meds contained in Atripla ( I forgot which one), raising blood pressure.

Offline PatEquack

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:57:50 pm »
Yes, I am have been having some seriously high blood pressure. I normally take 5 mg of lysinopril which is really low. But today I have had to take it 4 times and my blood pressure just wont seem to go down.

Offline JoeK9999

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 06:20:19 am »
No I do not take any high blood pressure medicine. Mine has always been close to normal. In the first few weeks of taking Harvoni is was high and then it has dropped down back to a normal range on it's own and stayed that way. I do not know if it was from stress or from the Harvoni.
Treatment naive

AST/ALT 22/22
CURED!!

Offline HBPHarvoni

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 06:52:23 pm »
Yes, increasingly high blood pressure is an issue since I started taking Harvoni.

I took my first Harvoni on 12/25/14 - BP was high; averaging 150/80; now within an hour of taking Harvoni, my BP goes up to 180/90.  Prior to starting Harvoni, I had been taking Bystolic 2.5 daily; but some days I now take up to 12.5 mg. (5 times the regular dosage) without bringing my BP down much. 

Today, I called the Cardiologist & he has put me on Norvasc 5 mg. daily along with the Bystolic 2.5 mg. daily.  Tomorrow will be my first full day with both BP medications.  I work out on a regular basis, & I have a healthy diet.

I am relieved & validated to know I am not the only one encountering Higher Blood Pressure with Harvoni.....any additional suggestions to lower the HBP will be appreciated. 

Good Luck to all of you who are also taking Harvoni.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:13:29 am by HBPHarvoni »

Offline Calico17

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 08:32:01 pm »
Calico17 here:  I started Harvoni December 19th.  The day before I started I felt I was getting sick.  I called my gastroenterologist's office the next morning to see if I should start the meds that evening.  The nurse thought I was just coming down with a 24 hr thing.  The doctor said to start taking Harvoni that evening.  It was more like a 24/7 two week brutal cold.  My blood pressure went up considerably as it always runs on the low side; I thought it was from the cold.  But, then it stayed up after the cold.  However, it now seems to have stabilized somewhat.  I am happy to report I have not had any significant side effects.  I had a couple of headaches but again thought it was because I was so sick with the bad cold.  I go for a check-up on 1/13 with a prescription for blood work to follow.  I am remaining positive and hopeful that this treatment works.  I have to say that I have had more energy than I have had in a while.  I am not on any blood pressure meds at this time.  Sorry for the long post.  I've never been treated before and I was very nervous going in.  I sincerely hope that all persons have the chance for a cure... :)   

Offline Deborah

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 01:19:59 am »
Yes.  My BP borders on too low.  It was fine in week 2 but today (harvoni week 5) it was 147/91.  Freaked me out!  Hoping it will go back down when I stop in 3 more weeks?

Offline Calico17

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 09:58:49 am »
My blood pressure has seemed to go back down to it's normal range.  I am now entering month two of my treatment.  I try to watch my salt intake and caffeine.  Also, when I went to my Gastro doctor last week, my b/p was on the high side, but they did not, seem to have a problem with that.  My top number was 147 bottom 78.  Two to three weeks in it was ranging from 147/90, and I am usually on the lower side.  But, I have been monitoring it since then and it seems to have dropped down from that considerably.  My heart rate was also high.  But, that has stabilized as well.  Hope this helps.   

Offline JoeK9999

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 10:40:22 am »
I finished my 12 weeks 2 days ago. I just took my BP and it was 130/80.
I am guessing it will come down back to normal after this stuff is out of my system.

In the past before Harvoni, I was always equal to or less than 120/80 without BP medicine and am not on it now. On Harvoni it was always equal or over 150/85 and the last 2 weeks of Harvoni it shot up higher and I also had a lot of dizziness.
So for me at least side effects that bothered me started kicking in after about half way  through or 6 weeks. The first 6 weeks were a breeze pretty much. I guess everyone reacts differently.

I am guessing like other new medicines, additional side effects are added to the list after more is reported.
Treatment naive

AST/ALT 22/22
CURED!!

Offline PatEquack

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 10:51:13 pm »
I only have 3 weeks left of my 12 weeks. I have had blood pressure issues all the way through. I have been in the ER with a hypertensive crisis several times which we thought was a sensitivity to tyramine. I am wondering if this medicine is preventing our livers from clearing tyramine properly. Also when they said nausea is a symptom, it is also a symptom of dangerously high blood pressure. So if you have nausea please check your pressure. I'm hoping mine returns to it's formerly low number after I have cleared. It's disconcerting. But worth it. Now I am just hypercautious. Seems like when I avoid aged foods (which are high in tyramine) I fare better. Good luck everyone.

Offline Deborah

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 11:08:25 pm »
I am taking my last pill in 2 hours!  :)   Interestingly, it seems that the side effects have cherished as I get closer to the end.  It feels like my blood pressure has returned back closer to normal this week.  I am feeling less manic energy and my sleep patterns have changed yet again. Unfortunately the dreams (a.k.a. Harvoni hallucinations) continue. 
Next blood draw is next week and I will keep you posted from there.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 05:37:26 pm »
Sorry to hear about the bp problems you all have had on Harvoni. Since most of you posting on this thread are now done with treatment, can you tell me if your bp went back down to your pre-treatment level after you finished Harvoni? I sure hope it did! I may be starting Harvoni soon myself. Would like to know what to expect in that regard. I hope any increase in bp is just temporary during treatment.

Wellness to all,
Kim  :)
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline PatEquack

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 11:31:13 pm »
Yes, my BP post Harvoni is fine.  Good luck!

Offline Deborah

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 02:31:50 pm »
yes everything including BP is back to normal one month post - during treatment 147/90 and now 107/70 - no remaining side effects whatsoever - and best of all still undetectable!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:34:08 pm by Deborah »

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 01:43:37 am »
Glad to hear your BP has gone back down to normal after finishing the Harvoni, Pat & Deborah. :)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Calico17

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 10:11:23 am »
Hello:  Normally low, my pressure did go up during treatment particularly during the first month.  Starting going down during second month of treatment.  My last pill was taken 3/12; pressure back down to normal.  Blood work taken 2/23 Genotype 1a undetected.  Of course, blood work to be followed up post treatment. Take care and be well. 

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 11:37:32 am »
Hello:  Normally low, my pressure did go up during treatment particularly during the first month.  Starting going down during second month of treatment.  My last pill was taken 3/12; pressure back down to normal.  Blood work taken 2/23 Genotype 1a undetected.  Of course, blood work to be followed up post treatment. Take care and be well. 

Thanks Calico. Glad to hear all these reports of people's BP increase on Harvoni being only temporary. And congrats on finishing! :)

Offline texasgal

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 01:11:56 pm »
 :( MY BP Normal is under 120/66, but has been spiking is now 150/82. On Harvoni for 40 days. Was driving & got very dizzy & 1 eye was very cloudy. Stopped car. waited a few minutes, felt better. Called someone to follow me home. Went to primary today & she prescribed BP meds. She said if it continues, go to ER. I have always had very low BP 107/66. It could be the Harvoni.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 01:56:49 pm »
:( MY BP Normal is under 120/66, but has been spiking is now 150/82. On Harvoni for 40 days. Was driving & got very dizzy & 1 eye was very cloudy. Stopped car. waited a few minutes, felt better. Called someone to follow me home. Went to primary today & she prescribed BP meds. She said if it continues, go to ER. I have always had very low BP 107/66. It could be the Harvoni.

So sorry to hear about your high BP on Harvoni, Texasgal. I think I may be starting Harvoni in a couple of months and am dismayed to hear how many people experience what could be a dangerous side. Like you, my normal BP is quite low.

It is strange that Gilead makes no mention of this potentially serious side effect and instead just mentions things like headache and nausea - things which do not pose the same potential risk as elevated BP. I know the drug is new, but still… there seems to be a clear pattern of BP elevation in some people.

I will see what "natural" methods exist to keep BP low when I am on Harvoni. Would rather not get started on BP meds - even if just for 12 weeks. I already consume no added salt in my foods (unless I am eating prepared food, which is very rarely). I don't put any salt in anything I make/eat at home, which comprises about 95% of my eating. I do, however, eat a lot of cheese. And that's salty…

I thinks certain foods may lower BP by relaxing vessel walls… Will research that further. Will stay faithful to my daily walking, tai chi, qigong… What other natural BP-lowering strategies do people here use?

Wellness to all,
Kim :)

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 01:06:55 am »
I have been thinking and reading up on this spike in blood pressure that a number of people seem to be experiencing while on Harvoni. (I hope to start Harvoni in May via a clinical trial I am in line for.)

Here is my theory: Most people here (if you have been reading these forums) are probably also drinking more water than usual during treatment to offset side effects, perhaps much more. I plan to aim for a half-gallon/day minimum. Some people are drinking as much as a gallon/day. Which seems to be a good and beneficial thing for offsetting side effects.

However, an increase in water consumption can result in low potassium (hypokalemia).
http://www.livestrong.com/article/537905-can-drinking-too-much-water-cause-low-potassium/

Potassium is the mineral/electrolyte most rapidly lost (peed away) by excessive water consumption. Potassium is key in controlling blood pressure and offsetting the effects of sodium (salt) on raising blood pressure. Potassium also protects vessel walls from oxidative stress and keeps them from thickening. So it has a BP-lowering effect in two ways. And we are flushing it away by dousing ourselves with high water intake during tx.

Taking potassium pills for this is not a good idea. But I plan to eat foods high in potassium during my treatment, while I am flooding myself with water.

Foods high in potassium include: beans, dark leafy greens, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, yogurt, fish, avocados, mushrooms, bananas, tomato sauce (without added salt or sugar), orange juice, tuna (fresh, frozen or tinned, but avoid tuna packed in brine).

I already eat a pretty much salt-free diet. But for anyone who doesn’t, going salt-free could also help you control high BP.

Wellness to all,
Kim

Offline montemorton

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 10:54:20 am »
I've also noticed a spike in my B/P.  As I already take an anti hypertensive (telmisartan 40 mg. daily), this was especially alarming.  With my cardiologists advise, I've doubled my medication and brought the B/P down to around 130/82 from 150/90.  I think its still too high. 

Thank you PatEquack for your comments on Harvoni possibly interfering with the liver being able to clear tyramine.  Since reading your post, I have been researching foods low in tyramine and modifying my diet in hope of bringing down the B/P.

I spoke with my gastroenterologist, who said he had never heard of a spike in B/P related to the taking of Harvoni; only fatigue and headaches.  It seems as if its up to those of us who take Harvoni to talk with each other about the possible side effects.  I'm truly grateful to have found this web site and appreciate the sharing.

I also found some comments about effects on cognition frightening.  I'm scheduled to take the Harvoni for 24 weeks as I "failed," the first treatment in January 2014.  Really scared to take the Harvoni for 24 weeks with all the possible side effects but have had Hep C for many years and would dearly love to clear it. 

Thank you for all the thoughtful comments and support.  Monte

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 02:20:32 pm »
Here is a very interesting article about the relationship between high-Tyramine foods, high blood pressure, various neurotransmitters, and the liver's function in relation to these things. Gives a comprehensive list of high-Tyramine foods (aged cheeses being a primary culprit):

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/documents/neurology/files/Tyramine%20Menu%20Book%2006227101.pdf

From the article: "More than three fourths of all hypertensive crises and nearly all fatal cases of hypertensive crisis have been due to aged (but not processed) cheeses."

Crazy! I love aged cheeses. May have to cut back on them while on Harvoni tx if I notice my bp going skyward.

Wellness to all of us,
Kim

Offline montemorton

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 04:27:27 pm »
Dear Kim:

Thank you so much.  I downloaded the article you found; which is very helpful.  The mysteries of Harvoni side effects seem to be growing.  Very glad to have found this website.  I'm seeing my regular doctor tomorrow and will check in if she has something to add.  Thanks again.  Monte

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 04:38:15 pm »
Good luck Monte! I hope you can keep your bp under control while on Harvoni.

best,
Kim :)

Offline katmakiah

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 02:38:22 pm »
Are You Taking Harvoni? Beware of Foods Containing Tyramine

Posted yesterday on another site.

When I got the protocol for my Harvoni treatment, one of the items listed was to avoid a certain chemical compound found in certain foods. This substance is tyramine, found in foods such as aged cheeses, sauerkraut, pickled foods, bacon, cured meats, soy sauce and fish sauce. It seems to give negative side effects. The list of tyramine-rich foods was short, so I felt I could easily abstain from them during my treatment. I am not sure if this is also indicated for other Hep C drug treatments, but it would be good to check with your doctor.

When I started my treatment I noticed my blood pressure was rising as well. My pressure which is usually always in the normal range, was now consistently showing moderately high readings on my home meter. I went to my family doctor who told me to keep monitoring my blood pressure.

For some reason I started researching tyramine and discovered that it has a tendency to raise blood pressure. It is also recommended as something to avoid for people with migraines and severe headaches. More research revealed so many other foods that contain it in high doses, were not included on the list my doctor gave me. Among these were dried fruits, avocados, and meats and vegetables that were left in the fridge for more than a day after purchasing. OMG. I eat all of these things! The other day the hospital sent me my lab results which show the virus in non-detectable and my liver enzymes are almost normal. Despite this, I will remain diligent and follow a stricter diet until the end of treatment and 2 weeks after.

Today I go for my one-month check at the university hospital. I will certainly mention this to the doctor. It seems like they need a more comprehensive list of foods with tyramine. The following article may give you some insight:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/documents/neurology/files/Tyramine%20Menu%20Book%2006227101.pdf

My own personal experience. Harvoni raised my low blood pressure to normal levels. My potassium was low in my last labs which can also cause elevations in Blood pressure. Doc said to eat bananas. I like that she didn't just give me a drug. She knows I would rather get at the cause than mask the symptoms.
Genotype 1a
Contracted 1972 or 1979
Diagnosed Halloween 2006
Refused Interferon/Riba and used alternative methods to restore health, took 18 months
2/2011 F4 Advance bridging fibrosis, poss early cirrhosis from biopsy for Trial Study of Chinese Herbs Fuzheng Huayu. Did not qualify.
2/2015-5/2015 12 week Harvoni, clear at 4 and 12 weeks
5/15/15 EOT not detected, ALT 63, AST 40
8/11/15 12 week post HCV RNA by PCR 1.53 million
ALT 160, AST 120

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 02:43:59 pm »
Hi Katmakiah :) I too plan to eat foods high in Potassium and avoid/reduce foods high in Tyramine when I am on Harvoni, to help control bp.

Foods high in potassium include: beans, dark leafy greens, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, yogurt, fish, avocados, mushrooms, bananas, tomato sauce (without added salt or sugar), orange juice, tuna (fresh, frozen or tinned, but avoid tuna packed in brine).

Offline katmakiah

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2015, 05:06:28 pm »
 :D Hi! Thanks for you reply. I eat a nutritarian diet that is high in dark leafy greens. Somewhere I read that beet greens contain the most potassium.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=90&tname=nutrient

I've been keeping myself healthy naturally since I got really sick in 2006 and was diagnosed with Hep C. The treatments then were barbaric. Glad I waited for Harvoni. I'm just starting week 7 of 12, half way through. Feeling good!
Genotype 1a
Contracted 1972 or 1979
Diagnosed Halloween 2006
Refused Interferon/Riba and used alternative methods to restore health, took 18 months
2/2011 F4 Advance bridging fibrosis, poss early cirrhosis from biopsy for Trial Study of Chinese Herbs Fuzheng Huayu. Did not qualify.
ALT 160, AST 120

Offline CHepCFree

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 02:48:10 pm »
I had heart palps and higher blood pressure during treatment.  I am now 8 months post and still have heart issues along with BP of 147/80 while pre Harvoni it was 104/70.   Glad it went away for some but not for me.   The docs have no idea what is going on and what Harvoni has done to cause this. 

Offline katmakiah

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 04:17:56 pm »
I relapsed about 6 weeks after end of treatment. I have a RAV, Y93N, the most resilient and resistant of the variants. I'm feeling a lot of anxiety now, as my life seems to be more difficult with HCV than it was when I was cleared.
Genotype 1a
Contracted 1972 or 1979
Diagnosed Halloween 2006
ALT 160, AST 120

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.