Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 09:34:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 283
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 187
Total: 187

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New to forum - first Harvoni tab today!  (Read 7680 times)

Offline BrightFuture

New to forum - first Harvoni tab today!
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:06:22 pm »
Hi All,

I'm grateful to see all this activity and especially grateful for my insurance company approving Harvoni with its promising cure rate.

As far as I can tell, I've been asymptomatic and likely contacted Hep C 25 years ago. I was tested years ago and came back negative. I'm 56 years old, don't drink, eat well, exercise, slender, moderate recreational drug use years ago, took care of lots of friends in the 80s, when I lived in San Francisco who were HIV +.

The diagnosis came as a huge surprise especially since I was feeling "especially good!" Then, ka-boom. As a follow up to annual routine bloodwork, my doctor ordered additional precautionary liver enzyme tests. I was shocked to learn I was positive! My ultrasound came back normal and my GI doc beamed, "you have a beautiful liver, not even any fat!"

Ten vials of blood later, two week wait for test results and I'm still not clear on much of the details, except I am genotype 1a, no fibrosis, no cirrhosis, a good candidate for Harvoni. It's been a blur. Fortunately, I was extremely busy with my job, had to travel a lot, and generally too tired to fret. I checked in with my doc last week and after hearing his battles with my insurance company, I called and between my call and the amazing pharmacy advocate, the approval was granted within hours of our calls.

This morning, I took my first dose. A little thirsty and appreciate others encouraging lots of water consumption (fortunately I already drink lots of water), and late this afternoon felt my patience and aggitation level rising. I'm interested if this has happened to anyone else.

Thank you, all. I wish us all vibrant good health and look forward to learning and sharing our experiences, successes, questions, and more.

Be well,
Judy

Offline penny

Re: New to forum - first Harvoni tab today!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 11:12:18 pm »
I am not on harvoni but maybe someone else can talk about 'patience and aggravations level side effects.'

Offline gea

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 02:52:43 pm »
Dear Bright Future:
You and I are similar in starting dates.... My first Harvoni was on 11-17.   No liver cirrhosis no liver damage, viral load low,  just high inflammation rate.  1-A

So, this being day five for me, I have not had any headaches, no nausea, and I am drinking, as I always do about 40 ounces of water a day.   

I had to smile when I read your post about agitation....  just last night, in spending time with a friend of mine, I noticed myself feeling very edgy toward them...   It kept bothering me that I had these odd feelings of agitation toward my friend, until I just read your post and wondered !   Now I am actually wondering if it could be connected !   LOL.... hope so, cause I am usually a very congenial friend !   Will have to take note, and let you know !
Diagnosed 06-2013
1-A
Started Harvoni for 12 wks 11-17-14
AST 26  ALT 34

Offline RichardEll

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:46:52 am »
Judy, your future is indeed bright.  I just received my first 28 days supply of Harvoni on Nov. 18,  after a similar experience.    I had to involve myself on the phone also - an impassioned,  2 hour presentation,  explaining all the ways that I qualified for the Harvoni,  according to THEIR OWN criteria/justifications publications.    The call ended abruptly,  with the supervisor confirming my home address for shipment.   This,  after a 10-month battle over Olysio/Sovaldi.  (appeals denied).    I guess they figured I would not give up and go away.   

I'm very, very sick - need a transplant,  no matter the outcome.  22 years known infection,   5 years very ill.    Did the Combo Interferon/ribavirin 48 weeks,  10 years ago - a march through Hell,  and it didn't quite work.

My Drs. are achieving a 100% success rate with Harvoni,  even in late,  stubborn stages of very sick and cirrhotic patients  (my hand shoots up).    So,  I'm confident that even I will get rid of this virus.    Day 8 beginning,  and I no longer have the deep, sickening ache in my liver -  which has been my constant companion for years.    All of a sudden,  it's almost completely gone!!!

You're a shoo-in for success.   Stay on it for 12 weeks, please.   Some may try to tell you 8 is enough -  I would not do that.   Get 12 weeks'  worth,  if you can.   For,  your insurance company will probably NEVER approve a 2nd attempt.   And, they will be viewed as 'justified',  in their refusal.   

Best wishes!!!    I'm sure you'll do fine.   Enjoy life......RL

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:20:57 am »
Welcome Judy and Gea,

It's so great to see  you getting the medication and being able to fight this battle and kill the beast or as they say around here "Slay the Dragon" before you have gotten sick from it.

Richard, welcome to you as well. I am so sorry you aren't well and this beast has been giving you such a tough time. Let's pray the Harvoni cures you and allows your liver and body a little rest before you get your transplant. You are going to be a brand new person after you get through this. Look to the future and know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

~Mel~

~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.