Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:30:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Husband and now me with Hep C  (Read 13355 times)

Offline littlekansas

Husband and now me with Hep C
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:59:23 pm »
My husband was diagnosed in 2010 and we thought it was from his tattoo. The Dr suggested I get tested and I too am positive. What are the odds of that. My Dr said it was from having sex with my husband. But I had a blood transfusion in 84, so what if I actually gave it to him? His Genotype is 1 and mine 1A. His RNA quant is 200,000 but mine is over 3 million...I am freaking out...how am I going to tell my Sons? I have been married over 35 yrs and never thought this would happen...On top of all this, I started getting blisters on the back of my hands which are very painful. Dr says its Porphyria. A symptom of Hep C....My appt with gastro is not until January, so do I have to live with these blisters until then? I am really scared...

Offline penny

Re: Husband and now me with Hep C
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:33:32 pm »
Can you call your gastro and request an earlier date? Maybe they can put you on a list for cancellations.

Offline littlekansas

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 03:13:56 pm »
I just did...I am waiting on a call now..Thank you

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »
If they can't get you in quick enough, you could see a Hepatologist or an Infectious Disease (ID) doctor. I had to call every day to get in mine but I did and got in quickly. Don't take no for an answer and keep pushing. This is not anything to be embarrassed or ashamed of, we have a blood infection; many of us have no definitive way to know where it can from although some do and some others have suspicions. Just because you have HEP C doesn't mean you were an IV drug user and even if you were, I would imagine it was a really really long time ago.

Don't look down on yourself and above all fight to get the treatment you deserve and need! Keep your spirits up and stay positive.

~Mel~
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:12:41 pm by BattleTheBeast »
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline littlekansas

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 04:49:21 pm »
Thank you Mel. I will try that....I forgot to put also that my ALT is 98 and AST is 99. I have a feeling mine is more advanced than my husband's....Thanks for the kind words...

Offline BattleTheBeast

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:30:44 pm »
Hi Little,

Not sure what kind of insurance you have but you can also call them tomorrow and ask for a list of the closest Gastro, Hepa or ID doctors. Call them all, honestly the hardest part is the waiting for the appointment so push yourself to get in as quickly as you can. Once you have a plan, you are going to feel so much better! When you call the offices explain your situation along with your blisters, that's no ok and you shouldn't have to wait for care. You always have the option of going to an ER and they can start treatment on the Porphyria, that's normally a genetic condition but it's possible that the liver disease has kicked it in to high gear, along with your current stress level! Here's some good information about it: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/porphyria/basics/definition/con-20028849
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline littlekansas

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 09:18:58 am »
Thank you so much....I'm working on it...they said I have Porphyria cutanea tarda....I dont understand what one has to do with the other though...do you know anyone who has had these symptoms? My husband never did...

Offline littlekansas

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:22:49 am »
I do not have insurance...when my husband was told he cant work anymore and had to apply for disability, I lost my insurance...he was off work for a year before his benefits kicked in and I could not afford all our bills and insurance, so now they want me to sign up for Obama care for $400 a month...cant afford that either...I am so screwed......

Offline BattleTheBeast

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 10:59:38 am »
What about the local welfare office or state insurance? If you are both disabled and sick perhaps that is a possibility.

Gilead has programs, there are clinical trials, lots of possibilities but you have to do homework.

Porhpyria - please do a search on the forum and I think you will find one or two posts that could be of help. I remember seeing something.

~Mel~
~Mel~

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.