Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:48:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 86
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Genotype 3, Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks  (Read 289735 times)

Offline CE

• Genotype 3. Sovaldi & Ribavirin 24 weeks.
Re: Genotype 3, Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2015, 05:19:09 pm »
Hi Kimharvest. Welcome to the forum. You surely have been through a lot. But, you are in a good place now with people who all experienced what you have. It's really comforting to know you are not alone. It's interesting that you mentioned the tinnitus. I developed very loud tinnitus in Feb. 2013. That is the reason I went to the doctor. I had an MRI to rule out a tumor and had some routine bloodwork. That is when the high liver enzymes were discovered. The tinnitus is still there, but I'm used to it, but view it as a blessing in disguise to get me to the doctor. I also felt feverish and had chills in the first few weeks. Drink plenty of water as it does help with the headaches. I chose not to disclose my illness to my friends, co workers and extended family because I did not want that stigma of being contagious or dirty. I got mine in the 70's from a transfusion with the birth of my first child. Only my immediate family know what's going on. I do hope you are hearing wrong about the S and R not working. I heard it's at least 85%, better than past treatments. They have not been concentrating on geno 3 much. I hope that changes for those who need more treatment. Congrats on the drop in your enzymes! The meds are doing their thing! Continue to do what you physically can, it's ok to rest. The housework can wait! Your health is more important. And no wine! Lol. Water, water and more water. I like mine with a fresh lemon slice. Keep us posted with your progress and express any concern or ask questions. There is always great feedback. Take care!
Best wishes,  Chris
Chris :)
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
Most likely from blood transfusion in 1978
Treatment started November 2014
Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks
End of treatment April 2015
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!
Cured!!!! Praise the Lord!!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2015, 09:47:01 pm »
While Sovaldi plus Ribavirin is not perfect for GT 3 per the clinical trial results you odds are about 85% overall 94% treatment naive and 79% treatment experienced while about 95% for treatment naive without cirrhosis and 92% for treatment naive with cirrhosis

It does work for GT 3. With the new meds formerly GT 1 was the most difficult now GT 3 is but still most GT3 patients do cure.

Conclusions: “Therapy with sofosbuvir–ribavirin for 12 weeks in patients with HCV genotype 2 infection and for 24 weeks in patients with HCV genotype 3 infection resulted in high rates of sustained virologic response.”

http://depts.washington.edu/hepstudy/presentations/uploads/93/valence.pdf

Hang in there and good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline zeena

« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2015, 10:59:59 am »
hey kim
  yes yes and yes.KIM DRINK MORE WATER THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO!!! exercise. and it will be an easier ride.I went to the er because of dehydration in the first few weeks. i was so weak i had to be wheeled in, and i am not weak!had wine at my brothers wedding and felt like my liver would fail. ouch! by the time i started on the meds, i was getting unexplained rashes, and always tired, and paranoid !!I  dont remember when i found out but, i have had it since the early  80 s .I was at millions when i started too. our liver rejuvinates itself, so let the  meds kill the virus, and take care of yourself. i dont know why you think these meds dont cure 3 genotype, it did for me!as the spring brings new life to your farm, see that life also beginning in you!!i am happy now in ways i couldnt be before.btw, my husband and son are hep c free. you are being given a new chance at life with these meds Riba did a number on me, I was still running the show at home while fully medicated and working full time, there were moments when my voice reached decibals i hadnt heard since i was an angry teenager.HOW LUCKY YOU ARE TO BE INVOLVED IN ART. These meds work for geno 3!!  good luck

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2015, 08:04:42 am »
Genotype 3 ,
My name is Lisa, and I am beyond scared to start my tx. .... there, got that out of the way. I am a tentative F4, rated through a Fibroscan imaging test. I have a 950,00 viral load. Also discovered a small cyst on liver. I so appreciate all of your posts and advise. I'm going to be 50 in a month and on last step of Sovaldi/Ribo med approval... so I should start tx soon. I have to work, in medical field, and have chosen to keep my health conditions private.... so knowing ahead of time kind of what to expect is very helpful. I'm worried. Nervous.  I feel side effects from things as simple as immodium for example, I cut all dosages of anything in half, and rarely have had to take even an abx for anything, thus I have myself so worked up mentally over this that I had to share my fears. I have little support.
Wish me luck, and God Bless
LisaMarie
GT 3a
Tx: Sovaldi, Ribavirin 800 mg
Started 24 week tx April 5, 2015
EOT 9/19/15

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2015, 08:09:07 am »
Kimharvest and all,

I have tinnitus too. I'm going to ENT before starting tx. I'm used to it at this point, but it is a concern as Ive noticed it has gotten louder lately and I don't want it getting worse

Thanks. God bless and keep us
lisa
Genotype 3
F4
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline tinybim669

« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2015, 12:01:44 pm »
Hello everyone i'm new on here but i have been reading posts on here for awhile. I just got done doing my first 4 weeks of 1 Sovaldi / 1200 mg Ribavirin a day (24 week treatment for G 3a treatment naive). I know i have only had HCV for 3-4 years. I have just received my 4 week results last night (A little birthday gift for my birthday yesterday).

Pre-Treatment

01/03/14
 Hepatitis C Virus RNA, Quantitative
Result: Detected
3229540 I.U./mL
6.51 log10 I.U./mL

08/06/14
 Hepatitis C Virus RNA, Quantitative

2160612 I.U./mL
6.33 log10 I.U./mL

Sov / Riba Treatment
4 week Results
02/16/15

< 12 I.U./mL
< 1.08 log10 I.U./mL

Range of Quantification: 12 - 100,000,000 IU/mL HCV RNA
Range of Quantification: 1.08 - 8.00 Log10 HCV RNA

I am close to defeating this beast.. ;-) The only issue i have had from the meds are bad heartburn in the morning and get tired a little earlier at night but other than that this is a piece of cake so far.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:11:24 pm by tinybim669 »

Offline CE

« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2015, 12:42:05 pm »
Hello and welcome, LisaMarie and Tinybim! I found this a very supportive good place to be! You will too! First of all, LisaMarie, don't be afraid. I am so much like you in respect to being sensitive to any meds. I never took any OTC cold meds cause I would end up in the ER with palpitations! I am about to finish my 16th week tomorrow. I had very few sides. I also work full time and it has not affected my performance except for an occasional stress related irritability due to the ribavirin. Eat well, rest when you can, drinks lots of water, and stay tuned to the forum. You will do well!
Tinybim, Happy Birthday and congrats on your good results! Keep up the good work and keep us posted with your progress! SVR for all in the near future! Take care and best wishes!  Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Trenz

« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2015, 02:40:00 pm »
And so it begins...UPS dude just delivered Harvoni and Ribavirin. I'll start them this evening. 24 weeks to go. Doing 24 wks because relapsed a couple of months ago from Sovaldi, Riba, and Peg and have decompensated cirrhosis.
I'm geno 1A, diagnosed back in 1990, first treatment was in 2003,  Riba and Peg...stopped after 6 wks because it wasn't working and I wanted to die.
This 3rd time is going to be the charm!!!!

Offline CE

« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2015, 04:49:02 pm »
Trentz, wishing you the "charm"! Best of luck!
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Francis60

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2015, 07:01:28 pm »
Hi,
Just finished 16 weeks riba/sol... 8 more to go. I have started to get cramps and tingling in me feet at night time just after I try and go to sleep, has anyone else had this?
Good luck to everyone out there.
cheers

Offline CE

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2015, 10:37:21 pm »
Hi Franis60. I was thinking about you as I took the last of my 16th week today. Yep, we are down to 8!! I don't have any leg cramps, or any joint pains. I did before I started my treatment tho. I have more itching in the evening and I started having dreams! Good dreams! I can't remember dreaming like that for the longest time. Since dreaming occurs during the REM stage (deep sleep), I assume that means that I am sleeping better than I did for years.
Best wishes to all!
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Trenz

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2015, 10:47:24 pm »
I just realized I posted to the wrong page. I just started Harvoni.  My bad, sorry for any confusion.  I have enough confusion for all of us!

Offline CE

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2015, 11:04:06 pm »
Don't matter Trentz, we all have the same thing! Our meds might be different, but we are all experiencing the same trials and tribulations that go along with this beast. Best of luck to you!
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Trenz

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2015, 11:30:00 pm »
You are so right CE, I hope we all get cured no matter what meds we are on!

Offline Francis60

« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2015, 12:42:54 am »
Hi Chris,

Great to hear from you, I have been having a lot of joint pain and restless sleeping, but am hanging in their. 8 weeks and counting. We are all in this together Trent ! welcome.

cheers

Offline kimharvest

• Fighting to Get Back my Life - GT 3a
    • Vital Wonders
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2015, 04:06:32 pm »
Lisa Marie: Good trick is to say or think, when I take these pills I will feel stronger and stronger. Embrace it as your savior. If you remain afraid and nervous about it you will feel more negative responses. I too am sensitive to drugs and usually go for half but this is a different ball game. Try not to think about it! Keep in touch.
My biggest point is nothing is worse than losing your mind from Hep C. As my mind clears, I feel a lot of sorrow over loss, all the aloneness, all the suffering in silence, all the guilt from feeling bad. I was totally losing the ability to take care of myself and was apathetic too. I lost interest in most everything I cared about. It was a lonely, sad, lost path to nowhere. If taking these meds will give you a new life of vibrancy and energy, you can only try. I am taking my one month blood test and am excited to see the viral count. It will be a week before my nurse practitioner appointment. I don't think I will ever meet this doctor. Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement! Good Health!
kimharvest
"Eat healthy food and drink pure water for a healthy life."
GT 3a  15,000,000 VL.
Started Sovaldi/Ribavirin 1/26/15 for 24 weeks.
Doctor Office Dropped me on 5/8/15 at 14 weeks;
Finished 4 months total, two months short.
I do not recommend Grand Junction Gastro!
Not Detected at 3, 6 & 12 months.

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2015, 05:22:04 pm »
Kimharvest, 
Thank you, a thousand times thank you! I wish I were the strong one helping someone, courageous and encouraging, but sadly I'm not. Not when it comes to medicine,  or changes in my mind and body. I will do as you suggest and get positive, looking at how much clearer my mind will be, and how bright my future will be. 6 months is a small price to pay, I know. Fear grips me. I have some pain meds and xanax if needed. I won't take the Zoloft, scared of that too. But doc gave me the other for pain and anxiety. I take half at night, lol. Half of the lowest dose. Ugh. I better get with it, meds coming in tomorrow! Do you feel better?
Thanks again!
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline amh

« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2015, 07:31:09 pm »
Hi everyone,
I finally started my treatment.  Just completed week 1 of 24 weeks of solvadi/ribavirin.  So far so good.  I know the side effects are cumulative so I am prepared (I hope) for some rough roads ahead, but I am taking this journey one day at a time so I am not going to worry about that.  Anyway, I am working full time and managing with at the moment minimal side effects.  Just happy I am one week closer to my goal.  Next week I have my first DR appointment since I started treatment. 
I enjoy reading everyone's posts, I will say I was one of those who was petrified to begin the meds.  I had my pills in my possession for over a month before I finally had the nerve to take that first set of pills.  But so far I'm ok.  This can be done.   

Offline CE

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2015, 07:49:07 pm »
Hi Amh, so glad you decided to start your journey! You'll see, as you finish each week, you are closer to your goal and it drives you to keep going strong! And once you get those wonderful words "undetected", you REALLY become determined to defeat the dragon! I am half way through my 17th week. So far things are going well. Everyone will have different affects, but the prize is the same. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress so we can cheer you on! Best wishes!
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline zeena

« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2015, 07:52:38 pm »
i was genotype 3 since early 80s. found out early 2000.s through exercise and diet ,there were moments i had a 0 viral load, then,  it came back, went up to millions. had rashes, itches, and always felt tired.i was treatment naive until i started riba and sov.if i  can do it, anyone can. just exercise, drink loads of water, rest, accept what comes . it goes away.keep your body and muscles in motion, if you can sweat, i think thats good too. get oxygen in your blood and water to wash away the dead virus.girls, this virus is gone from my body.i also had  the pills for weeks before i had the mental strength to start.i was svr 12 weeks ago, and no rashes, new energy, and a new addiction to zumba.. . go girls,!!2015 is your year!!

Offline CE

« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2015, 08:06:13 pm »
Zeena, you are a true inspiration! So happy for you! I look forward to the renewal of energy and health. I slowly became depressed, lost interest in things I loved to do, had weird randon rashes, hives, anxiety, panic attacks, hair loss, etc, never knowing that I had HCV. The puzzle pieces fit!  I pray that I see the SVR12 in July. Congrats to you Zeena on your new life! Take care!
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline amh

« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2015, 08:52:40 pm »
Zeena & CE thanks so much for your words of encouragement.
 CE, every symptom you describe I have experienced.  Depression, lethargy, weird rashes on my feet.  My joints ached, especially my big toe, like I had gout.  Plus I always felt a bit separated from the world, like I carried around a huge secret and burden.  And it's still a secret, no one at work and very few people in my personal life have any idea that I am HepC+ and am undergoing treatment.
That is just on of the reasons I really love this forum, it is very reassuring to be around others who are going through the same thing your are.  Good luck to all of us!   :)

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2015, 09:29:36 pm »
Yes, thanks to all of you! I haven't started yet, and meds due to be delivered tomorrow, I may wait until mid March to start as I have a lot going on at work, but those on this Forum are my inspiration. I'm not telling anyone  at work either.
I am finally kind of looking forward to starting because it will be the step toward freedom from this dragon. It is y'all words of truth that are helping me overcome my fears. I haven't been myself in a year, now I see it's probably the virus causing the changes. I am committed to being committed to myself for once. To exercise,  rest without guilt, work, and to be positive. 
Good Luck, God bless us all
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline debbie9947

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:56 am »
I am starting the same treatment, waiting for it to come today via ups. It took awhile for insurance to approve and then get the co pay assist for the rest. My son found this forum and i am so thankful that you are all here. I am amazed at all the posts that talk about the having anxiety, feeling separated from the world, rashes,, that has been me... I never thought it could be connected with the Hep C. I had to start taking meds for anxiety and depression about 4 years ago, I didn't know what hit me. I was having panic attacks, but thought i was having a stroke and ended up at the ER many nights. I was clueless.
  I am grateful for this forum. I know I will need help through this and I want to be here for others also.  I have been getting things in order around the house before treatment started & took time off from work, I have been kind of dreading this day. Hopefully it wont be so bad. I haven't told anyone about the hep c or treatment starting accept my adult children. I wish i didn't feel shame and embarrassment about this.   Thank you all for being here.

Offline CE

« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2015, 12:46:18 pm »
Hi Debbie and a great big welcome to you. I, like you, was amazed by this forum. It's a place where you can talk about your HCV symptoms and concerns, and actually have people who understand first hand what you are feeling. Only my immediate family know about my condition. We really have nothing to be ashamed of, but the general public really don't understand this enough to have compassion. I am about through my 17th week. I only experienced minor thing. In the beginning I did have a low grade fever and chills a few times. My biggest issue is the anemia from the riba and dry itchy skin. As for the anxiety and panic attacks, I started getting them back in 1981, 3 years after a blood transfusion! Who knew!! I was only diagnosed last year after my liver enzymes became elevated. Came as a real shock to me. However, I was fortunate to get on treatment and hope it is the only treatment I will need. I understand treatments have come a long way in the past few years with great outcomes. Good luck and God bless. Yes, I pray we all achieve SVR!
Best wishes, Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline debbie9947

« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2015, 10:35:46 pm »
Thank you for your welcoming me.

Yahoo,, Your 17th week is about done. I am happy to hear that the side effects have been minimal for you. I started the treatment yesterday and hope all goes well..

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2015, 06:33:06 am »
Debbie and 17th week, I am reading your posts with interest and compassion. I got my Sovaldi and ribavirin yesterday.  I have not started. I knew I was waiting until either this weekend to start, or mid march, but now I have some slight cold and sinus symptoms coming on, so I know I won't start with any chance of weakening immune system. Good Luck to you Debbie on starting, I too am getting my house in order,  but have not taken off work. Please let us know how your first week goes. Also, does anyone take supplements? Are they helpful? Needed? I am thinking about taking calcium and  Vitamin D for bones and teeth. Also for pre menopause I take a natural herbal supplement daily, wonder if that would still be as effective?  I plan on calling the pharmacist, but thought I'd ask those of you guys and gals on treatment what your thoughts were. Also, if sleeping is a problem,  why wouldn't we be prescribed a sleep aid? Anxiety an anxiety med? Meaning is it not wise to consider taking those types of things and why.
Sorry to be a pill. I really need to succeed at this tx.
God Bless you and good luck Debbie and all!
LisaMarie
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline CE

« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2015, 12:07:56 pm »
Hi LisaMarie, and welcome to you too! Hope you get over your sniffles soon and get on you battle of the beast! I, too, used to take supplements before treatment and my doctor said not to as they are hard on the liver. The coatings are what is not good. I don't take anything. I try to get my vitamins and good stuff from eating the right foods. As for any other problems, I would wait to see if they even will materialize first, and if they do, discuss it with your doctor and let him prescribe something if needed. Drink lots and lots of water! The best you can do for yourself on treatment. Helps to keep headaches at bay and keep you hydrated.
I wish you the best of luck as you go on your journey to SVR! God bless.
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline debbie9947

« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2015, 12:58:28 am »
Hi Lisa Marie,

I do not take any vitamins or supplements, I eat a variety of foods and hope I am getting what I need through the food. I also do not want to give me liver any more work. I need it to focus on ridding the virus.

I was on sleeping pills before starting this treatment,and only take when needed. I am sure if you develop ay trouble, your Doc should give you what you need.
I wish you luck,, Keep us posted :)

Offline CE

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:29 pm »
Hi all, hope you are doing great. I am just giving a brief update on my progress. I am halfway through week 18 of 24. I do feel different than when before I started. First the bad stuff: I still am anemic. My HGB is now 10.8, up .5 from my week 12 labs. I have some moderate itchiness mostly in the evening and mostly on my back. My skin is kind of dry, but I have been using a mix of vitamin E and baby lotion. Awesome!! I still have dark undereyes. The good news: virus is still undetected, liver functions are absolute normal. My mind is clearer, I feel like I have a bit more energy. One big, but strange thing I noticed is my lack of joint pain, and thickening of my thin hair! I always had joint pain before treatment. I have none, nadda! I have no headaches either. I only took a total of 2 Tylenol at 2 different times for a headache at the beginning of treatment. That's it! Maybe it's the large amount of water that I consume. As for my hair, before treatment, my hair was falling out over the years, and was so thinned out you could see my scalp on top and I had a receding hairline. My eyebrows almost did not exist! Now, my baldness filled in, I have fresh new growth at my temples! And my eyebrows are filling in. Did anyone else experience this? The doctor thinks my hair thinning had to do with the virus. You all can't imagine how ecstatic I am about this. I do look forward to getting my face color back again too. I look rather sallow. But I look more forward to achieving SVR after treatment! Well, that's it! I pray that we all get cured! Take care and God bless!
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Francis60

« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2015, 04:03:45 am »
Hi Chris,
Good to hear from you fellow dragon slayer. Also on week 18, great to hear about your hair;) I thought we were suppose to loose it! I think mine has got more grey over the last weeks but none has fallen out.
I have a bad shoulder and it has got worse over the last few weeks, amazing your aches are getting better. I drink a lot of water but very little at night time due to it keeping me awake . When do you take your Solvaldi pill? Do you drink much water at night time ?
I also have black under my eyes and look very pale....but nearly their!!
Keep in touch
cheers
Liam

Offline Billy

« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2015, 06:51:51 pm »
So today they decided to bring the RBV back up to the full amount of 6 caps. They say my body has had time to adjust to the treatment and they aren't expecting the anemia to return. Hope it doesn't interfere with my sleep I've been sleeping soundly on 5 a day.

Offline CE

« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2015, 07:19:38 pm »
Hi Liam! Slaying dragons is hard work! Lol! Hopefully your shoulder will get better soon. You must be swinging that sword too hard! Seriously tho, I do hope you feel better soon. I do drink water in the evening, but only Sunday thru Thursday since I get up for work at 4:15. I like to sleep till 6 on the weekends. I take my Sovaldi in the morning with 3 ribas. I am getting weary of gulping pills! I never took meds on a regular basis except for when I would have to take some antibiotics. I am looking forward to April! My doc made my EOT appointment for May 1. I pray everyday for us to achieve SVR. Take care fellow slayer! Best wishes, Chris

Hi Billy! Happy to hear your anemia is under control and you are sleeping better. Like I said, slaying dragons is hard work! Best wishes. Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline kimharvest

• Fighting to Get Back my Life - GT 3a
    • Vital Wonders
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2015, 10:24:01 pm »
One month viral load test came in undetected! 10,000,000 to none! People with 3a hold the hope! Sovaldi & Ribavirin can help us.

Warning: my nurse practitioner told me I was lucky I got in January; I hit a lucky bubble, they have now tightened up acceptances and are asking for more rigorous testing now.

I can't imagine refusing anyone this cure. I needed treatment 5 years ago. I know I could not have gone on 6 more months. I woke up in a strange house every day and was getting lost in my town of 30 years. They say the viral count isn't important but it slowed my brain to a stop. That and the exhaustion. I weep at times about the loss of the many years going into failure now that I can remember again. Hoping my mind gets even sharper after I am done with the meds. It is a whole new life for me. Good luck everyone! 4 1/2 more months to make sure it stays away! Can do!
kimharvest
"Eat healthy food and drink pure water for a healthy life."
GT 3a  15,000,000 VL.
Started Sovaldi/Ribavirin 1/26/15 for 24 weeks.
Doctor Office Dropped me on 5/8/15 at 14 weeks;
Finished 4 months total, two months short.
I do not recommend Grand Junction Gastro!
Not Detected at 3, 6 & 12 months.

Offline zeena

« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2015, 11:10:40 pm »
congratulations kim   it just keeps getting better!   svr 12 geno 3a

Offline Billy

« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2015, 06:03:17 pm »
Congrats Kim, mine is now undetectable at 10 weeks also.

Offline Danster

« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2015, 09:48:07 am »
Hello all…  I am geno 3a and was helped through support path for my Sovaldi. My girlfriend found a coupon online for Ribaviron (see one of my earlier post for info on that) which dramatically reduced the cost. I started my treatment Sunday. It is day 3 and the journey has began. I have not had any side effects at all. When I started my VL was 9+ Mil. I have no doubt that by the time I complete 24 weeks I will be cured. Up through Saturday when I finally got my fedex with the Sovaldi, I had been in such a mental knot…so much anxiety as I inched my way through the maze of my insurance company's denial for treatment, then the yellow brick road appeared which lead to support path. I am in sales… the stress has affected my work. Since Sunday I have felt a new freedom and since of renewed hope. I am grateful. I can already tell my body is healing. I felt it important that I share the hope.
Genotype 3a
Sovaldi/Ribaviron 24 wks
Started Treatment 3/8/15

If you think you can or if you think you can't — You're right!   ~Henry Ford~

Offline amh

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2015, 08:48:41 pm »
Hello fellow dragon slayers.
I have almost completed a whole month of treatment, just 5 more months to go.  So far, so good.  Yes, I do get tired really tired at times. Yes, I do wake up with a bit of a headache but it goes away within a couple of hours. Yes, I am having difficulty sleeping.  My Dr. did prescribe Ambien but I take it sparingly.  But I am still working my normal crazy schedule, haven't missed a day yet.   To sum it up,  I am tolerating my treatment of 1,000 mg of Ribo and 400mg of Solvadi really well.  No complaints, especially if I achieve my goal of being HCV free.

To everyone out there afraid to take that first pill, just do it!  I was so scared to take that first step because I was afraid I would be really sick and unable to work, but I am doing it.  So can you.  Just follow everyone's advice, eat well, drink lots of water, rest when you need to and drink lots of water!   
To everyone who are currently in the middle of their treatment, especially CE, who started this thread, thank you, reading your posts are inspirational and encouraging. 
I just had blood work yesterday, so am keeping my fingers crossed I get some good results.   

Offline CE

« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2015, 09:44:42 pm »
Congrats, amh on your first month of slaying! You seem to be right on track. You will def get some good news on your lab report. Tomorrow starts my 20th week. When
I look back to the beginning of treatment, I had visions of horror, but it really went quite well. Of course there are some rough spots, but nothing like what I heard it used to be like years ago. Right now all my labs are excellent except for my HGB, but it has stayed above 10.3. My undereyes are quite dark, but yay for concealer!! Right now not only am I doing well at my job, but I am almost finished with painting my home and fixing things up. Despite the low HGB, my energy has increased! And my hair got healtier! Maybe that is from all the water and extra conditioning. Having this dragon has definitely forced me to change my lifestyle for the better. I also want to thank all my fellow slayers for your incredible friendship and comforting words. You are all wonderful! I pray each day for all of us to be finally cured.
Hugs to all! Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Francis60

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2015, 06:13:00 pm »
Hi,
Just checking in, welcome amh, you will be undetected and good to hear you are managing ok. Yes the tiredness seems to be a recurring theme,I drink a lot of water and I am sure it has minimised the side effect.]
CE...great to hear from you, I start week 20 this friday;) Can so relate to the rings under the eyes, I seem to wear sunglasses every time I go out. I started doing Pilates and it is really helping with the joint pain. We are nearly their my friend,to all those who are starting the journey just like to say that it has been no where as bad as my head was telling me it would be.Its all manageable;)
Thankyou all for your support..."keep your eye on the prize"

Offline Billy

« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2015, 11:12:24 am »
Its week 12 and everything has been going very well other than some irritability and occasional insomnia. I was pretty used to that already due to the condition of my liver, but now something else has popped up. I've developed very itchy rash that is sometimes associated with Ribavirin. Some are legions and some areas are bulls eye circles and its driving me up a wall. I'm afraid to mention this side effect to the VA because they might terminate the treatment so tomorrow I'll just ask to go back to 5 RBVs a day rather than the full 6....I'll just tell them that 6 is causing irritability and insomnia. I will tolerate this and just keep it secret rather than risking termination of the treatment.

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2015, 01:44:48 pm »
Billy,
I'm sorry you are having the rash. It's interesting because I haven't started tx, but have some bullseye red spots.... wondered what they were. Also, why would VA take you off tx? I would hope not.
And, to all, my start date is April 3. I think I'm ready...... I'm terrified though still. Sigh. Praying for you all, wishing the best. We will slay this dragon.
Warmly and Appreciatively :)
LisaMarie
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2015, 01:55:12 pm »
Riba rash is a well known side effect which can be treated by dose reduction also helpful is OTC hydrocortisone cream   

Here is some info from the VA web site

http://www.hepatitis.va.gov/HEPATITIS/mobile/index.asp?page=/provider/reviews/treatment-side-effects&#S6X

Skin Rash

20-25% of patients develop a skin rash, which is generally due to ribavirin. It is a fine, red, petechial or reticular rash, and tends to be seen over the arms and trunk, although it may be present diffusely. It tends to improve and recur spontaneously during treatment.

Management

Topical therapies, starting with moisturizing lotions and then low-dose steroid creams (eg, 1% hydrocortisone or triamcinolone), are often very helpful in improving the rash and its associated pruritus.
Oral medications such as diphenhydramine may be helpful if topical therapies do not relieve symptoms.
In severe cases, dosage reduction or even discontinuation of ribavirin tends to be helpful, with reintroduction as symptoms improve.

Ps the little red spots are called petechia they can be a symptom of liver disease and also some people just have them. I have hundreds of them on my arms, chest, stomach, and back
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 02:01:35 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline tinybim669

« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2015, 01:59:47 pm »
The Ribavirin gives me dry skin but never developed into a rash. I started using baby lotion ever couple days after my shower and I haven't had any problems since I started using the baby lotion

Offline Billy

« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2015, 05:09:47 pm »
I'm not sure if they would stop the treatment over this or not...I'm just worried that they might. They are a Govt agency and they march to a different drum than private doctors.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2015, 05:33:59 pm »
One would hope they would want to help make your treatment more tolerable by telling you about the hydrocortisone cream or the benadryle or maybe prescribing something or last resort reducing the riba.

That would be very unfortunate to be afraid to tell your doctors what they really do need to know so they can treat you properly. Riba rash is not a uncommon side effect so they really should not be concerned unless you want to quit because you cannot tolerate the sides.

Hope you try the cream or Benadryl and it works out for you

Good luck on treatment
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Billy

« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2015, 08:57:03 pm »
I read that Almond oil is good for those dry patches.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2015, 09:13:08 pm »
How is almond oil for very itchy rash?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:15:07 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Billy

« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2015, 10:09:43 pm »
Too soften the rough scales that form.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2015, 10:23:27 pm »
But does it help with the itchiness? Dry skin is one thing but a hives like rash that Ribavirin sometimes can cause can be very, very itchy.

But I guess as long as you feel better you can always escalate treatment as needed
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:26:46 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Billy

« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2015, 09:06:48 pm »
I contacted the VA monday and told them about this rash and they said they won't terminate the treatment unless it gets worse, like boils or something. They reduced the RBV down to 1000 but they are concerned about the rash and want me to try and make it in before my my apt next Wed. I honestly don't know for sure if RBV is causing this - it could be some type of fungus like ringworm for all I know.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2015, 10:50:25 pm »
About 25% of people treating with Riba develop the rash so it is a reasonable possibility it very well could be the riba glad you decided to be honest with your doctors and that they are trying to help.

I all of a sudden last week got a rash on the backs of both my hands and forearms I also never get rashes or skin problems so it kinda freaked me out.

Fortunately it did not itch and did settle down and go away after I used some hydrocortisone 1% cream I had in the house.

The rash can actually have serious adverse reactions for some but very few so I am sure you will be fine. Just maybe itchie for a while but I hope it clears up for you.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Billy

« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2015, 11:05:51 pm »
ok thanks.

When I find out exactly the cause I will post it. It may or may not be RBV related and I didn't mean to worry anyone about their treatment.

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2015, 06:23:49 am »
No, I think we were more concerned about you and your rash issues, as well as the possibility the VA could stop tx. Glad you told them, and i suspect it's caused from tx, and the Dr's need to be aware of it, but I understand your concern and your need to be cautious in what you tell them. But, since this is a common side effect they need to know about it and help you with it so it DOESNT get infected like they said.
Keep us up to date please. Try not to worry! I'm doing enough worrying for all of us! ??? ???
LisaMarie
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline CE

« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2015, 05:28:12 pm »
Just checking in..... Tomorrow starts week 22! Only 3 weeks to go! I want so terribly to be done with this battle. My sword is getting dull! Other than my dry skin and tiredness, I think I'm doing ok. My HGB is still quite low as it has been thru the whole treatment. I really notice it when going up stairs. My mind is quite clear though! And my past interests are reviving! I just hope the prize stays within my reach. Prayers for all for SVR.  Best wishes --Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2015, 10:40:40 pm »
Chris,

Happy to hear you're almost through with tx!! I'm VERY hopeful when I hear you say you are getting a clear mind and past interests coming back. That is my hope and prayer for sure. I start friday the 3rd of April. Rain or shine, work in order or not, I have set my date. I have 2 months worth of meds staring at me, I put tx off for 3 family birthdays in March, one being my 50th on Thursday... also put off to get work in order, but I see it's just not realistic, so off I go, with an anxious but hopeful heart. I'm depressed, scared, mad. Hard to live with, hard to work with I'm sure. On the 3rd I will wake up, eat breakfast at home, which I never, ever do during the work week and take my first 3 pills. Then go to work, then head to hospital for my MRI, (my first ever, lol) to check my septated complicated liver cyst... praying it hasn't grown. Thanks for listening.
LisaMarie
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2015, 10:56:09 pm »
That's great Chris! You're almost there. Wonderful to hear about clear mind. I would welcome that too!
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline CE

« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2015, 02:39:01 pm »
Thanks LisaMarie and Kim. When I first started treatment, I had the same fears that you did. I also was depressed, scared, and really mad that I was invaded with this virus. But stay strong, keep it in the back of your mind that you will win. I have not had a bout with depression or anxiety for months now! I really feel different. Drink lots of water. It really does help with headaches and keeping you hydrated. Best of all, if you do get any issues,you always have the wonderful people on this forum to answer your questions and give you unconditional support. Good luck to both of you.
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Danster

« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »
Has anyone experienced sore gums and sores on the tongue from Sovaldi/Riba 24 wk regimen? I also have little "hotspots" on my body that are dry and itch badly behind my knee, ankle & waistline area. Can anyone suggest something for these symptoms?   
Genotype 3a
Sovaldi/Ribaviron 24 wks
Started Treatment 3/8/15

Offline Billy

« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2015, 07:30:21 pm »
Just returned from the VA and showed them the rash. They said it could even possibly be the sofos rather than the RBV. Either way I made it clear I'm not going to stop treatment now that I'm half way home over some itchy little rash. They didn't offer anything for the condition other than reducing the RBV to 600 temporarily, and recommended over-the-counter hydrocortisone and Sarna Lotion (which I already had). Sarna works pretty good...the camphor in it has a cooling effect that helps a lot. Heat aggravates the itch in my case and I found that getting up at night and rubbing a frozen water bottle over the rash works better than anything if things get too intense.... and coconut oil helps soften the roughness.

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2015, 07:35:04 am »
Tomorrow I meet Sovaldi and Riba. I'm hoping I've just made this out to be worse than it actually is! I've mentally prepared for it all except work environment. Is it so wrong to work in a small office and not want to coworkers to know you're sick?? I work in medical field.
I have been going through stress at work. Huge work load. Worry, even got weepy for a couple days. My GI Nurse told me I should have been taking my Zoloft....... I started it then flushed it down the toilet so I wouldn't be tempted to take another. I was up all night, probably 10 times with diarrhea. I would rather suffer side effects from treating my HCV than from treating something that may not need to be treated. Or, I can treat other ways, exercise, music, etc. I have low dose xanax to take if I felt I needed it. So, my question is based on information from nurse, do any of you feel depression or extreme anger/ mood swings? I haven't seen any comments in here about this issue other than some irritability. I don't have depression and don't feel I should take antidepressants,  although I have NOT been myself for a few months now, my symptoms don't fit the criteria for depression. Opinions?
I AM concerned about work performance,  energy levels, etc, but don't need to add worries about mental health issues.
Thank you all for your support. Wish me luck. I've prayed for all of you many times.
LisaMarie
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2015, 07:39:59 am »
Billy, so glad you went to VA and told them! I start tx tomorrow,  Friday the 3rd of April and based on what I read from y'all about rashes and skin itching I got myself some Melaleuca oil, lotion, hydrocortisone cream mix. I order melaleuca products monthly, it's an amazing oil so I will let you all know if it works! Hopefully I won't need it......
LisaMarie
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline Billy

« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2015, 02:16:58 pm »
Lisa, this treatment works very well in spite of a few uncomfortable side effects. I noticed an improvement right away and after 10 weeks you will begin to feel like the person you once knew. Everything gets better - your mood elevates, your outlook improves, your energy level heightens.... Its well worth any inconveniences you may encounter.

Offline CE

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2015, 05:55:44 pm »
LisaMarie, first of all I want to wish you the best of luck as you start your battle. As for the depression, anxiety, panic attacks and mood swings. I suffered with these for 30 years not realizing it was a symptom of HepC, which I didn't even know I had. Since starting treatment, I have had a few days of being irritable, but as of late, I have nothing! I feel completely relaxed, I am once again enjoying doing things that I had loved, but lost interest in over the years. My mind is clearer. I still am tired, only because my hemoglobin is so low from the riba. I had some mild itching and dry skin, but no rashes. Everyone will react to treatment differently, but to rid your body of this dragon is worth it! Good luck to you too, Billy as you are half way there! I got 2 more weeks. It was a long winter! Lol. I pray for all of us to achieve SVR! Best wishes.  --Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2015, 06:14:31 am »
Thanks so much for replies. They were of great help/ hope for me! I've decided to hold off starting until Sat just in case I have 1st day side effects that will interfere with work. (When I planned my start date I didn't know we'd have patients today and short staffed.)  but, after reading your replies, I think I can work and now I'm even looking forward to starting. Didn't feel that glimmer if hope, just dread and duty. Thanks again, so much.
Lisa
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline Greatful

« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »
Hello everyone, I just received my Solvaldi today (already had Ribovarin) and plan to start my treatment tomorrow. I've had this beast for 35 years and am so ready to beat this. I went through treatment in 1999 (interferon and ribovarin) only to relapse. The side effects from the treatment were so bad that I said I would never use interferon again.

Fast forward 15 years and we have Solvaldi. I have Express Scripts as prescription insurance, and got caught in the December/January we are not covering Solvaldi anymore debacle. Thankfully my doctor and the third party pharmacy that tried to get my insurance to cover the cost, also helps when they don't. They applied to Giliad and Merck programs and were able to get me both meds for free!! That's why I'm calling myself Greatful on this forum, because that is how I feel.

I'm so glad they have these forums now for people in treatment to share their stories. This opportunity means so much to me as it does to everyone on here. I look forward to sharing my experiences and cheering other on.
Grace
Genotype 3
Tx: Sovaldi, Ribavirin
Started 24 week tx April 7, 2015

Offline CE

« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2015, 05:23:44 pm »
Welcome Greatful! That's a fantastic name! We all can relate to it as we are all on that same boat. I started this string 22 weeks ago when I first started treatment. In that time, I found friends, answers, and the best support. I wish you all the best as you begin your battle. You will succeed this time! Blessings to you.  --Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Greatful

« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2015, 05:33:06 pm »
Thanks CE, your posts have been inspiring to me. I am working through treatment as you have. Last time the side effects were so bad, I had to quit my job, this time that is not an option. I feel confident I can soldier through this time, and reading your posts and those of the others in treatment here bolstered that feeling.
Grace
Genotype 3

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2015, 10:47:37 pm »
I started tx Easter Sunday. It was time. So far so good. But every piece of advise and encouraging words I carry with me every day. I have only had headaches, some queasy stomach. Water is the key.
Good Luck and welcome greatful.
Liss
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline Billy

« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2015, 11:20:10 pm »
You are right about water. It sounded too easy to be true but it really does help.

Offline Danster

« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2015, 10:44:29 am »
I have been reading through some of the post from all of you. I got lab results back from my 4 week check point. I am on Sovaldi/Ribaviron for 24 weeks with Genotype 3a. I was hoping I would be undetectable, but I went from +9 Mil VL down to less than 15. I am so suturated with all these drugs and my body definitley notices it in a big way. Some days are good, other days I lose energy at around 3:00 and my day is done. One member suggested SARNA lotion for the itching and slight rash. This is a wonder lotion. (at least it seriously helps me) It is steroid-free with 0.5% Camphor & 0.5% Menthol. I strongly suggest anyone having problems with itching give this a try.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if my test results are on-track?  I've heard of some people that are UD after 4 weeks.  <15 is impressive and is a huge boost to my moral… I HAVE to beat this beast!!!
Genotype 3a
Sovaldi/Ribaviron 24 wks
Started Treatment 3/8/15

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2015, 11:12:55 am »
Danster,

Sounds like meds are doing what they are supposed to do! Killing the virus. Without tx virus is replicating, with numbers getting higher! Your numbers getting lower! Virus losing ground in your body! Meds are winning the battle!
I am on day 6....... it sucks, I hate it, I am still working on my attitude. On a positive  note I am doing very well, water solving most of my side effects. First labs showing the effects of meds on RBCs, etc, my Basophils are high, and oddly rbcs, hgbs, are all abnormal high, not low..... but I have a question  for you, do you have cirrhosis? I just wonder if that makes it tougher on body, feeling side effects more.
Oh, and i use Melaleuca oil compound with cortisone. It works too.
Did you feel side effects right away?
Thank you for your input. I just said a prayer for you. That you will be free from virus on next check up!
LisaMarie
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline CE

« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2015, 11:48:08 pm »
Hi Danster,
You're lab results are terrific! At 4 weeks, I still had a viral load of 63. I went UD somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks. And my viral load was only 950,000 to start. So I think you are well on your way to UD and beating this beast! I have started my 24th week. My side effects have been mild except for my hemoglobin being very low the whole time. I have really felt it the last few weeks with fatigue and getting winded with stairs. So glad to be done next week. Best of luck to you and Lisa. Stay strong and keep your eye on the prize! You will be rid of the beast for good!
Best wishes -- Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2015, 09:44:17 am »
Chris, week 24!! You are entitled to a do a happy dance right now! (I can't wait to be on the last week.) I have one down, and yesterday was stuck out of town with no meds. I made it home around 11 pm, took ribavirin,  but felt off schedule, wondered if I would have a long night, but all was fine. The ribavirin  gives me headaches. Water cures them, along with a 200 MG ibuprofen once in awhile. Best advice ever is water and support system.
If you can, could you give us an update after you're done with week 24?
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2015, 09:45:00 am »
Chris, week 24!! You are entitled to a do a happy dance right now! (I can't wait to be on the last week.) I have one down, and yesterday was stuck out of town with no meds. I made it home around 11 pm, took ribavirin,  but felt off schedule, wondered if I would have a long night, but all was fine. The ribavirin  gives me headaches. Water cures them, along with a 200 MG ibuprofen once in awhile. Best advice ever is water and support system.
If you can, could you give us an update after you're done with week 24?
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline CE

« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2015, 10:50:38 am »
LisaMarie, I always carried a one day supply of pills with me for whenever I could not be home to take them. I always take my pills at 6 am and 6 pm. Worked very well for me, never missed a dose. You never know when you may be delayed on the road or for whatever reason, but you will have your pills. My "on the road" back up will be the last dose I take. AMEN!! I AM so ecstatic about it, but the waiting game will probably be nerve racking! I will update with the news. Praying for SVR. Take care. --Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Danster

« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2015, 11:04:27 am »
Hi LisaMarie,

I appreciate your reply. First of all, no, I did not feel side effects right away. Initially I felt like I got clarity of thought. Perhaps that was just because mentally I knew I had begun my journey with treatment after a couple decades of being infected with this disease. Secondly, I did not have much liver damage. My fibrosure score was at level 2 which is why my insurance company denied coverage. I was fortunate and extremely grateful that I was accepted by support path for free meds. I have days (daze) where I am completely exhausted and others that I zoom right through as if I were normal. The down days are very noticeable. I manage the advertising for a magazine so I always have 12 plates spinning on 8 sticks. Kind of hard to work sometimes, but the show must go on and I am on a mission to beat this thing.  Thank you for your prayers. I return that to YOU and everyone else that shares what we are going through. There really is strength and comfort as we trudge the road to happy destiny!
Best of luck to you…

Danster
Genotype 3a
Sovaldi/Ribaviron 24 wks
Started Treatment 3/8/15

Offline Danster

« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2015, 11:23:01 am »
Chis,

I am very excited for you! Today I start week 7. I don't like to count the days, weeks or months… but it is hard not to. Doing it in weeks is an easier chunk of time to manage. LOL. To hear that my VL at <15 is a great number after 4 weeks is more than motivating. I needed to hear that from someone. I don't go back to my GI doctor until April 30th. At that time I am sure they will also confirm my progress is very good. For a 62 year old guy, my skin has always been pretty good, despite a little wear and tear. There has been a BIG difference in the texture of my skin in the last few weeks. I am wondering if you experienced that as well? Will it come back? I am a strong advocate of takiing care of myself… (not so years ago which is why I have Hep C in the first place) For now I am using lots of lotions & oils. The SARNA works very well for the itching. I will also follow your advice regarding carrying a daily medication dose with me. I might be reluctant to do this during summer. I live in an area with extreme heat during the summer months. I travel (in my car) every weekday to meet with clients - from one to the next. Not sure if the heat would affect the medication. Your thoughts?

Again, thank you for your feed back. Please let us know your results after 90 days. Prayers and light your way!

Danster
Genotype 3a
Sovaldi/Ribaviron 24 wks
Started Treatment 3/8/15

Offline Billy

« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2015, 11:40:34 am »
I missed a dose early in the treatment once so I had to mark two containers - Morning - and After 5. This treatment effects people in different ways, if I had genotype 1a I would have shot through the treatment without a problem...I felt unbelievably good and wondered what all the fuss about side effects was about.  It wasn't until week 8 that I noticed an itchy rash and by week 10 it had gone ballistic. Makes me wonder if this treatment were not made especially for 1a and not for the 24 weeks required for 3a. The VA reduced the RBV down to 800 mg - 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. Most of the rash and itching went away, but I worry what effect that will have on the final outcome.  Maybe in the final month I'll go back to 1200mg,. My viral was still 57 at week 6 but was undetectable at 8. Insomnia is still an issue.

Offline CE

« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2015, 01:46:22 pm »
Danster,
I would still take a daily dose with you every day. Don't leave it in the car, tho. Do you carry a wallet? You could put at least a Solvadi and 3 Ribaviron in a small plastic baggy and fit it into a pocket of your wallet. There were quite a few times that I was not going to be home in time such as when I would go shopping after work. I think it is pertinent to keep on time with the meds. As for my skin, I always had nice skin too. I will be 62 this year. A few weeks into treatment it got dry to the point that I was slathering my face with moisturizer like crazy. I never got any rashes, but did have a low grade fever and chills in the beginning. Also, my eyes are very dark underneath like I didn't sleep for a week. I do hope that clears up. I am sure it will take time till these meds clear out of my system. Keep posting here of your progress. Blessings to all! -- Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2015, 07:34:51 pm »
I have a little pill container if I am our and about running errands. I have seen a metal UND you can attach to your keys.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2015, 07:04:41 am »
Yes,  I plan on carrying a dose with me. We were at an out of town event, and all I could think of was my evening dose of meds. Since I just finished my first week I guess I'm still in the figuring out what works best phase. Won't happen again though!.
And I've had nausea since that late night dose.... Ginger tea is what I'm trying now. Gotta get through hectic days at work 5 days a week. I also feel like a vice grip is around my liver...anyone else experience  this? It passes but comes on slowly and leaves gradually as well. It doesn't bother me because it's the only side effect that makes me think of an army in there fighting a battle and winning! Another question for y'all, my stools are light, not white as in a dysfunctional liver, but kinda close. I will talk to my Doc about it at next visit, but wonder if it's the meds? At this point I can feel, on week 2, nausea and have had the headaches since day 1. Only nausea seems to be "unfixable"..... sigh..... but if this is as bad as it gets I will survive the next weeks. I do take it in weeks. Trying to change it to months. they sure passed by quickly before I started treatment lol!  I also need to consider that I have a complex cyst on my liver will get results soon and that may have an effect on my body as well. hope I'm not sounding negative because I want to be helpful and not bring people down and I know that I read every word the others are sharing and want to share Hope not dicouragement ! I was so fearful, don't want others to feel that. This is doable! One week at a time.
thanks everyone for sharing. Chris, you are awesome. Danster, thanks so much for responding. Billy too! Remember  I'm just starting and appreciate y'alls input and support!
Have a great week.
Lisa
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline Billy

« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2015, 12:19:48 pm »
I just read an article that says that itching and rashes can be caused by an overloaded body eliminating toxins through the skin....that's why its so important to drink lots of water to help flush the toxins so it doesn't have to resort to an alternate method.

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2015, 01:59:59 pm »
Billy,
Makes .sense, and well normally I can't drink a lot of water I took everyones advice and prepared myself and just drink lots and lots of water and it's not difficult it's as if my body needs it it's the Ribavirin  that seems to require it. if I even think I'm getting a headache most of the time the water seems to heal it I just drink and drink and carry water with me everywhere.
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline CE

« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2015, 02:29:18 pm »
Billy, that really makes sense! I drank so much water over the past 6 months it's a wonder I didn't grow a hump! Lol! But I only had 2 headaches and no rash the whole time! Great advice for all!
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Greatful

« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2015, 08:01:38 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Week one complete and I'm feeling good. This is definitely easier then the interferon. Lisa Marie, I too have had some odd sensations from my liver. The gripping you talked about and some aches. I'm sure it's the meds fighting for us, I urge them on.

Besides the water, I also use yoga and oil pulling to feel better. Yoga helps with any aches and pains while oil pulling helps to eliminate toxins. Google oil pulling, it's just swishing oil in your mouth for 20 minutes a day.

Like some of you have said, I feel like I have really good energy sometimes, then all the sudden I'll be really tired. I'm just grateful for this treatment and feel really positive and I make it through while working. I'm taking it one week at a time as far as a countdown, but really day by day.

Thanks to everyone on the forum, it's such a positive place and feel safe sharing.
Grace
Genotype 3

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2015, 01:57:13 pm »
Ok my fellow SVR users. BAD day. I'm sorry, helpful hint to self: NO JUNK FOOD, SMALLER MEALS. I am so tore up. Stomach. Brain. Tired. Wanna cry my eyes out. 2 days in a row I slacked on my healthy eating..... say a prayer for me!
Thank you
Lisa
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline CE

« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2015, 04:12:37 pm »
Prayers for you LisaMarie. Give yourself time to adjust. You will find what works for you. This treatment is no piece of cake by any means. Praying for you to feel better. Take care.
-- Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Greatful

« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2015, 06:23:59 pm »
Lisa Marie, I feel for you. I experienced some of the same thing this week as far as the not eating well and feeling bad. I know you said you had a stressful job, so that's just adding more to the mix. I'm starting the feel the saturation of the meds in my body, it's that feeling you get on heavy antibiotics sometimes if you know what I mean.
Hep C has been making me feel sick for years, panic attacks, fatigue, anxiety, depression. I am in a lower paying but not stressful job because of Hep C, which now is a good thing. I can sit in my tiny office and drink water and go to the bathroom all day virtually unnoticed.
I agree with Chris, I think we will adjust and figure what we can and can't do while on treatment. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon.
Grace
Genotype 3

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2015, 01:49:25 pm »
Thank y'all. I pulled out if it, only to get hit so hard with severe and pain and pressure that lasted about 45 minutes to an hour. We reluctantly decided to go to ER, but I left after thankfully pulling out of it. But. Today, still feel the bloating (lower abdominal distention) , very strange,so all I can do is attribute it to the meds, and keep making my way through until I figure out what works. What happened last night was awful. Unrelenting pain, pressure, slight nausea, after all day of slight epigastric pain. It just made its way down and turned into that! I got very sweaty ( I work out regularly, don't sweat, and don't throw up), thus the ER visit, because we just didn't know what else to do.
Mercy came, I slept very well, weekly labs ok, but still no liver cyst results.
Thanks for listening. I'm sharing to help, not to hog, and sharing to get input from anyone.
Thanks a hundred times over for prayers!
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline CE

« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2015, 07:19:35 pm »
So happy to announce, I AM DONE!! Completed my 24 weeks! I cannot wait to not take pills tomorrow! Now I will join the waiting gang. This will be tough too. I hope and pray this treatment has done it's job. I will post my results in 12 weeks. Fingers and toes crossed, and lots of prayers that I achieve SVR. Good luck to all that are still battling and those just starting. I continue to pray for you all. Thanks to all my dragon fighting friends for the kind words, strong support, and excellent advice. Best wishes and hugs to all! Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Greatful

« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2015, 08:07:03 pm »
Congratulations Chris! That must feel so great. Wishing you SVR!!!!
Grace
Genotype 3

Offline Billy

« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2015, 09:07:05 pm »
Good luck, thanks for the water advice, most of my itchy rash is gone.

Offline Francis60

« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2015, 09:21:01 pm »
Congratulations Chris, !!
I finished yesterday, I enjoyed binning my " pill counter"..... It's been a privilege to share this journey with you. Now the waiting game begins. Do they tell you your 4 week results as well? I have to wait until after the 12 weeks.
All the best my friend, we have a new life.
Cheers
Liam

Offline CE

« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:15 pm »
Hi dear Liam, it certainly has been a privilege to share our journey but more if a privilege to make a friend. I see my doctor May 1st. I have no idea what my next steps will be at this point. I can't wait to start feeling that incredible vitality that the "cured" speak of. I wonder how long it will take. Well, I hope to hear from you on the "other" side of the forum! Take care and happy new life to you! On to SVR !!! 
Best wishes.  -- Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline tinybim669

« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2015, 01:25:38 pm »
Congrats Chris hope you the best.
I just got my 12 week results back and hep c was Undetected. Yay.... another 12 weeks of pills to go. Good luck to everyone.

Offline Billy

« Reply #196 on: April 20, 2015, 06:24:55 pm »
800 mg of rbv and 3 liters of water a day has the rash all but gone. However,  sleeplessness and brain fog are worse. Last friday I finished a job at 6:30, got paid and lost a 600 dollar check before I could get to the bank on Sat. They put a stop pyment on the check and wrote a new one but I felt like a fool. Today I took a 50 dollar bill to work... it was all gone when I got home and I can't account for 1 cent. I read that RBV can cause those effects.

Offline Michigan

« Reply #197 on: April 20, 2015, 10:15:22 pm »
I am a 42 yr old female with type 3. First day of 24 week Solvadi, ribasphere treatment. I work full time and have a teenage son. SO thankful to find this forum and to be on treatment. Looking forward to get this out of me! My doctor is great and got me on treatment right away, although I've had hep C for 10 years. Just recently went for help. Only close family know of my hepatitis, hoping to survive busy summer months at work without any issues. Nervous, scared, but thankful for treatment.

Offline Greatful

« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2015, 08:45:06 pm »
Hi Michigan, welcome to the forum. There is so much information here, it's great. I'm just two weeks into treatment and would say I have light side effects so far, working full time, so far so good You will make it through treatment and beat the beast.

Billy, I think you are so right about drinking the right amount and more of water. I woke up this morning with a rash starting around my wrist, down to one finger. I had not drank as much as I should for a couple of days and I'm pretty sure that was the issue. I put some Cortaid on it and drank more than enough water today. I can hardly see it now, but sure it was the water. Drink more than than your body weight requirement to keep some of side-effects at bay. I have insomnia anyway and take sleeping pills, the meds are making it worse. I have dealt with this for years, so I'm trying not to let it get to me. Every woman of a certain age has experienced brain fog, so again, nothing new. You will make it through this Billy, there is an end date to the treatment.
Stay strong and have a great rest of the week everyone!
Grace
Genotype 3

Offline Billy

« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2015, 09:46:58 pm »
On the bright side I'm almost down to my last 8 weeks!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.