Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:16:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Genotype 3, Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks  (Read 289662 times)

Offline Billy

Re: Genotype 3, Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2015, 10:32:09 pm »
Yes they do that sometimes, I had one make a perfect ring around my ankle like a bracelet, then shoot straight down to one toe. Pretty weird.

Offline hepc

« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2015, 06:58:44 pm »
hi all, Been lurking on the forum for a few weeks,

31 year old male, starting sovaldi ribi tommorow. Very scared that i will have a bad reaction to these drugs, been putting it off for a month now. This forum is very inspiring. I have gilberts so my billi is high. ast is 167 alt is 107. stage 3 genotype 3. Need all the prayers. Thanks to ce for starting this thread and good luck with svr.

Offline hepc

« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2015, 07:00:06 pm »
Forgot to post that billi is high 1.9 becuase of gilberts. And also lumps is hig hat 3.7 and one else had high lymps(absolute)very worried about that. thanks!

Offline CE

• Genotype 3. Sovaldi & Ribavirin 24 weeks.
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2015, 07:40:49 pm »
Welcome, hepc, and good luck to you. You will be fine. You may experience some uncomfortable sides (everyone is different), but it is is nothing compared to what the beast does to your body. Stay strong, stay focused, and stay with this forum. The support here is awesome and I personally really relied on the friendship and knowledge here.  We all share the same same common factor and will all beat this at some point. I pray for all everyday to be healed. Best wishes to you as you start your journey. Take care.   --Chris
Chris :)
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
Most likely from blood transfusion in 1978
Treatment started November 2014
Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks
End of treatment April 2015
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!
Cured!!!! Praise the Lord!!

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2015, 08:37:56 am »
Hi Hep c, hope I can encourage you by saying I was scared also. Hate meds, just read my past posts, and my recommendation is that you get everything in place, good support system, communicate your needs to those around you, and get started. Chris is right, Hepatitis is the destroyer, the meds are the warriors ready and able to fight for your health! I'm on week 6. My first viral load results just came back and virus is UNDETECTED! I'm ecstatic! Amazed! Empowered! I was at 1 million 5 weeks ago...
As for side effects, again, read past posts, drink water!! For me I am able to work. I am fine. Side effects minimal and inconsistent, not debilitating. If you even feel a headache coming on get to that water! Take a Tylenol or iboprofen. Eat small meals, no fast food. All I can say is it's not as bad as you think and fight to win. God bless, and i just prayed for you.
Lisa
LisaMarie
GT 3a
Tx: Sovaldi, Ribavirin 800 mg
Started 24 week tx April 5, 2015
EOT 9/19/15

Offline Billy

« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2015, 08:58:43 am »
Amazing how fast it KOs that viral load. I agree, its well worth the side effects.

Offline kimharvest

• Fighting to Get Back my Life - GT 3a
    • Vital Wonders
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2015, 09:42:28 pm »
Congratulations LisaMarie! You are doing great! You have come so far! I am so proud  watching you overcome your fears.  I am finding the 4th month to be the hardest but only because it wears you down. Also a bit anemic, so suffering from fatigue and uncontrollable constant riba rage.  Odd belly problems too like jello-belly.  Keep up the great habits and let us all pray this cure is forever for us 3a types. 
   Hang in there Billy!
   Welcome Michigan!
   Chris and Francis60 - All my best to you two! Please let us know your post treatment results please when they come in!!!
   hepc - welcome for joining the secret backbone we all can use.
kimharvest
"Eat healthy food and drink pure water for a healthy life."
GT 3a  15,000,000 VL.
Started Sovaldi/Ribavirin 1/26/15 for 24 weeks.
Doctor Office Dropped me on 5/8/15 at 14 weeks;
Finished 4 months total, two months short.
I do not recommend Grand Junction Gastro!
Not Detected at 3, 6 & 12 months.

Offline kimharvest

• Fighting to Get Back my Life - GT 3a
    • Vital Wonders
Genotype 3, Kicked Out for Riba Rage!
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2015, 11:38:16 pm »
Just got kicked off!  I am half way through my treatment and I met with my nurse-practitioner and mentioned it was a tough month. I said week 13 and 14 were my roughest, but I was doing better but showing wear. My personality has become one of totally annoying and rude. But I was hanging on, trying my best. He decided I could no longer tolerate the anxiety and stopped my treatment. I begged him to let me continue, if it is ever too much I will admit it, but I am hanging in there. He wouldn't change his mind. It feels like I am watching my own murder. It also seems that if you ever try to mention any side effects you get let go. I have never had the chance to list any side effects. Odd. Do these doctors get paid a lump sum whether the patient follows through or not, taking the incentive for them to complete the treatment? I have 10 days to solve this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:37:53 am by kimharvest »
kimharvest
"Eat healthy food and drink pure water for a healthy life."
GT 3a  15,000,000 VL.
Started Sovaldi/Ribavirin 1/26/15 for 24 weeks.
Doctor Office Dropped me on 5/8/15 at 14 weeks;
Finished 4 months total, two months short.
I do not recommend Grand Junction Gastro!
Not Detected at 3, 6 & 12 months.

Offline Billy

« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2015, 11:49:43 pm »
He wouldn't even try to adjust the dosage? What kind of jerk is he?

Offline Greatful

« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2015, 10:37:38 am »
Kimharvest - that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! You are having anxiety, a known side effect. Your doctor should help you by giving you an anti-anxiety med. I know, I had to go on them back in 1999 with interferon and ribovarian. If none of your doctors will help you with this, try meditation or yoga and tell your jerk doctor that it's working. Tell the jerk that you realize it's just anxiety and you are dealing with it. Say whatever you need to so you are allowed to stay on the meds. I am so sorry you have to deal with such a heartless doctor.

I got my first month labs drawn on Tuesday, have an appointment with the dr on Monday. Anxious for the VL numbers. My initial VL was 4.8 mil. I'll post my results as soon as I get them.

Welcome HepC, I like the majority of folks have not had any side effects that keep me from working or operating normally. Overly tired in the evening sometimes, no big deal. You can do this!
Grace
Genotype 3
Tx: Sovaldi, Ribavirin
Started 24 week tx April 7, 2015

Offline hepc

« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2015, 11:17:56 am »
Kim Dont let him do that to you, you worked so hard to get to the 4th month, Be nice and say you just had some temporary anxiety. I am at my two month mark and doing well except for maybe slight dry throat? sore throat, but i dont want to tell my doctor its just really hot so thats why probably. Anyone else had this?god help us all, prayers for everyone going through this treatment.hepc

Offline CE

« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2015, 02:59:47 pm »
@Kim, you need to report this to a patient advocate. OF COURSE there are going to be side affects. There were people that had worse ones than you and their doctor didn't stop such a life saving procedure. I was rude at times too during treatment. Big deal! They'll get over it. Please report this to your insurance company too. They already paid for the treatment!
@ hepc, I had a dry throat and cough during treatment too. It got so dry sometimes, my eyes would water. My eyes also got dried out.
Good luck to you both. Kim, I pray you get back on treatment asap.
Take care.  -Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Greatful

« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2015, 05:20:49 pm »
Great news to share, from 4.8 mil to undetected in 4 weeks! Some slight anemia, but just something to monitor monthly at this point. This medication works everyone, keep up the good fight.
Grace
Genotype 3

Offline CE

« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2015, 05:51:52 pm »
Congrats, Greatful!!! That is fantastic news! My HGB was between 10.3 and 11 for my whole treatment. Just take it easy, you will get winded easily especially with steps. But you will be fine!! Best wishes to you!
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2015, 07:21:57 am »
Hi everyone, I've been out of pocket, for some reason stopped getting email notifications showing replies or comments from y'all. .... idk how to "fix" it.... anyway, wanted to check in and get back on track. I'm on week 8 or 9 I think. I stopped paying attention. I know that's probly' weird, but it's helpful for me. I know my end date, and that's what I'm shooting for.
GOOD, GREAT NEWS: VIRUS UNDETECTED AT WEEK 5!!!! Joy!!
But, as my precious Nurses told me of course I must continue on because the virus hides in organs and tissue and we want to kill it all. But, wow, what a boost to go from a million to zero in 5 weeks! I am an f4, no cirrhosis and treatment naive, but this week the irritability is off the charts. I am feeling quite rude and have decided to carry my xanax to work today just in case. I work with patients and of course co workers who only know I'm different, on some sort of meds for something.... thank God I have wonderful co workers. My family loves me and understands. I made my roommates  5 year old cry yesterday though with my irritability. NOT good! So, since this is the worst it's been with this side effect I made my apologies this morning, cried, made my plan of attack, and got back on this forum. Yesterday I also asked for a few days off next month. Also want to share with new treatment users something I've noticed and that is that with me the side effects are not consistent. Good days and bad days. No certain progression. It's a headache day, or nausea day, then 3 days of, wow, I feel "normal".... I just keep aware and have solutions in place for whatever is going on. The irritability freaks me out though. I strive for peace, balance, respect to all, so I pray this doesn't get worse.  ::) my tinnitus is bad, headache bad, but drinking water and ibuprofen solves it usually.
I think I'm all over the place in this post, so forgive me for that, I have a lot to say!
Oh and my medical bills, labs and MRI's for complex liver cyst are drowning me..... and I have great insurance, do I have not done labs in 2 weeks. I'm tired and crazy. Wonder if, even though hgb labs have been acceptable, if I'm not getting anemic? I was going weekly at first. Counts were out of range, whites up, reds down, but Dr said it was acceptable.
Time to check again?
Be blessed, I'll close now.
Lisa Marie

LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline hepc

« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2015, 08:58:40 pm »
Hi Guys, Great news. 2 week test results came back <15 iu/ml rna detected. Feeling good about the #'s. Billi is a bit high at 3 but doc said i prolly have gilberts. I go in for my one month in about 5 days will update you guys. prayers and healing to all.hepc

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2015, 06:51:00 am »
Hep c,
Great news! I'm anxious for my next labs. They'll be drawn at 13 weeks. At 5 weeks I was already undetected. I was so grateful for the meds. At this point I am doing well, but have been experiencing slight but constant nausea. Nothing serious, but I find it puzzling because I didn't have it until now, 10 weeks in. Also wonder if any of you experience an aching in your muscles? Again, nothing debilitating but it's a new issue and is every evening when I lay down I notice it. Just a dull ache, especially in legs, calves, thigh muscles are most noticeable. I wake up nauseaus too.
One more question, if virus is being destroyed, shouldn't I feel better?
Thanks.
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2015, 06:51:38 am »
Hep c,
Great news! I'm anxious for my next labs. They'll be drawn at 13 weeks. At 5 weeks I was already undetected. I was so grateful for the meds. At this point I am doing well, but have been experiencing slight but constant nausea. Nothing serious, but I find it puzzling because I didn't have it until now, 10 weeks in. Also wonder if any of you experience an aching in your muscles? Again, nothing debilitating but it's a new issue and is every evening when I lay down I notice it. Just a dull ache, especially in legs, calves, thigh muscles are most noticeable. I wake up nauseaus too.
One more question, if virus is being destroyed, shouldn't I feel better?
Thanks.
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2015, 12:18:56 pm »
Also wonder if any of you experience an aching in your muscles? Again, nothing debilitating but it's a new issue and is every evening when I lay down I notice it. Just a dull ache, especially in legs, calves, thigh muscles are most noticeable.

Hi Lisa Marie. I am on Week 4 of 12 weeks of Harvoni+Riba. So it is similar to what you are on. For a couple of days I was experiencing cramps in foot and calf muscles - almost constant in foot arch. I increased my dietary sources of magnesium and potassium (dark leafy greens, bananas, pumpkin seeds brazil nuts, brown rice) and the problem resolved immediately. It may not help your muscle aches. But magnesium and potassium deficiency are often involved in muscle dysfunction. And the more water we drink (which most of us on treatment are doing a lot of) the more potassium we wash out of our body.

All the best to you! :)
kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline CE

« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2015, 04:46:29 pm »
Hi LisaMarie! Great news to hear you are undetected! You are about half way done! As you get further into treatment, the ribavirin saturates your blood and not only attacks the virus, but your whole body! It is a very toxic drug. I ate a banana every day, and lots of green leafy veggies. This helps with the potassium and magnesium loss, which would cause muscle cramps and pain. Like what Kim said, we are drinking lots of water to counter the dehydration, and in turn we are washing those important minerals from our body. I am 6 weeks EOT and still eat that banana and the veggies along with lots of water! I developed a healthy habit because of treatment! The skin on my face actually became very dry and crepey. But within weeks after EOT, it returned to normal. I am 6 weeks EOT and feeling better. Not quite 100%, but getting there. I go for my 12 week labs in July. I try not to think about it cause it makes me nervous. I wish you the best as you finish the second half of treatment. A big SVR will make all those discomforts worth it! Good luck and God bless!   
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline CureSeeker

• Virus Free! Happy Dance Time!
« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2015, 04:50:38 pm »
Hi everyone!  *waves*

My name is CureSeeker, and I am HCV positive.

Im lucky I guess.  Stopped drinking pretty much by the time I was old enough to legally do it  Despite a high VL, and living infected since at least 1993, my LFTs are good and there is no sign of fibrosis. 

I started treatment yesterday.  I felt strange, but that could be psychological I suppose.  Had some tension in my TMJs and shoulders about and hour or so after my first dose, about 4:30PM I crashed and needed to nap for a couple hours, but nothing to really complain about.  Today is much better.

Thanks to those that advised me to eat with the Riba in the other forum.  Ive stocked up on fruit and whenever I start feeling sleepy I go grab a few pieces.  It helps alot with perking me up and the dry mouth.

Congratz to those that have completed treatment!  I cant wait to join you!  :)
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1
Sovaldi & Ribavirin x 24 weeks

2/23/16 - UNDETECTED!  SVR12 achieved.  :D
6/21/17 - UNDETECTED!  1.5 years post treatment.
July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline Justcass

« Reply #221 on: June 08, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »
You all are really giving me inspiration. I am geno type 3 as well. And should be on the meds in a couple of weeks. I just received the Solvaldi and waiting on the ribavirin now. Thank you all for your stories and I am looking forward to having you all to lean on through this 6 month journey! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline notnow

« Reply #222 on: June 08, 2015, 03:56:11 pm »
Hi, I'm new on the forum but so grateful I found this site. I am in week 4 of treatment ribi+sovaldi for geno 2b...I have only 12 weeks of treatment but side effects kicked my butt this week, been pushing myself way to hard not realizing how stronng this stuff is. Bad headaches dizziness fatigue pounding heart emotional cried for two days straight could barely get out of bed. I am a single parent and work fulltime.....this confusion and fatigue is killing me...doc might lower my ribi depending on latest bwork find out tomorrow......I am so scared I havent told many people I have it and I just want to get thru this w/o alienating my friends and family or losing my job.....very happy to hear im not alone and that others are pushing thru this tough task

Offline CE

« Reply #223 on: June 08, 2015, 04:26:42 pm »
Welcome Justcass and Notnow! You will find many friends here, all in different stages of treatment, each having their own unique symptoms, but all with the same virus in common. I am 7 1/2 weeks post treatment now, and hope to hear the word cured in the near future. I had good days and bad. It does get better. Notnow, drink lots of water. At least 8 glasses per day. It REALLY does help with the headaches and dizziness. Eat plenty of green leafy veggies too. You both will find ways to help your symptoms. I worked full time also, but managed ok, and I never told anyone other than my immediate family about the HepC. I work in a hospital, but went to another hospital for my labs. Take one day at a time, you don't need to explain yourself to anyone. Use this forum frequently for your questions, advice, and support. Good luck to you both! May your journey go quickly and reach SVR!! God bless! 
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline TexasC+

« Reply #224 on: June 08, 2015, 07:09:28 pm »
Day 8 of Riba and sov for 24 weeks. Working a lot of hours. Fatigue and poor appetite. Itchy with just a little rash. Headache post meds that lightens up by hour 3. Had some heart flutter today with low bp before work. I tried to drink liquids all day and did a shake for meals. I just wasnt hungry.
Concentration is tough. Did 8 1/2 hours of work and went home and finished up what I could do remote from the computer.
Got out and repotted 4 plants into 5 gallon pots. In this heat it was a bit of a chore. I did a few and came in to cool down then went back out.
I miss the sunshine :(. Have sunblock to put on but getting a liitle sun 20-30 min a day.
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million
unknown date of infection
Sovaldi and ribaviron  24 weeks started 6/1/15
End of treatment date 11/15/2015 VND last 2 labs
3 month follow up 2/22/16 NEGATIVE !! NOT DETECTED

Offline hepc

« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2015, 07:43:36 pm »
Hi All, 4 weeks no HCA detected! YAY!! Just wanted to update and let everyone know this med really is awsome and it works, keep going even when its tough. I pray for us all that we heal and move on with our lives.  One thing i noticed was that my LYMPHS Absolute were high like 4.2, anyone else had that during treatment or before?just curios. Good luck all. will update with 8 week results. thanks!

Offline notnow

« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2015, 11:46:51 pm »
Thanks CE I hope and pray u hear those words cured of hep soon my friend. Im praying my viral load was undetected,  I hear from my doc tomorrow,  worried about my side effects, the highs and lows are terrible, anyone who manages to make it thru this deserves to be cured, I have to force myself to take the meds especially the second dose, things get worse at the end of the day for me, mymemory is sooooooo shot and I get upset I cant remember anything.How can I be so tired and my heart is pounding away....god help me complete this treatment and be cured without going completely crazy

Offline TXLastTime

« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2015, 06:51:24 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and want to my post my experience and it will be helpful for a support system.

A little about me is I have Genotype 3 for the last 27 years. I got it when I was 18 and am now 45yrs old. I have stage 2 fibrosis and drink very rarely and do not use drugs. I imagine that's why I am still alive. As genotype 3 is very aggressive and can kill you fast if you have a drinking problem. I went through Interferon/Ribo treatment about 3 years ago and had a undetectable viral load at week 4. At 5 months into my 6 month treatment I experienced a very bad rash from the Ribo and had to get a steroid shot. I quit treatment 3 weeks early from my 6 months as I was miserable and wasn't getting the support from my doctor I needed. I would soon regret is as 6 months later the virus came back. The doctor said it could of been because I had fatty liver. I ate a lot of sugary foods before and gained around 25lbs during treatment.

Now I am into day 5 of the Sovaldi/Ribo for my new treatment. I have to take this for 6 months again. But, with no interferon its way more manageable. I am already feeling stronger as before I was very fatigued and needed two naps a day just to function. I dropped a bunch of weight before treatment and now know how to control my weight.

I will post blood work results in a few weeks to show my progress. I can't wait to be cured and am so tired of living with this disease. Good luck to everyone!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:28:40 pm by TXLastTime »

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2015, 07:25:22 pm »
Good luck to you, TXLastTime! :) And welcome to the forums.

kim
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline TXLastTime

« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2015, 08:00:50 pm »
Thanks Kim. Here are more of my stats since I can access my medical records now. My viral loads when last checked:

03/2015 was 5.24 Million ALT 57 IU/L and AST 35 IU/L.
03/2014 was 6.1 Million ALT 40 IU/L and AST 26 IU/L

Last HIV test was in 2014 and was Negative. Thank god!

Last Liver Biopsy was 06/2014

Tissue: Liver. Clinical Data: Hepatitis C. Diagnosis: Liver, core biopsy: Chronic hepatitis with the following features: · Inflammatory activity: Grade 1 of 4 (minimal periportal inflammation). · Fibrosis: Stage 2 of 4 (portal fibrosis with periportal extension). · No increase in iron stores. · Histologic findings consistent with chronic hepatitis C. Comment: The Batts and Ludwig system was used to grade and stage this liver biopsy. Gross Description: The specimen are four 0.9 cm to 2.2 cm fragments of tan-brown tissue, submitted in toto. BKS:jmm Microscopic Description: The quantity of sampled liver tissue was adequate for evaluation. The portal areas are expanded by a chronic inflammatory process which is almost entirely composed of lymphocytes. The lymphocytes are forming small aggregates within the portal regions. There is minimal extension of the inflammatory process outside the confines of the portal areas. No lobular inflammation is noted. There is no evidence of ductopenia, ductular proliferation, or inflammatory destruction of bile ducts. No granulomas are noted within the portal regions. The hepatocytes have a very mild degree of steatosis, estimated to involve approximately 5% of the hepatic parenchyma. No other hepatocytic abnormalities or pigmentation is appreciated. Central veins appear unremarkable. The trichrome stain demonstrates increased portal fibrosis with focal areas of periportal extension. The reticulin stain shows focal condensation of the hepatic microarchitecture in the periportal regions. The iron stain shows no increase in iron stores. Control material for the special studies stained appropriately.

How does my biopsy compare to others with long term Genotype 3's on here?

Offline Billy

« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2015, 08:58:58 pm »
Down to my last 3 days! A final check up at the VA thurday and then its just a matter of healing my wounded liver with proper nutrition and exercise. Thanks to everyone for the support....it was a rough road for awhile there.

Offline hepc

« Reply #231 on: June 30, 2015, 08:14:20 am »
hi All, Just inished my 2 months, hanging in there, fatigue and pains on the side and liver...other then that i am doing ok i guess. Its still a long journey to go. How is everyone else doing? this message board is a bit quiet. Kimharvest how are things going? did you get to keep going on treatment? Chris when is your svr date? billy how does it feel to get done with tratment? come on guys keep posting...this board needs some life. thanks!

Offline Francis60

« Reply #232 on: June 30, 2015, 09:43:09 am »
Hi hepc,
Good to see you are on treatment, the time will fly hang in their and don't forget the water!

Offline TexasC+

« Reply #233 on: June 30, 2015, 05:01:02 pm »
Week 5 of 24 weeks riba and sovaldi. 4 week viral load will be resulted by the time my next appointment July 2cnd.
Not sleeping well. Small rash but not bad. Concentration slightly better. Fatigue most likely from not sleeping well. Hemoglobin went up a bit !! Yay me!!
Liver enzymes still normal , but even lower !! Anyone else have ringing in their ears?
19 weeks to go!!! Meds are now coming to my house a huge plus, so no need for the  hour drive just to get my meds. This should be the last of my 2 week appointments. Should be every month after this.
Glad there are some posts. I feel kind of alone in this and your posts really help.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:53:45 pm by TexasC+ »
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million

Offline Francis60

« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2015, 09:40:06 pm »
Hi TexasC

I had some ringing in the ears but it went away, good you are getting the meds delivered. Keep us posted on your VL results. I also felt very alone on this journey, i found it helpful to keep my self busy and exercise (moderate) really helped.
take care
liam

Offline hepc

« Reply #235 on: June 30, 2015, 10:28:53 pm »
Hi, I also had the ringing in the ear once in a while, i think its normal, did anyone have any pull/tugs slight discomfort in the general liver area?

Offline Justcass

« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2015, 11:05:48 am »
Just finished week one of Solv/Riba treatment. So far so good! A little nausea, but my doctor prescribed some meds for it. I hope the rest of the treatment is like this! And I have noticed itching & pain in the right side. :) Hope everyone has a great weekend & Happy 4th of July!

Offline notnow

« Reply #237 on: July 06, 2015, 12:48:12 am »
Hello my hep warriors...hope all is wll w u all. Im going into my 8 th eek of treatment,  doing okay except itching my skin on my arm n legs off, not my best look.....very annoying...trouble sleping also but sooo tired alot of the time. Doctor says my body is handling treatment very well blood results are good and my viral load was undetected at 6 weeks woooooohhhooooo, such good news. I am so scared to be excited and expect to be cured even though my doctor believes I will be. I pray shes right, I am also tired of living with this disease and the fear of spreading it. I had a child while unknowingly infected with this virus and got her tested last week, I should find out tomorrow if shes got hep c, praying n hoping with everything in me shes negative, I cant imagine having her go thru this...wish us luck please..I believe in the power of prayer so maybe u could send one out for her...thank u all for posting and for reading....we are not alone and we can do this

Offline TexasC+

« Reply #238 on: July 06, 2015, 06:32:47 pm »
Notnow I am sending up a prayer for great results for your child. Congrats at the great lab results. I am slightly bummed I had a vl of 200 at 3 weeks 5 days.
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million

Offline CE

« Reply #239 on: July 06, 2015, 07:47:37 pm »
Don't be bummed TexasC+, you will clear. I didn't clear until my 6 week labs. And Notnow, I send prayers for your daughter, but I must tell you I unknowingly got hepc with a transfusion with my first child and went on to have 3 more children. They are adults now. They did not get it. In fact, 2 of them donate blood regularly. Congrats on your great lab results. I had my first post treatment labs done last week and am nervously waiting for results. Like you, I am afraid to get my hopes up. Take care all, and God bless.
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline LilyGarden

« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2015, 08:24:18 am »
Greetings GENO-3 Army!

I just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. I just started a 24 Week Sovaldi + Ribavirin regimen and had no idea this forum and support system even existed until yesterday. I was feeling very alone and now I don’t, so “thank you” to each and every one of you.

I’ve learned more here in these forums in one day than I have from my doctor since this whole ordeal began. I can’t believe how much he’s left me in the dark on some important issues and concerns…now I ‘know what I didn’t know’ and I am equipped to ask the right questions.

Hang in their peeps. And thanks again.
Early 1990s - Contracted HCV
04/28/14 - Diagnosed (VL: 1,218,620, Log10: 6.086, AST: 115, ALT: 149)
02/06/15 - Diagnosed (Genotype: 3, IL28B: CT genotype, Cirrosis: Grade 2, Stage 4)
05/07/15 - Started 24 Week Sovaldi + Ribavirin
06/23/15 - Week 6 results (VL: Not Detected, Log10: Not Detected, ALT: 17, AST: 17)
07/06/15 - Week 8 results (VL: Not Detected, Log10: Not Detected, ALT: 16, AST: 20)

Offline Francis60

« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2015, 09:39:01 am »
Welcome all,

I also learnt more on this forum than any of the doctors combined. Just drink plenty of water be gentle on yourself. 

Offline notnow

« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2015, 02:20:49 pm »
 :D thank u all for your well wishes...Amazing news is my daughter does not have this nasty disease thank god...And at 4 weeks I also had a viralload of less than 15....at 6 weeks it was undetectable so just hang in there...this is a cure.....and I pray your postlab results are cleared negative for this beast hep c.......thank u again

Offline TexasC+

« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2015, 06:46:28 am »
YAYYYYYY I got approved till September!! I am sure there will be labs and more Prior authorization's to do then as I don't complete my 24 weeks till December. BUT I am thankful I can get some emotional rest from fighting the insurance battle for a few weeks.
Itchy yesterday and a headache that hung in there. Heat makes it worse and where my stock is at work has no aircondition. Got a truck in yesterday so packing in boxes and stocking stuff most likely didn't help.
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2015, 01:36:48 pm »
Congrats Mary!! Very good to hear you got your next round of approval so you can focus on healing for a while, not fighting insurance hounds. Astounds me what insurance companies are making people go through. Hang in there! It will be worth it in the end.

best,
kim

Offline mrcat211

« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2015, 01:00:31 pm »
I am desperately trying to start on Medication.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:31:50 pm by jberlin »
2007 Detected post hospital surgery
HCV 1a
RA and Lupus
2016 CURED!!! Free of Hepatitis C- Cirrhosis still present
2015 Harvoni 90 days
2009 VL 1.4million
2009 AST 62
2009 ALT 38
2014 AST 99
2014 ALT 80
2015 AST 96
2015 ALT 81
2015 VL 2.3Million
A2- A3 Necroinflam score
8-2015 F4 cirrhosis GradeA
Portal Hypertension
8-2015 Gastric Varices

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2015, 01:38:02 pm »
Mrcat:

Your solicitation for funding was removed from the above post.  A lot of our members are fighting the same expensive battle you are, and we are happy to answer questions about finding treatment and various treatment options, but solicitations for money is not allowed on our forums.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Good luck,
jack

Offline CE

« Reply #247 on: July 15, 2015, 06:26:16 pm »
Hi all!
Good news! SVR12!!!!!!!!!!
I am ecstatic! Today is my birthday and there is no better present than this! I pray to stay this way and get an SVR24 in October. I still have some slight aftereffects, and my hair is still thinning. But otherwise, I feel good, am eating healthier and have more appreciation for the little things in life. I figured I should post this on the string that I started last November as a ray of hope to all. It has been a long tough battle. And the waiting game is the worse!! Lol!
Thanks to all my soulmates on this forum. You all are a tremendous blessing to me and I continue to pray for you all to reach the cure!
God bless.
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #248 on: July 15, 2015, 07:11:00 pm »
Chris,

Congratulations! I have been there and I know how you feel, and it is awesome! 

Please continue to drop in (all of you) on this forum often and cheer on, and console, and counsel, all of our members here going through various stages of treatment and news, whether good or bad.

Way to beat this dragon!
jack

Offline hepc

« Reply #249 on: July 15, 2015, 07:31:13 pm »
Hi Chris,
Congrats, Excellent news.YAYYYYY! We are all really happy for you. Do you really need a svr24? arent svr12 the last thing and we are done?

Offline Francis60

« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2015, 07:37:05 pm »
Hi Chris
Well done....so happy for you!!! What sweet letters "SVR" I hope I can join you soon.
Enjoy your new life.
Liam

Offline CE

« Reply #251 on: July 15, 2015, 07:53:41 pm »
Thank you!
Jack, I will definitely drop in to cheer and console! This forum was more supportive and informational than the doctor! Everyone here has the same battle and no one else could know what they are going through except for people who are on the same journey.
Hepc, yes, you need an SVR24. It's the icing on the cake!! That is considered the cure point.
Liam, you will be joining the SVR team very shortly! Did you have your labs done yet?
I must say, I was sweating bullets and fretting over this test. I feel a great sense of relief! Until October, that is! Lol
Take care, hugs to all!
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #252 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:55 pm »
Congratulations  Chris! So happy for you! I'm on week..?? 13,14?.not exactly sure, lol because I've decided to just trudge on knowing in Sept I take the last pills.... I do know I am just past the halfway mark and labs have stayed stable. I will not get a viral check until end of tx because at 5 weeks I already had virus free result. Dr says let's just wait until 24 weeks and last one at 36 weeks. I was told if virus free at 36 weeks then I can use the word CURED and that it is now an accepted term in the medical community. This is a wonderful thing to be truly cured while right now I'm simply termed "in remission". I have missed some evening Riba doses. Not often, but a few times. Just felt saturated, and slightly nutty when I chose to not take a full dose. I know it's wrong, but it is what it is and I now firmly tell myself no matter what, take all pills! Headaches stopped completely, nausea started about 10 weeks in. No biggie, Zofran works. Irritability minor, but present, and slight negative thinking creeps in but all manageable. I'm sharing to help others who have just started. It's not easy but it is very doable. Manage my lifestyle and thinking and I'm great. My Dr and staff at Baylor are so encouraging, makes a huge difference in successful tx.
good luck all!
LisaMarie 
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #253 on: July 15, 2015, 08:29:21 pm »
 Oh, and reply to hepc, yes, the board was way too quiet for awhile. I had just started and was quite dissapointed, but it's back to life now! We each need to hear from each other, symptoms and encouragement! Billy, SO happy you are done with tx!! I know you had a hard time with VA, rashes.... very glad to know you have made it.
To those just starting DRINK WATER! !! and I've noticed the symptoms change. No 2 days are alike. I have "normal" days now and then freakishly crappy days that just slap me in the face saying, oh yea, you're on some powerful meds! But all that does is prove to me that I'm stronger than I gave myself credit for. :) I drank quite a bit before treatment. The first weeks were tough on that front too. I have drank some at week 6 but am back on the proverbial wagon again. It's not hard when I set my mind on what's important and that is healing my body and showing some appreciation for the healing powers of this medicine. Don't get discouraged, I have and when I do I phone a friend and get a pep talk.
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline Francis60

« Reply #254 on: July 15, 2015, 08:41:16 pm »
Hi Chris,
I just had my 12 week bloods done,as I am on a trial they will not give me the results until 24 weeks, but the nurse said if you don't hear from us within 10 days it means you are clear.I will only be contacted if the have to retest me. So I am having some stressful days ahead.
Good luck to everyone
Cheers
Liam 

Offline CE

« Reply #255 on: July 15, 2015, 08:50:25 pm »
Liam, no news will be good news! Please let me know. Take care!

Lisamarie, keep up the good work! You are over halfway there! It will go faster now! And you are so right, everyday is different! I remember ripping few heads off at work with that riba rage! Take care and keep us posted!
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Jorah

« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2015, 11:59:28 am »
Gee... :o all these posts about rage and anxiety etc are scaring the sh*t out of me, I have to get treated and waited because I thought interferon was bad....but looks like the other meds are as bad... :P  hopefully I'll get 3 meds and may drop one if I get bad sides. Good to hear from the folks that have svr12.

Offline CE

« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2015, 12:25:00 pm »
Hi Jorah! Please don't fear treatment. It has come a long way and it really is tolerable. I work full time at a very demanding job and never missed a day. The riba rage is the irritability and mood swings that the ribavirin can cause. It was not constant, and only caused me to be crabby sometimes and short with people who aggravated me! Lol! Not everyone gets the same sideeffects. But whatever you may encounter, you will find a way to cope with it in your own way. Treatment is far better than living with HCV forever. Good luck to you and never hesitate to ask questions on this forum. Take care.
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Jorah

« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2015, 07:27:28 pm »
Thanks Chris, I have to see my Hep Docs at the end of the month...see what they think..on which treatment...they already mentioned the 24  week Sovaldi/Riba, but were also hoping for Daklinza to be approved this month or next (that's what Squibb says) maybe 24 weeks with the three. I will also talk to them about Harvoni, but I want it for 24 weeks. I've had it for a long time.
One doctor told me a couple years ago that they also start you with an antidepressant when doing treatment , I don't know if its still valid.
But whatever it is I'm going to do it this time...
Thank you   :)

Offline TexasC+

« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2015, 03:04:04 am »
Hip and back pain kicking my butt this past few days. But I have been doing some heavy lifting in the heat. Our stock area has no air condition and I live in Texas. Rash is not bad. Ringing in the ears better.
Congrats CE !!!!
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #260 on: July 17, 2015, 06:19:57 am »
Jorah, I know in reading the comments about the side effects sounds terrible intimidating, but Chris said it well, the term Riba rage is really a mood affect, an irritability and it is not a constant nor is it uncontrollable. It's an irritability, your normal filter in your brain and sometimes your mouth just doesn't wanna,work! People irritate you some days when normally your mind would work through it or not notice it. I've not missed any work either and I have a stressful job in health profession. I too was frightened of meds. But you can do it with support and arm yourself with knowledge. I had so much anxiety about work/life/meds. Turned out I was wrong is all I can say. It's not interferon. But you do need support. I have anti nausea pills (rarely use), low dose xanax for anxiety, I bought sunscreen, hydrocortisone creams, lol, i was prepared! I am very careful about not eating fast food and drinking lots of water. I rest when I need too, and had family meetings forcing them to acknowledge they understood what this treatment meant to my life as well as theirs! This is called support. We will encourage you. Stay in touch with your nurse too.
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline Jorah

« Reply #261 on: July 17, 2015, 04:41:11 pm »
Hey LisaMarie thanks for your reply. sometimes I have this crazy talk that happens in my head  :D I read stuff and I get all worked up about it. You know: what if that happens to me, what if they kick me off TX like Kimharvest because I can't handle it, what if... what if, and you know with my luck...etc etc
I do want treatment, I just want the best one that will kill the virus and that's it...I doubt the plan will pay to repeat the same treatment considering what they charge for it ...but I must also learn to accept that TX  may not work...but maybe a new product down the road may work  ::)

Thanks kindly..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:05:24 pm by Jorah »

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #262 on: July 17, 2015, 05:20:26 pm »
Hi Jorah. I think many of us here have gone through that kind of mental turmoil you describe prior to starting our treatment ... "will I be able to handle the side effects? the longer I wait the better the drugs get" etc. So welcome to  the club! :)

In my case I knew I had a good chance of being accepted into the Harvoni+Riba trial that is currently curing me 3 months before the trial actually began. And in those 3 months, I spent a lot of time on these forums reading up. I can tell you, I did a complete 180 in my thinking in that period of time, and it was a very important mental shift for me to make. I am glad I had 3 months "advance notice" before starting my trial so that I could get my head together on this. It is a shift that takes time. I understand exactly what you are going through. I nearly talked myself out of participating in the trial at an early stage in my thinking when I first started reading these forums.

One thing that happens for those of us who have lived with Hep C for years or decades is that we have made our pact with it. We feel we are managing it, can slow the progression of liver disease through our diet, supplements, lifestyle choices, etc. And above all, many of us have become fervent about not letting any toxins enter our body ever - not even once. And so the prospect of a taking a bunch of pills (harsh chemicals in themselves) every day for 12 weeks or longer is something we are going to initially be very reluctant to do. From that paradigm, the logical choice seems to be to continue to live with Hep C "just a little while longer until something better comes along."

In other words, our value system is distorted as a result of the pact we have made with this virus over time to convince ourselves we still have some measure of control over our lives. And that skews our judgment.

In the 3 months lead-in time I had to prepare for my trial, I went from being scared off by the possible side effects, to ultimately fighting to be included in this trial through phone calls, emails, everything I could think of to be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

From my reading of all the side effects people were experiencing, I had compiled a 13-page list of protocols I could follow for all the various side effects that might arise (riba rash, riba rage, depression, anxiety, anemia, insomnia, acid reflux, hair loss, high blood pressure, urinary tract infections, cough, nausea, mouth sores, etc.).

By the time I started my trial, I threw the list away (or rather never looked at it again.) My thinking had shifted and I was committed to my new view that NOTHING was as important as removing this virus from my body. (I have probably had it for 45 years.) And I wanted to enter 2016 well, not waiting for an even better cure to come along. I had also "decided" that I wasn't going to have a problem with side effects, that 12 weeks would fly by. And that is what has happened. I have 10 more days to go. Mental attitude is all-important. Our thoughts create our reality.

Wellness to all,
kim

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:37:59 pm by KimInTheForest »

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #263 on: July 17, 2015, 09:29:16 pm »
Amen Kim! So true. And Jonah if you go back through my first posts I had the same fears as you express. Kim is correct in the peace we make with the disease which is partially distorted thinking because it does seem to make sense, why put all these powerful meds in your body? Well, I'll tell you why, the Hep C is a powerful destroyer of the liver and the homeostasis of the body and mind, while the meds are a powerful destroyer of the enemy Hep C. Period. I too was prepared for all possible side effects, but 12 weeks in (I counted today finally lol) I can say I had nothing to fear but the fear itself. I'm a coward and control freak when it comes to meds. We are all doing it on this site and you can too. Have faith and know you are not alone.
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #264 on: July 17, 2015, 09:45:19 pm »
Oh, TexasC+, yes, I have ringing in my ears..... I'm used to it. It is very loud too. I was tested at ENT dr and offered hearing aid that puts a tone on the device which x's out the ringing you hear but opted out. Hope that makes sense. Maybe in the future I will.
Just thought I'd share.
Good luck
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline CE

« Reply #265 on: July 17, 2015, 11:39:59 pm »
It is really interesting about the ringing in the ears. That is actually what prompted me to see a doctor in the first place and then through testing found the hepc. I developed a very loud ringing in my right ear. I an MRI to check for a tumor and hearing tests. The MRI was negative. (They found nothing in my head, lol!) I do have substantial hearing loss though and was also offered the hearing aid, but declined. Then the doc ordered blood tests and found the elevated liver enzymes. And then it all began! I have to wonder if the ringing is nerve damage from the virus. It is very loud, but like LisaMarie said, I'm used to it now.
Take care.
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline Jorah

« Reply #266 on: July 18, 2015, 08:52:49 am »
Thanks Kim and the other replies,  great attitude. I will have to keep that in mind and keep focused.

Offline Justcass

« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2015, 01:42:55 pm »
My first month is ending tomorrow, & 5 more to go! The last 2 days I have been getting very dizzy and vomiting a lot. I take my med's with food and somedays are good, but some are terrible. Does anyone else get dizy from these med's????

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2015, 04:09:55 pm »
My first month is ending tomorrow, & 5 more to go! The last 2 days I have been getting very dizzy and vomiting a lot. I take my med's with food and somedays are good, but some are terrible. Does anyone else get dizy from these med's????

I have not experienced dizziness on harvoni+ribavirin (and harvoni is sovaldi with another drug, ledipasvir - so it is similar to what you are on). I always think 'blood pressure' when I hear mention of dizziness. can you check your blood pressure - either on a home machine if you have one or at one of those booths in drugstores? low blood pressure (lower than your normal) can certainly cause dizziness - especially upon standing up.

kim

Offline Justcass

« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2015, 11:17:59 am »
Yes, I have one!I will start using it pronto! My doctor just told me im anemic! So I guess that's what's doing this! :)

Offline TexasC+

« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2015, 10:28:35 pm »
CE so very happy your done with meds. I can't wait to read your VND in 12 weeks!!
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million

Offline CE

« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2015, 07:20:34 am »
Thanks TexasC+! But I already am SVR12! You may have missed my earlier announcement! Needless to say, I am ecstatic with that!!!
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline HeppyChick

« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2015, 12:48:59 pm »
Yes, I have one!I will start using it pronto! My doctor just told me im anemic! So I guess that's what's doing this! :)

I researched the anemia problem related to the Ribavirin. It looks like you need to increase your oxygen consumption. How? By doing exercise, aerobic and anaerobic! I force myself to the gym twice a week and my labs are normal.

Oxygen = RBC increase and carry more O2 in the bodies' cells.

Good luck

Offline HeppyChick

Re: Genotype 3, Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks HIV/HCV
« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2015, 12:54:15 pm »
Week 13......undetectable Viral Load of HCV!!

HIV already been undetectable for 5 years.

This treatment makes me grumpy, lethargic, exhausted at times, and down in the dumps sometimes!

MAIN COMPLAINT??

I have a lot of hair loss. Anyone else?

stay strong and never give up!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #274 on: July 27, 2015, 01:40:26 pm »
I researched the anemia problem related to the Ribavirin. It looks like you need to increase your oxygen consumption. How? By doing exercise, aerobic and anaerobic! I force myself to the gym twice a week and my labs are normal.

Oxygen = RBC increase and carry more O2 in the bodies' cells.

I agree HeppyChick about increasing one's oxygen intake during ribavirin so that even though your red blood cells are fewer in number due to the hemolytic anemia caused by the ribavirin, they will be carrying as much oxygen as they can pack. I did this mainly through conscious deliberate deep breathing daily (where each inhalation fills and swells your belly first, not your chest). Also sitting up straight. I spend a lot of time in front of a computer for my work. That situation promotes very shallow breathing and often a collapsed posture, both of which minimize oxygen intake tremendously.

I also noticed that my primary muscle weakness due to the riba-anemia occurred for the first hour each morning upon rising. My legs would be so shaky upon rising, I sometimes wondered if they would support my weight. And that makes sense since deep sleep is the time of lowest oxygen intake. So I began doing 10-minutes worth of deep breathing in bed each morning before getting up, and that noticeably improved the shaky-leg problem upon rising.

IMO, deep-breathing is perhaps better for this than hard exercise or gym workouts to increase O2 level in blood. With exercise, although you are increasing your O2, it is because your muscles require more O2 during exercise. So perhaps no net gain in O2 for your organs, brain, other tissues because your muscles are consuming it all. With deep breathing, your muscles don't require more O2, you are simply increasing the oxygen saturation of your blood, which can enrich your organs.

best,
kim
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:47:02 pm by KimInTheForest »

Offline MontanaBlue

« Reply #275 on: July 28, 2015, 10:29:14 pm »
Hello All,

New to posting, but have been reading for 14 weeks as this is my 14th week out of 24 -- Geno 3.  I have had the usual side effects.  About 3 weeks ago I have had a hard time breathing, shortness of breath, can't catch my breath.  Got really worried and went to see a Pulmonary Doc.  He said he has had one other person come in with the same side effects. I am an X smoker as of 14 weeks ago. Why not kill two dragons at one time.  Have not had a cig since.  Doc tested me for COPD, don't have that.  Going in for lung xray to see if I have fluid in my lungs.  I will know the results Thur.  He also said I might need an Cardiac Echogram, that is the second step as I could have pulmonary hypertension, NOT GOOD.  Just wondering if anyone else has had breathing problems with these meds - Sovaldi and Rib. I am hoping it is a side effect from meds cuz I just cant handle anymore pressure. I have search the boards and only found on other post about breathing problems.  She never wrote about what her doc said.  I hope she is fine.  Anyway, any one else having breathing problems?  I am really worried as it is getting worse everyday.  Please share your thoughts with me as depression is setting back in.  BTW - Had Hep C since 1980, no other treatment, virus cleared at 4 weeks, Liver biopsy stage 3-4 before starting TX.  I felt what do I have to lose if you know what I mean.  Thanks for reading and look forward to reading your thoughts.  God Bless and thank you to everyone on this site.

Offline CE

« Reply #276 on: July 28, 2015, 10:46:58 pm »
Hi MontanaBlue, Welcome to the forum. Have you reported your breathing problems to your liver doc? This could be caused by the ribavirin, as it destroys your red blood cells making you anemic.  Your then cannot get enough oxygen to all parts of your body, which causes you to be winded easily. This is a common side of Ribavirin, but needs attention. What was your HGB(hemoglobin) on your last blood test? I don't want to alarm you, but increasing shortness if breath is an urgent matter. Please contact your liver doc asap. You may just need a decrease of the riba, or some Procrit to help your red blood cells. My HGB dipped very low (10.3) which caused me to be short of breath on exertion, but did not need treated. Best of luck to you and please let us know how things go. You are in a great forum for info and support.
Take care and best wishes, Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline hepc

« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2015, 10:50:21 pm »
Yes had the shortness of breath thing once in a while, very scary, after sovaldi usually. Almost felt like heart was going to stop. hemoglobin fine. just side effect of the meds but always check with your doc anyway.

Offline hepc

« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2015, 11:30:51 pm »
Hi, at the 14 week mark, i dont have rashes but i have alot of ichy pimples daily? is that the rash everyone was talking about?

Offline cazbyrd

• If healthy you have everything
« Reply #279 on: August 01, 2015, 04:17:20 pm »
Hello All...New to the forum...started on my 5th week of Solvadi/Ribavirin yesterday & will have my 1st lab done on Wednesday 8/5...Hoping for the best but we'll see...Contracted Hep c in 1978 when it was just called non A/B...turned 65 in February & during my "welcome to medicare" Drs appt  it was discovered that I had Hepatitis C Genotype 3a...Always thought I was extremely healthy & all the little annoyances were just part of growing...now I'm not so sure if they weren't part of having this disease running through my body...amazingly I've had no nausea or headaches...I do have a  problem with shortness of breath but I had asthma when I was younger so I'm used to that & how to alleviate it...my main complaint is how tired I feel by at least 2pm everyday...I take my Solvadi & 3 Ribavirin while I'm having breakfast @ 7am & final dose of 2 Ribavirin @ 5pm...so far this time works out for me...I cant wait to see my results & will let y'all know...Thanks to all of you for being there for each other...I'm glad to be part of it... 8)
65 female
Contracted 1978
GT 3a 5/15
7/2/15  Solv/Riba 24 weeks
VL 484,970
4 wk VL 18
8 wk VL <12 UND
12 wk  UND
10/2/15 ANEMIC so RIBA lower'd 800 to 400 mg
EOT 12/17/2015
24 wk VL  UND ALT/AST 9/15

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #280 on: August 01, 2015, 06:41:38 pm »
Welcome to the forums, Cazbyrd - and to the journey to being cured! I hope you have a smooth ride. :)

kim

Offline CE

« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2015, 07:58:24 pm »
Welcome Cazbyrd! I find it amazing that we thought all along we were in excellent health while unknowingly living for 30+ years with HepC! Mine was discovered thru a routine well-visit blood work also. I also had some strange annoyances for years, but never in my wildest dreams would I ever have thought I had this. It floored me! 
Eat healthy and be sure to drink lots of water. I wish you all the best as you battle this beast. You WILL win!! Take care.
Chris
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!

Offline cazbyrd

« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2015, 08:22:56 pm »
Thanks Kim & Chris...been reading both of your postings from the past week...I've gotten quite a bit of info from both concerning breathing or should I say the lack of...that has been my biggest side effect besides the fatigue but whats one without the other...good food & lots of water...we will all make it.....
65 female
Contracted 1978
GT 3a 5/15
VL 484,970
4 wk VL 18
8 wk VL <12 UND
12 wk  UND
EOT 12/17/2015

Offline Danster

« Reply #283 on: August 01, 2015, 10:17:13 pm »
I haven't been on the forum in a few months. This has been a long journey and I am finally down to 21 days (daze) In a nut shell, for all of those just starting the 24 week treatment, this is doable! I have not missed a day of work yet. I also have an extremely demanding job. In the beginning the hardest thing I encountered was rash and terrible itching. It came on in my 4th week and lasted a month and a half…two months. Glad it passed.For any of you who might encounter itching, I was referred by a member on this forum to get "Sarna lotion with camphor.05% and menthol 0.5%. It was the ONLY thing I tried to provided relief!
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, finally, and all of you will as well! I tested negative after 6 weeks and have remained so to date. I am convinced that at the end of this, I will be cured of Hep C. I want to wish all of you the VERY BEST. Stay strong and committed! 

Best regards!
Genotype 3a
Sovaldi/Ribaviron 24 wks
Started Treatment 3/8/15

If you think you can or if you think you can't — You're right!   ~Henry Ford~

Offline Greatful

« Reply #284 on: August 02, 2015, 10:21:08 am »
Hi everyone, I have not been on the forum for a couple of months. Glad to see some new members and see everyone doing so well. Huge congratulations to Chris, so happy for you.
The beginning of July my HGB went down to 9.9 and I basically hit a wall physically and mentally. My doctor reduced my Ribovarin from 1000mg a day to 600mg. A week later my HGB was back up to 10.5 and I was feeling much better. I'm still on this reduced does and getting labs this week. I fear this will impede my ability to clear the virus, but my doctor said it will not affect the viral load.
I then went on a wonderful trip to see family in Alaska! I returned home and on July 4th fell in my backyard and broke my wrist :-/
I had surgery a week later and had a plate screwed into my bones to hold everything together. I'm just now starting to focus back on my HepC treatment and wonder if surgery and pain melds I used will have an affect on my treatment outcome.
Anyway, folks I'll let you know how everything turns out. My body is dealing with two big hits, and I'm back at work! You are stronger than you think, just keep pushing through.
Grace
Genotype 3

Offline cazbyrd

« Reply #285 on: August 10, 2015, 02:58:18 pm »
Hello everyone...I'm a little bit disappointed today...got back my results from my 4 week CBC and I fully expected to be undetected but my RNA is detectable @ 18...I know its a drop but..........................anyway my gastro changed my Ribavirin dosage from 1000 to 800 because my Hgb is 9.9...pretty anemic I guess...that answers a lot of questions about my muscle aches & lack of air...just hoping that this will not affect my VL nor the total outcome of my treatment...WOW...my very best to all of you... 8)
65 female
Contracted 1978
GT 3a 5/15
VL 484,970
4 wk VL 18
8 wk VL <12 UND
12 wk  UND
EOT 12/17/2015

Offline cazbyrd

« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2015, 06:57:52 pm »
Today is a very special day for me...13 years ago today I put down the needle & have never picked up that bad habit again...Not until this year during a random blood test did I know that I had picked up Hep c...early in 1978 I found out that I had Hep non A/B the same day my Dad found out he was dying of Leukemia...he died that year so I didn't think anymore about my illness...I continued to dabble with drugs off & on for the next 29 years...I guess I'm very fortunate because other than being so very sick in the beginning I have never shown any symptoms...I'm thinking all of these little annoyances over the years such as shortness of breath that I blamed on my asthma & insomnia & fatigue that I blamed on my age was probably due to Hep C...I really am very healthy & will hopefully be amazed at how good I feel once I have beaten this thing...I am very thankful for my treatment...and the time I have yet to live clean sober & virus free..my best to all of you who are fighting this battle along with me & especially to all of you who have fought & Won...

CAROL
65 female
Contracted 1978
GT 3a 5/15
VL 484,970
4 wk VL 18
8 wk VL <12 UND
12 wk  UND
EOT 12/17/2015

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2015, 08:57:14 pm »
Congrats Carol on being clean & sober 13 years today! That calls for a celebration! :)

kim

Offline cazbyrd

« Reply #288 on: August 21, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »
Thank You for your well wishes Kim.... 8)

CAROL
65 female
Contracted 1978
GT 3a 5/15
VL 484,970
4 wk VL 18
8 wk VL <12 UND
12 wk  UND
EOT 12/17/2015

Offline TexasC+

« Reply #289 on: August 22, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »
Week 12 ending tomorrow. Labs are ok. H and H is holding and I am on riba 1200 mg, with sovaldi 400. I am at the half way mark!!
Lots of sleepless nights, I average 2-4 hours. Working a ton of hours.
I am now on every 6 week Dr visits. Next  viral load and labs are sept 2cnd.
Initial viral load 6 million, week 4 200, which doc said dont worry. I am praying for VND !!!
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2015, 07:07:48 pm »
Week 12 ending tomorrow. Labs are ok. H and H is holding and I am on riba 1200 mg, with sovaldi 400. I am at the half way mark!!
Lots of sleepless nights, I average 2-4 hours. Working a ton of hours.
I am now on every 6 week Dr visits. Next  viral load and labs are sept 2cnd.
Initial viral load 6 million, week 4 200, which doc said dont worry. I am praying for VND !!!

Congrats on reaching the halfway mark!! That's a big accomplishment because 24 weeks is a long haul. I know I felt on top of the world when I reached my halfway mark, which for me was just 6 weeks.

Note to everyone on treatment: Do your best to take care of yourselves even though sleep is often hard, and for me diet and nutrition were also very hard since I was experiencing a lot of appetite suppression. And then with the low hemoglobin on top of that from the ribavirin, you can come off treatment in a badly depleted compromised condition, even though you will likely be rid of HCV. I am nearly 4 weeks post-tx, and am basically very sick. I think it is either a never-ending flu or something like that. And I think it is entirely due to the fact that I did not have a proper night's sleep in 12 weeks (usually just 2 hrs a night), I could not eat much, I couldn't eat my usual healthy diet (it didn't appeal at all), and my hemoglobin was below 100 (or 10.0 in some systems) for most of that time. So figure out a way to keep yourself rested and properly fed!

Will go for my 4-week EOT labs on Tuesday, then will get an appt with my GP after that.

best to all,
kim
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:12:53 pm by KimInTheForest »

Offline cazbyrd

« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2015, 08:21:50 pm »
Hoping for the very best in your EOT labs Kim...I'm also scheduled to have my viral load & labs done on the 2nd of Sept TexasC+...I'm about a month behind you starting mine on July 2nd...Congratulations on your being 1/2 way there...I've only had a few sleepless nights & that was just in the beginning...I take my last 2 Ribas @ 5pm & 1/2 of an Atarax around 9pm..I've not had a problem with my appetite at all...only eating lots of fresh fruits & proteins mostly consisting of chicken cod or salmon...and water...lots & lots & lots of water...there are those days I have to force myself & don't get a s much in me as I should and I can really tell the difference...that's when I suffer with side effects...So Kim you sure are right about keeping yourself rested & properly fed...Blessings to all

CAROL
65 female
Contracted 1978
GT 3a 5/15
VL 484,970
4 wk VL 18
8 wk VL <12 UND
12 wk  UND
EOT 12/17/2015

Offline janca

« Reply #292 on: August 24, 2015, 09:56:01 pm »
Hi, I am new to the forum and my name is Jan.
I found out I had Hepatitis C genotype 3 three years ago. I have to have a liver transplant 23 months ago.
I recently ended up purchasing my drugs from India and have been taking them two weeks today. I have no numbers but as I am seeing my Doc in two days and I am sure he will take blood and let me know the results.
My side effects have been rough with lack of appetite, upset stomach, off and on headaches, loose stools, as well as just feeling exhausted all the time.
I am drinking lots of water and I have the meal replacement ensure for when I just cannot stomach food.
If any of you can offer me some ideas on how to deal with these side effects I would appreciate it.
Thank you

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #293 on: August 24, 2015, 10:08:08 pm »
Hi Janca. Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with side effects. I had diarrhea for a week when I was on treatment. Others here recommended the "BRAT" diet for that. I tried it after a week, and my diarrhea stopped almost immediately. Could have been coincidence, but I think it was the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. (Rice and toast are supposed to be white, and applesauce is suppose to be from peeled apples so there is no roughage to irritate/stimulate digestive system.)

Maybe others here will have other suggestions. I too found it hard to eat during treatment.

Best of luck to you,
kim

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #294 on: August 25, 2015, 08:50:05 am »
Fortunately I have no problem eating although sometimes I wish I did, lol and one thing I can say is that each week seemed to bring different side effects. I kept my anti nausea medicine readily available, but did not experience nausea until 7 weeks into treatment the beginning was being tired and headache consistently.  NO fast food!  I am Not sure what the correlation is, and it would taste fine to me but I would always end up feeling terrible by the end of the day every single time I ate test one particular fast food restaurant so I skip all processed and fast foods. I am not sure what the correlation is, and it would taste fine to me but I would always and up feeling terrible by the end of the day every single I ate hat 1 particular fast food restaurant so I feel all process and fast food.  Water, water, water! Excercise  a little each day. Irritability a problem  sometimes. But overall I have been able to take all my medicines including supplement and I just go with the flow as far as side effects because they literally do not stay for more than 3 to 5 days and then I will have a few very good normal days.so, this helped me not get discouraged.  I had a lot of family meetings before I started my medicine and I let my boss know as well but my coworkers do not know. They just think I'm crazy I guess but I have not missed any work due to the side effects And much of this is mental. They say, get rest and know that it will be worth it I have 4 more weeks left I am so grateful and honestly there were days when I said no more I don't want to do this anymore! my doctor said that was fine, for 5 minutes then get back on trAck
LisaMarie
GT 3a
EOT 9/19/15

Offline cazbyrd

« Reply #295 on: August 25, 2015, 11:25:10 am »
Welcome Jan...sorry you are having such a rough time..my first few weeks were pretty bad also but as long as you tell yourself it wont last forever...each day was a new experience & a new side effect but none of them lasted long...just be sure and drink lots of water not just liquids but WATER...the ensure is a good idea tho...I think the Gastro problems are on again off again......our systems are just trying to get used to the killing of these little bugs & they must go somewhere...at least that's what I would tell myself during those many times I spent in the bathroom...I am a third of the way through with 16 weeks to go...doesn't seem so far now but we'll see and good wishes to all of you... 8)
65 female
Contracted 1978
GT 3a 5/15
VL 484,970
4 wk VL 18
8 wk VL <12 UND
12 wk  UND
EOT 12/17/2015

Offline Sookiesue2

• I got this!!
« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2015, 01:14:28 pm »
Hi all,

Following this post as I will start the very same treatment on September 9th. Good luck to all of us!
Teri
62 yr old
Gt 3a
Probably had since early 70's drug use
Dx 2003
VL 22,900
F1 F2
Started Sovaldi/Ribavarin 24 weeks on 9/10/15

Offline cazbyrd

« Reply #297 on: August 25, 2015, 05:39:23 pm »
Hello Sookiesue2...so glad to see you here...many blessings to us all...
65 female
Contracted 1978
GT 3a 5/15
VL 484,970
4 wk VL 18
8 wk VL <12 UND
12 wk  UND
EOT 12/17/2015

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #298 on: August 25, 2015, 06:26:43 pm »
Hi all,

Following this post as I will start the very same treatment on September 9th. Good luck to all of us!

Hi Sookiesue. Welcome to the forums! That's great that you are set up to start treatment next month. You are in all likelihood on your way to being cured! :)

kim

Offline Sookiesue2

• I got this!!
« Reply #299 on: August 25, 2015, 06:54:02 pm »
Thank you Kim! I hope so :) looks like you are cured and have supported many people in this group. Can't wait to get this over with and be cured once and for all! I'll let y'all my progress :)
Teri
62 yr old
Gt 3a
Probably had since early 70's drug use
Dx 2003
VL 22,900
F1 F2
Started Sovaldi/Ribavarin 24 weeks on 9/10/15

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.