Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2024, 01:09:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length


Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55122
  • Total Topics: 4850
  • Online Today: 127
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)  (Read 19894 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Hi All,

Just got back from my ID hero doctor and he is recommending a switch for me. Based upon my current itchy situation, my F4 and my original over 8 million VL and the new FDA guidelines for S/O he is sending in to switch me over to Harvoni for 12 weeks. The insurance Company can either choose to fight this or just be quiet and make the switch because it will save them money. Either they pay for 12 more weeks of S/O then they originally approved; making it 24 total or they approve the 12 weeks of Harvoni.  Should get interesting, wonder how this will all play out.

FYI: those already on Harvoni, the latest numbers in the study he shared with me show a 99% cure rate for Harvoni for those with 1a, either compensated or decompensated who did the 12 week pill a day. 12 weeks if your VL was over 6 Million to begin with and under 6 Million it's 8 weeks. I don't exactly remember the cure rate for those who are on for 8 weeks only but it was somewhere in the mid nineties.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am thankful to all of you for sharing this journey with me...

~Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline lporterrn

  • Member
  • Posts: 1,969
  • LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 02:09:25 pm »
I sure like your ID doc!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Bucky

  • Member
  • Posts: 341
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »
Hi All,

Just got back from my ID hero doctor and he is recommending a switch for me. Based upon my current itchy situation, my F4 and my original over 8 million VL and the new FDA guidelines for S/O he is sending in to switch me over to Harvoni for 12 weeks. The insurance Company can either choose to fight this or just be quiet and make the switch because it will save them money. Either they pay for 12 more weeks of S/O then they originally approved; making it 24 total or they approve the 12 weeks of Harvoni.  Should get interesting, wonder how this will all play out.

FYI: those already on Harvoni, the latest numbers in the study he shared with me show a 99% cure rate for Harvoni for those with 1a, either compensated or decompensated who did the 12 week pill a day. 12 weeks if your VL was over 6 Million to begin with and under 6 Million it's 8 weeks. I don't exactly remember the cure rate for those who are on for 8 weeks only but it was somewhere in the mid nineties.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am thankful to all of you for sharing this journey with me...

~Mel~

Hello Mel,
Well, you gave it a good try and S&O wasn't for you so I am glad that you sought out another avenue to attack the dragon.
Was the 99% cure without having to use the Riba?
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline Doluska

  • Member
  • Posts: 86
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:58:12 pm »
Mel! Dear! I know, that you will be cured! Why? Because you are the real fighter and so determine to win! It will be your personal reward this 12 weeks SVR undetected!!!!happy Thanksgiving! D

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 03:33:04 pm »
I sure like your ID doc!

Me too Lucinda!! He's been so supportive and I'm sure if anyone can get this approved its him. He mentioned he was about to get on a conference call to fight for another patient's authorization. He said when the denial comes across he insists on a conference call to rectify the situation because it's more effective and the patients don't have to wait as long.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

~Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 03:38:58 pm »
Bucky, he didn't mention the Riba yet but I'll ask when I go back in two weeks. Meanwhile I am to continue with the S/O until the Harvoni is approved and arrives.

Doluska,

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. All of you help to keep me strong and motivated. I'm so humbled and grateful!!

~Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline hoping4thebest

  • Member
  • Posts: 11
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 04:51:32 pm »
Wonderful news Mel, I know where I'm going for treatment......

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 10:11:25 pm »
Hi Hoping,

I will be hoping and praying they can help you!! I pray they take your insurance and you get to see them next week!! I wouldn't wait until January to see doctors you don't connect with when we have these amazing ID doctors on our doorstep!!

I'd recommend you bring whatever results you can gather from previous tests including MRI, Ultrasound, blood, etc. The more details you can share the faster you will be able to get on the medications.

For me. I had to have an Ultra Sound, MRI and recent blood work before I could start treatment. He said he needs to completely understand what's happening inside to make sure he gives me exactly what I need to cure the Beast!

The new office in Princeton has limited hours for him but I know he's there every Wednesday am and since the office is so new it's not crowded or busy yet.

~Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline JillLynn

  • Member
  • Posts: 205
  • contracted 1973/ peg/rib 1999 & 2004/on harvoni
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 09:42:53 am »
that sounds like a great plan Mel.........always like hearing GOOD news for sure.     

Jill

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:31:35 am »
Thanks so much Jill, here's hoping his master plan works!
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline UndetectableC

  • Member
  • Posts: 18
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 07:18:56 pm »
I think you have a good chance of getting your wish, Mel,  as that's pretty much how I wound up on Harvoni, myself. Fewer weeks of treatment is a huge savings for the INS co. Sounds win-win to me!  Best of luck!

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 04:32:03 pm »
Still no news patiently waiting while I continue taking the S/O, I will just  itch an extra day but I figure it's an extra day of guaranteeing I am cured at the end of this road.

Whatever it takes, I can do this however when this is all over I may need to run away from the real world for a month or two! Anyone have a nice beach house for cheap rent?

~Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »
Have some more news,

Just got off the phone with Accredo and apparently they received the prescription today and it is approved however it takes them 24/48 hours to process. She also informed me (after I asked) that it was approved the original script and 5 refills for 24 weeks total. So that means this Chica is getting 24 weeks of Harvoni after completing 8 weeks of S/O - take that you stupid Hepatitis C!

I have a long way to go but I will make it through and thanks to you guys may stay kinda sane in the process :)


~Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline PaulG

  • Member
  • Posts: 38
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 03:58:30 pm »
Great news hope all goes well

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 05:19:49 pm »
Great news hope all goes well

Thanks PaulG, I have been pretty sick so I am hoping that moving to Harvoni and a diminished virus will allow me to get closer back to having a life again; one can hope anyway.

M
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline Bucky

  • Member
  • Posts: 341
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 06:02:30 pm »
Have some more news,

Just got off the phone with Accredo and apparently they received the prescription today and it is approved however it takes them 24/48 hours to process. She also informed me (after I asked) that it was approved the original script and 5 refills for 24 weeks total. So that means this Chica is getting 24 weeks of Harvoni after completing 8 weeks of S/O - take that you stupid Hepatitis C!

I have a long way to go but I will make it through and thanks to you guys may stay kinda sane in the process :)

Oh Mel,
I am so happy that you got approved for 24 weeks. Now that you have accomplished this I hope that you will be able to relax and finally get some sleep! After two months on S&O, I would say that the dragon is very very weak so the Harvoni will slap the s**t out of it!
Bucky


~Mel~
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 08:26:09 pm »
Thanks so much Bucky,

I will relax when I get the first shipment and can believe it's real. I can't wait to stop scratching like a dog with fleas! I will probably get one more blood test before i start or a couple days after.

I talked to my IDNurse and she said absolutely do what I am doing, even though things are "approved" until we have them in hand it's best to continue and deal with the itch.  It's going to be very interesting to go from S/O combo directly over to Harvoni. It should be interesting how my body reacts, I really hope it reacts in a good way.

M
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline trapper

  • Member
  • Posts: 56
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 09:31:41 pm »
mel    I wouldn't mind doing what your doing. I was approved for 12 weeks of s/o prior to new guidelines.  My condition now requires 24 weeks of s/o treatment instead of 12. I've got to get with my ID dr. to find out what they really want to do.  Going from s/o directly to harvoni cause any problems, has your dr said anthing?  If there are no problems I think I would like to do harvonie for the 2nd 12-week also.  Im 6-weeks in s/o undetected at 4- weeks.  Don't have any side effects to speak of.    I don't know what they will do now.  Harvonie's cheaper than s/o and a higher cure rate and I want to know real soon what they are going to do sooner than later.  good luck   trapper

Offline BattleTheBeast

  • Member
  • Posts: 817
  • Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:17 pm »
mel    I wouldn't mind doing what your doing. I was approved for 12 weeks of s/o prior to new guidelines.  My condition now requires 24 weeks of s/o treatment instead of 12. I've got to get with my ID dr. to find out what they really want to do.  Going from s/o directly to harvoni cause any problems, has your dr said anthing?  If there are no problems I think I would like to do harvonie for the 2nd 12-week also.  Im 6-weeks in s/o undetected at 4- weeks.  Don't have any side effects to speak of.    I don't know what they will do now.  Harvonie's cheaper than s/o and a higher cure rate and I want to know real soon what they are going to do sooner than later.  good luck   trapper

I am actually glad I made it through 7 plus weeks of S/O, not sure how I did but I did and looking forward to getting on Harvoni and don't ask me how my doctor got it approved for 24 weeks but he did and I guess that means I am pretty sick which may be why I feel pretty bad. I just keep refusing to give in, it's not in my DNA. 

The doctor actual wants me to stay on the S/O until I have the Harvoni in hand and when I do,  the next day I stop S/O and start Harvoni and so begins 24 more weeks to kill the beast.

M
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline Bucky

  • Member
  • Posts: 341
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 10:19:37 pm »
Thanks so much Bucky,

I will relax when I get the first shipment and can believe it's real. I can't wait to stop scratching like a dog with fleas! I will probably get one more blood test before i start or a couple days after.

I talked to my IDNurse and she said absolutely do what I am doing, even though things are "approved" until we have them in hand it's best to continue and deal with the itch.  It's going to be very interesting to go from S/O combo directly over to Harvoni. It should be interesting how my body reacts, I really hope it reacts in a good way.
Hi Mel,
Since it doesn't appear that you are doing Riba with the Harvoni, you are just switching out the med that is driving you crazy with the itching. I have been forum hopping and I don't see on the others where Harvoni is causing many SE at all.
Bucky

M

In the blue box again I see!!!
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline Rubye

  • Member
  • Posts: 130
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 02:07:10 am »
You will definitely be cured with all this time invested in treatment Mel. I think Harvoni will be a lot easier for you.
How the heck did you find such a great doctor anyway? Maybe it has to do with his being an ID Regardless, I'm glad you have him.

Offline JillLynn

  • Member
  • Posts: 205
  • contracted 1973/ peg/rib 1999 & 2004/on harvoni
Re: The switch is on for me; moving to Harvoni from S/O (pending approval)
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 10:38:45 am »
that's great news Mel.  That itching will drive one insane.          Hope the Harvoni does the trick for you.   So far I've had NO itching from it and I pray you won't either!

 


© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.