Hepatitis C Main Forums > Living with Hepatitis C

Drinking Wine??

(1/3) > >>

Sandra:
Is it ok to drink the occasional glass of wine if you have Hep C.  When I say occasional I mean 1-2 glasses of wine a week.

badbradley:
  NO!

BattleTheBeast:
What BadBradley said "NO"!!!!!

It's complete poison to you, might as well just drink some bleach....

JillLynn:
Hi Brenda.
I haven't drank in 35 years.
My neighbor who was recently cured after 2 tries with treatment,  drank wine his whole life.....in moderation.
So I don't know......I can't handle alcohol but he drank a couple glasses of wine and had HCV for 40 years (same as me and we are the same age).....His liver was NO worse than mine and I never drink alcohol.  so who's to say........I know most will say no drinking.   just saying I know my neighbor drank wine in moderation like you are mentioning  and it didn't make his liver any worse than mine with no alcohol.   

He is also cured now for 6 months and even had a martini a few mos. ago.
Will I?  NO.....If I could stop at 2 glasses of wine I sure would......but I've never been able to stop at 2 since I was 19 years old so I "ain't" gonna try it now.

Mike:
Hi Brenda,

As a general rule, those with HCV should not drink. This is especailly true if you have liver disease.

Research consistently demonstrates that alcohol can accelerate liver damage in HCV infected persons. The bulk of the research was conducted on heavy drinkers  2+ drinks per day. However, research has been conducted on moderate drinkers (1 drink per day) with adverse results noted.

In your case, you would be considered a very light drinker, with only 1-2 drinks per week. I haven't found any research relating to this particular  group and HCV; but, as a rule of thumb, better safe than sorry.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes, Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version